• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Obadiah Oldbuck vs. Superman

2,012 posts in this topic

[

C'mon Try again, Bob. I know Gifflefunk's real name. I've seen it published. Arnold B can vouch for him too.

He's legit and he knows his schit.

Gifflefunk,

please help me complete this equation:

BLBcomics = Bob Beerbohm

Showcase-4 = Steve Meyer

Arnold Blumberg = Arnold Blumberg

Gifflefunk =

. Maybe you're one of those nuts who calls people and harasses them?

uhhh ohhh....you found out my secret agenda. This entire post has been a ploy to get Gifflefunk to expose his identity, so I can call 411 to get his number and harass him. thumbsup2.gif

sign-funnypost.gif

Every now and then I'm reminded why I keep clicking on this thread.

and i get reminded why i tend to stay off these GCG boards as much as possible these days

me, i truly am one of those who likes to know who i am conversing with - simple request

common courtesy

PM me even

till then, i am going back to processing the 1000s of new acquisiton comic books for my next list to get out to my mail order customers.

And doing some research stuff for Randy Scott at MSU

This has been a highly informative and entertaining thread (which probably isn't over, I know). Thanks to all for giving me more than a little interest into an area of the hobby (and its' politics, natch) that I knew far too little about....

Why should he? Wouldn't change anything. Arnold B just vouched for him. That should be enough.

common courtesy of knowing who you are conversing with was all i innocently asked

any one wanting to read some sort of insidious plot into that concept has social problems angel.gif

till then, i have to get back to working on my comics business - i have many 1000s of comics i recently picked up the past couple months to process for my next catalog - trying to treach on these boards is something for spare time

This has been a highly informative and entertaining thread (which probably isn't over, I know). Thanks to all for giving me more than a little interest into an area of the hobby (and its' politics, natch) that I knew far too little about....

Glad my post contained alot of useful info. for you. Since this thread is so long, let's recap some of the highlights:

1. No one can define a comic book, yet we all collect them.

2. 3 copies of Obadiah Oldbuck sold in 2005, and all 3 copies to the same guy (that's suspicious, isn't it? )

3. Gifflefunk is a world famous author, but we don't know who he is

4. Bob Beerbohm hates The Yellow Kid

5. $50,000 is alot of money to spend on 3 "cartoon books" from 1842

6. Showcase-4 is a 100% positive feedback PowerSeller on Ebay

7. Arnold B. said it, so it can't be questioned

stay tuned...I have reason to believe this post is just getting warmed up!

Glad my post contained alot of useful info. for you. Since this thread is so long, let's recap some of the highlights:

2. 3 copies of Obadiah Oldbuck sold in 2005, and all 3 copies to the same guy (that's suspicious, isn't it? )

8. showcase4 = KK 893scratchchin-thumb.gifconfused-smiley-013.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gifwink.gif

[

C'mon Try again, Bob. I know Gifflefunk's real name. I've seen it published. Arnold B can vouch for him too.

He's legit and he knows his schit.

Gifflefunk,

please help me complete this equation:

BLBcomics = Bob Beerbohm

Showcase-4 = Steve Meyer

Arnold Blumberg = Arnold Blumberg

Gifflefunk =

There's this company, called GOOGLE. You put in a name or a phrase into this thing called a "search line" and MAGICALLY, information appears! foreheadslap.gif

The first three paragraphs from the Victorian Essay in Overstreet 36 2006 ediiton:

This Victorian Era section is devoted to comic strips and books published during the years the United States expanded across the North American continent, fought a Civil War, shifted from an agrarian to an industrial society, "welcomed" waves of immigrants, and struggled over race, class, religion, temperance, and suffrage - and all of it depicted and satirized by generations of mostly now long-forgotten cartoonists. The social attitudes, beliefs, and conventions of 19th century America, the good as well as the bad, are to be found in abundance. Perhaps the first question to pop into most readers' minds will be, "What, beyond the happenstance of publication date, are Victorian Era comics?"

