• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

question about defects..

5 posts in this topic

I have two comics that are in great shape. No creases.. sharp edges. They do have defects though...one has two little flecks that looks like a defect from when they were printed. I was just wondering how bad those are in grading? I also wanted to know if the cover is the main thing taken into consideration when grading. I've seen those same little spots on the inside of a few other comics.

Hi hi.gif

The flecks you are talking about are like you say most probably a printing and production defect. You'll be glad to know that this doesn't affect the grade at all!

As for your second question, that is a bit harder to answer. Generally though, it's the front and back covers that are mainly taken into consideration when grading. So long as all the pages are there!

oh cool. I know it's a printing defect. I have experience in printing so i'm pretty positive. I am surprised it has no affect. I have one comic that has two specks and then another that has at least four all in the same spot. they are both on dark colors so they are very noticable.

It might keep the book from slabbing out at 9.9 or 10.0.If you're into highgrade moderns,there is a dealer called ColossusComics( ?)that provides a subscription service for slabbed 9.8 copies at around $35 a piece.I don't know the details but his service does seem to be popular.He guarantees to provide a CGC slabbed copy of each new issue and some issues are apparently harder to find in high grade due to poor printing.GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) thumbsup2.gif

p.s.do bear in mind that modern books will never be as scarce in high grade as a pre 1970 book.