• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Did I get caught in the crossfire?

53 posts in this topic

No doubt. I wish I had another!

If you can get someone on the forum to provide another book in the same condition, you could make the other bidder a second offer and you and the other forumite could split the profit.

There's a lot of collectors out there who still think 149 is a $150 book, because that's what it used to sell for...

Just like the folks who think ASM 129 is a $300 book... just because 9 years ago it was...

Just like the folks who think ASM 129 is a $300 book... just because 9 years ago it was...

ASM 129 is without a doubt one of the most overpriced Bronze Age comics. I'd rather buy 10 CGC 9.4 Hulk 181's, than sink any money into $800-$1K 9.4's of ASM 129...

Truly bizarre..

There are a lot more Punisher fans out there than you guys realise...the demand is obviously there.

Sure, and the recent Punisher Movie news certainly didn't hurt. This one has turkey written all over it, and ASM 129 is by far the most exposed, high-dollar book on the market today.

Sure, and the recent Punisher Movie news certainly didn't hurt. This one has turkey written all over it, and ASM 129 is by far the most exposed, high-dollar book on the market today.

Do you really think there are people buying/speculating on this book based on the upcoming movie, rather than a love/appreciation/nostalgia for the character?

For their sakes, I sure hope not. blush.gif

Do you really think there are people buying/speculating on this book based on the upcoming movie, rather than a love/appreciation/nostalgia for the character?

Well DUH!! grin.gif

On that note, does anyone really spend $5K on a common Bronze Age comic (in CGC 9.6-9.8) just for the "love of comics"?

On that note, does anyone really spend $5K on a common Bronze Age comic (in CGC 9.6-9.8) just for the "love of comics"?

Well. some claim to...

But, super high grades aside, which we know are mostly about the $$$, ASM #129 is seeing pretty good pricing on all grades, much like Hulk #181. I don't think that sort of activity can be totally explained away as the work of investors/ speculators.

But, super high grades aside, which we know are mostly about the $$$, ASM #129 is seeing pretty good pricing on all grades, much like Hulk #181. I don't think that sort of activity can be totally explained away as the work of investors/ speculators.

Well I've got a pretty good eye for Bronze Age books, and while I have been mulling over a well-centered, deep-color Hulk 181 CGC 9.2-9.4 in my future, I have to laugh at the current prices paid for ASM 129.

It's nowhere near the same level of importance, and you can even buy some pretty nice Silver for the same price.

But hey, all the power to those who are paying the piper, but I do hope it's not for investment purposes. That bad boy has no where to go but down.

I have a CGC 9.6 ASM #129 that I'd like to keep because I'm a huge ASM fan, AND the Punisher is one of my favorite characters. The Punisher limited series was probably among the first 20 or so comics I've ever read. The book has significance to me in that respect.

However, I submitted the ASM #129, I didn't spend 5K on it($200 actually). I have multiple high grade copies because I love the book, not because I'm speculating. Otherwise, I'd be dumping ALL of them right now, instead of just 1 or 2.

But you're right. 1K for a 9.4 is way too much.

Well I've got a pretty good eye for Bronze Age books, and while I have been mulling over a well-centered, deep-color Hulk 181 CGC 9.2-9.4 in my future, I have to laugh at the current prices paid for ASM 129.

Personally, I laugh at these insane prices for all mainstream Bronze books. The only huge bronze key I'm considering is X Men #94. I think the rest are over-priced.

While I agree that ASM #129 would not be a good buy at current prices, why would you consider a Hulk 181 at 9.4, while an ASM #129 is a joke.

I buy because I like the issues, but I also understand which books are most "exposed" to a serious drop in price.

I don't see Hulk 181 dropping anytime soon, so I'll probably pay the piper, but I'll wait until the Puny-Sir crack-head movie debuts and then scoop up an ASM 128 9.4 for about 1/2 to 3/5 of what it's going for now.

You gotta remember that even at the height of the CGC Boom, ASM 128 CGC 9.4 was only hitting $600-$700 or so, and the shift to $1K has been pure movie hype.

Personally, I laugh at these insane prices for all mainstream Bronze books. The only huge bronze key I'm considering is X Men #94. I think the rest are over-priced.

Interesting you should mention X-Men #94 here. That is one book that I have always considered to be overpriced, it is after all only the second app of the new X-Men.