• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I Got hosed And still have the Water Stains to Prove it!! Marvel Spotlight #5

47 posts in this topic

I know. how do you think i feel bidding on and buying these dam things. its just that i get an itch under my skin and i keep going. hopefully i wont buy any more of these. Here is the auction listing I won. Marvel SPotlight Auction

I emailed the seller for a bigger scan of the 5 and i got these in return. I have since shrunk them down 50 Per cent. they were so big at first it was tough to get a feel for the whole book. anyhow... would love some opinions. i know the price was good and the book looks good Except the back has me a bit worried. any idea if wonder bread does wonders for water spots?

Front

ghost5a2.jpg

And of course... The Back

ghost5b2.jpg

Go ahead and let me know what you all think.

Thanks cloud9.gif

Hate to break this to you but with those water stains, probably the best the book would grade at is a FN. Thats if there were no other defects, your book looks like a VG+ at best.

Doyle...that looks like a nice book that could be cleaned up a little using the "WB" method...however the water stains are another story...that does not bode well condition wise and it dramatically decreases collector value... crazy.gif

Since everyone else has already chimed in, here's my no-holds-barred opinion:

Color Touch on Spine, Multiple Water Stains:

CGC Restored Grade: Apparent VG/FN: Color Touch

Since everyone else has already chimed in, here's my no-holds-barred opinion:

Color Touch on Spine, Multiple Water Stains:

CGC Restored Grade: Apparent VG/FN: Color Touch

Restored? i see a few booger looking light spots on the spine, but at super big resolution it looks more like a cross between light soiling, light scuffing and scanner spooge. Of course i could be wrong. where is this color touched area at? maybe i am not seeing it as i am still using the big scan. also, everyone seemed to think the stockwizard hulk was no better than a F- due to the staining (plus it was a POS) how come everyone thinks this is so much lower? both have water spots. also bear in mind that the pic you are seeing is still much larger than a book so things still may seem a bit worse than they are. not that i am arguing with anyones grading but i was hoping for a F maybe F+ on this one.

is there no hope? do the water spots knock it out no matter how nice the rest is?

Look closely at the spine edge, and maybe open the book up and look for some ink-through or difference in color. If you don't have a black-light, then open the book, hold it up to the light and look through the inside cover at the spine.

not that i am arguing with anyones grading but i was hoping for a F maybe F+ on this one. is there no hope? do the water spots knock it out no matter how nice the rest is?

Check your OGG, this kind of staining is allowed only in the Fine range and below. Then of course the books has several other defects that knock it into the VG range.

It is impossible to tell if there is any color touch from a scan IMHO, but even if there isn't, it is probably only a $25 book on a good day.

Looks pretty damn nice if it's only a VG book.

Thanks Arty. Makes me feel a bit better! even if it takes a hit for the stains, still the front looks pretty good.

Thanks Arty. Makes me feel a bit better! even if it takes a hit for the stains, still the front looks pretty good.

We're not trying to come down on you, but if you really want a nice copy of any Key Issue, here's what I recommend:

Whenever you see a raw "mystery comic" that for some mysterious reason has not been CGC'd, don't bid, take $50 and throw it in a pot.

Repeat until you have enough for at least a CGC 9.0 copy, or however high you want to go on the scale.

Now you're done, and will likely save money in the long run. I'm no big advocate of CGC, but for Key issues, buying raw is a losing game these days.

I see water stains on the top of the spine as well. VG Fine is a good guess.

I sent some water stained Mile Highs into CGC. Nothing came back better than a Fine, most were VG or VG/F.

Forget the wizard of stock!!

I posted that thread a few days ago as a joke. That Hulk is a VG- at best.

He calls EVERYTHING 9.4, 9.6, 9.8, AND THE BEST 10.0.

If a books has 25% of the cover torn off, missing two pages, plus has the coupon cut out of the back cover, he would call it a 9.8, except for those minor flaws.

He is one of the biggest overgraders on ebay. He has more negatives than ten forum members.

We're not trying to come down on you, but if you really want a nice copy of any Key Issue, here's what I recommend:

Whenever you see a raw "mystery comic" that for some mysterious reason has not been CGC'd, don't bid, take $50 and throw it in a pot.

Repeat until you have enough for at least a CGC 9.0 copy, or however high you want to go on the scale.

Now you're done, and will likely save money in the long run. I'm no big advocate of CGC, but for Key issues, buying raw is a losing game these days.

So...you can eventually afford this copy!

MS5%20-%20FrontA.JPG

We're not trying to come down on you,

I know you guys arent, would never think that. and remember, I asked. but i guess i was just hoping for it to be a bit better recieved. i kind of knew the water marks would bring it down a bit, and i still think that with the right scans in the auction, i can recover most of my cash, but the buying keys raw vs slabbed thing is a double edged sword. sure you are sure of what you are getting when you buy slabbed, but also you PAY big for it. and i guess as this is still a bit of a hobby to me, the thrill is in the hunt so to speak. finding a raw pearl and seeing it grade well is more fun to me than spending a ton on an already slabbed beauty. as for the Stockwiz thing, i kind of thought the thread originated on a lark, as that guy gets roughed up here all the time. but some of the responses were more favorable than i would have figured. kind of made me a bit more optimistic than i might have otherwise been. oh well... back to the ebay search engine again...lol

i guess as this is still a bit of a hobby to me, the thrill is in the hunt so to speak. finding a raw pearl and seeing it grade well is more fun to me than spending a ton on an already slabbed beauty

I agree totally, EXCEPT in the area of highly-traded, valuable key issues.

CGC books sell for multiples of their raw counterparts, but in all this confusion, it's tough to know if the seller is dumb or just scamming. But seeing how you can blow a ton of cash either way, you gotta ask yourself one question; do ya feel lucky.. well do you punk?

ok i changed the name of the thread now. Is that better? geez gotta go verbally abuse some shill ID folks posing to be little old men who buy non sports cards but are really the equivalent of a Comic Mengele just to let off some steam after this. sumo.gif

i guess as this is still a bit of a hobby to me, the thrill is in the hunt so to speak. finding a raw pearl and seeing it grade well is more fun to me than spending a ton on an already slabbed beauty

CGC books sell for multiples of their raw counterparts, but in all this confusion, it's tough to know if the seller is dumb or just scamming. But seeing how you can blow a ton of cash either way, you gotta ask yourself one question; do ya feel lucky.. well do you punk?

I went thru about 10 "raw" copies of ASM 122, searching for that "hidden gem". I only own 3 now, the "nicest" one being a VF 893frustrated.gif On the bright side....2 of them are "variants". cloud9.gif

I went thru about 10 "raw" copies of ASM 122, searching for that "hidden gem". I only own 3 now, the "nicest" one being a VF 893frustrated.gif On the bright side....2 of them are "variants". cloud9.gif

did the price justify the means? and did you have a good time getting them. did you get excited when you were buying/bidding, did you spend an inordinate amount of time searching? these are the fun things. and as long as you can dump the dung lol and keep the good stuff I think its and OK proposition. And as i said before, a little wonder bread, the right scans and viola, i get within 5 bucks of what i spent, shipping included!! anyone wanna bet? or fight? ill squeeze some heads around here like zits I tell ya!! I'll crack some skulls like macadamia nuts!!

ooops wrong thread... Sorry