There has been a long slow-motion evolution of the comic strip. The aspect that we believe most distinguishes Victorian Era comic strips from those of later eras was the extremely rare use of word balloons within sequential (multi-picture) comic stories. . When word balloons were used, it was nearly always within single-panel cartoons. On the occasions when they appeared inside a strip, with very few exceptions, the ballooned dialogue was inconsequential. Nineteenth-century comics tended to place both narration and dialogue beneath comic panels rather than within the panel's borders. Many of these comics are to the word balloon-strewn post-Yellow Kid comics of the 20th Century as silent movies are to the later "talkies." Just as sound changed how stories were structured on film, so too did comic strips change when the words were moved from beneath panels to inside them, and dialogue rather than narration drove the story in conjunction with the pictures.

The Victorian Era of comic books began on different dates in different nations, depending on when the first publication of a sequential comic book on their soil is known to have occurred. For the U.S. this happened when the American literary periodical Brother Jonathan printed the 40-page, 195-panel graphic novel The Adventures of Mr. Obadiah Oldbuck as a special extra dated September 14, 1842. Almost six decades later, America's Victorian comics came to their end, replaced by the onslaught of Platinum Age books reprinting newspaper strips from Bennett, Hearst, and Pulitzer Sunday comic sections, among many others.

Each reader here is invited to read the rest of this comics history lesson, found in the small Overstreet - not the Big Big one.

Your definition works for you and your research. What I take issue with is the claims that others "got it wrong" because their research doesn't match your definition. Their research matched the defintion they operated under.

Where do i state "got it wrong" ? You encapsulate quotes on those three words

8. showcase4 = KK 893scratchchin-thumb.gifconfused-smiley-013.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gifwink.gif

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Even if he is, it's still been a great thread.

I don’t believe Bob said he hates The Yellow Kid, only that MOST of his appearances were as single picture illustrations rather than as sequential comic strips.

Earl.

Hi Bob. Whilst I think we are in broad agreement about a lot of the early comics I have two questions about areas where we appear to have different opinions.

1) How prevalent amongst ‘comics scholars’ is the acceptance of sequential single page illustrations as comics and do they have to appear on every page? When is something like this a comic and when does it become an illustrated story? For example Stuff and Nonsense is rather like a lot of what we call ‘Ladybird Books’ here in the UK. Some of these have a large illustration on each page with a paragraph or two of text at the bottom. The art and text move the story on from page to page. Some Lady bird books have a single page illustration then a page of text then another illustration and so on. Are these still comics? And if there is several pages of text between each illustration but the illustrations still sequentially move on the story is this still a comic? Where is the division between a comic and an illustrated story?

2) A lot of the publications you list in the Victorian Section of Overstreet contain comics. When does a publication that contains comics become a comic book? If 60% is comics I think most people would say it’s a comic book. CGD says 50% to qualify for inclusion in the CGD database. If it’s 40% is it still a comic book? How much sequential comic content does something like Wild Oats have? The Punch’s I have a certainly less than 25% content. When does a publication go from being a comic book to a publication that just contains some comics?

Interested in your views.

Thanks Earl.

The Victorian Era of comic books began on different dates in different nations, depending on when the first publication of a sequential comic book on their soil is known to have occurred. For the U.S. this happened when the American literary periodical Brother Jonathan printed the 40-page, 195-panel graphic novel The Adventures of Mr. Obadiah Oldbuck as a special extra dated September 14, 1842.

Thank you Bob for posting this thumbsup2.gif...sometimes it's the most basic things that help clarify an issue. We have been splitting hairs thru this entire post, and it really boils down to these 2 scentences which we have slowly strayed from. This is why 2 copies of this book sold for $20,000 each last year, and this is why a Google search turns up hundreds if not thousands of internet articles, image reproductions, and historical data. This is why I am planning a museum, with Obadiah Oldbuck as the main exhibition piece, and this is what it's all about my fellow collectors....... the 1st American comic book !

http://scoop.diamondgalleries.com/news_images/10275_28983_5.jpg

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...bayphotohosting