• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Obadiah Oldbuck vs. Superman

2,012 posts in this topic

ever since the comicon people decided i have seniority there and placed me right up at the B door entrance to the Gold/silver Pavilion - and the swirling crush of people, the accompanying pilfering potentials, much less sales volumes from a key spot
27_laughing.gif

How can I say this without any sting? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

At family gatherings we always sit our crazy Uncle way in the back of the house for a reason. smirk.gif

sign-funnypost.gif

yeeeeeeeee-haaaaaaaaa !

We gots ourselves a new name for one of our Members.....Crazy Uncle Bob !!

(Bob, I kid, of course )

ever since the comicon people decided i have seniority there and placed me right up at the B door entrance to the Gold/silver Pavilion - and the swirling crush of people, the accompanying pilfering potentials, much less sales volumes from a key spot
27_laughing.gif

How can I say this without any sting? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

At family gatherings we always sit our crazy Uncle way in the back of the house for a reason. smirk.gif

came online again to disconnect from all my groups, noticed this -

fantasize all you want, i have been at the front of the room, right at the main entrance, it don't git any sweeter than where i am located at the SanDee funny book asylum yay.gif

i get in that booth and don't come up for air until it closes each night - biz be great. I am not able to check out hardly any booths (bummer) more than eye ball distance away.

helps being one of the small cadre who has sold at every SD show since inception

If it we’re not for super heroes there would be very little if any comic books today. The medium would not have lasted with OO and the like alone. On the other hand would there have ever even been the medium with out the likes of OO? And without the medium would there have ever been super heroes?

That is the question. Is it not?

Yes but more no,

the modern comic book medium was invented in Europe by Rodolphe Töpffer circa 1828 in Geneva Switzerland when lithography concepts were invented in the 1820s and spread into many countries. There are all kinds of Euro comics in the 1800s not addressed at all in the Overstreet stuff i compile. About the only Euro comic books listed in OPG are those which have USA reprints to clarify

If not for OO it would have been some thing else which came over with all the immigrants

Comic books would have done just fine with out super heroes, they already were thriving for several decades with out super heroes, they have thrived else where with out super heroes,

your paragraph is close, but not totally accurate

see you in two weeks

Bob,

How many copies of Detective Dan have been uncovered?

Bill, I think Bob may be out of town, or at least off the Boards for a little while. Detective Dan is estimated to have approx. 6-8 copies in existence, with 6 probably being more accurate than 8. It is truly the rarest of the rare. The last copy that sold at auction was in 2004...here's info on that sale ( I was the 2nd highest bidder...still kicking myself! )

http://scoop.diamondgalleries.com/scoop_article.asp?ai=6484&si=123

Thanks Steve. I figured it had to be tough. Yours is the only one I have even seen, other than in articles and Overstreet.

Bob,

Bill, I think Bob may be out of town, or at least off the Boards for a little while.

It is 9:30 AM Central Time Tuesday morn, i am now signing off from all my email - headed to Big Apple National then MidOhio - check out my booths at both, lots of cool old comic books, discounts for all,

and one thing i wish to leave ya'll with is I know Arnold Blumberg a lot better than i know Bill Ponseti.

When Arnold was main editor of OPG, he and i worked closely on the intro and then expansion of the comics history articles plus the Platinum, then Victorian offshoot, price indexes in OPG for a decade before he headed off to help curate Steve's museum down at Camden Yards.

Many many phone conversations & email exchanges over that decade as we figured out how to cram 50 pounds of info into a 10 pound bag.

He taught me ledding concepts in the layouts, for that and other aspects i am indebted to him

Bill, on the other hand, i mainly know from scattered conversations at a few shows

See you in two weeks

Didn't know you were that well acquainted with Arnold. My mistake. I had never even heard of him until I started joining in on these boards. I don't remember him being around Overstreet when I was at the conferences. He must have come along later, after I stopped being a dealer/advisor.

Interesting how you would attempt to trivialize how well you know me. I certainly have clear recollection of spending a considerable amount of time with you in the early to mid 90's at darn near every show. Including outside of the show at dinners and parties. Since we were both doing numerous shows a year, that would add up to several weeks a year.

Perhaps your memories of that time were...how should we say...."clouded in smoke"...?

Either way, it is of no consequence, I was actually trying to pay you a compliment. Imagine that. And of course, with your usual sense of style and humility, you turn into a dig opportunity....

Must be wondeful to be as smart as you are. The rest of us poor uneducated, uniformed, long-time collectors/hobbiests/dealers etc. are in awe

hail.gif

Take it easy Bob. Hope you have a great couple of shows, and hope your hip doesn't slow you down too much.

For the sake of peace I'll stop correcting your errors in this thread, unless they get too far fetched, and move on.

I'm out.

Bob,

Bill, I think Bob may be out of town, or at least off the Boards for a little while. Detective Dan is estimated to have approx. 6-8 copies in existence, with 6 probably being more accurate than 8. It is truly the rarest of the rare. The last copy that sold at auction was in 2004...here's info on that sale ( I was the 2nd highest bidder...still kicking myself! )

Thanks Steve. I figured it had to be tough. Yours is the only one I have even seen, other than in articles and Overstreet.

Bill,

as impressed as I am that you are so impressed with Detective Dan, it is owning the trilogy of Humor books that REALLY puts me on collector cloud9.gif

I got all 3 at one time as a trade----I gave up 4 Truth Magazines featuring the 1st 4 appearances of The Yellow Kid.......history traded for history ! ( boy would I do that deal again!....and again, and again wink.gif)

1487049-3humors.jpg

1487049-3humors.jpg.7d66580f4cac98469dc8d8e6350db71a.jpg

Bob,

Bill,

as impressed as I am that you are so impressed with Detective Dan, it is owning the trilogy of Humor books that REALLY puts me on collector cloud9.gif

I got all 3 at one time as a trade----I gave up 4 Truth Magazines featuring the 1st 4 appearances of The Yellow Kid.......history traded for history ! ( boy would I do that deal again!....and again, and again wink.gif)

1487049-3humors.jpg

I'd do that deal in a heartbeat too! Now stop making me post here!!!

27_laughing.gif

I'm trying to stay off this thread. Perhaps you can start a new one called "early golden age discussion"

wink.gif

I'm totally with Bill on that -- I'm absolutely fascinated by the Humor books as well. Steve, Yellowkid is cool and all, but I definately think you got the better end of the deal. thumbsup2.gif

I'm also intrigued by Bob's theory that Norman Marsh was possible the publisher of the Humor books and not just a contributor. If so then he should ranked right up there with Wildenburg, Gaines, et al. as one of the fathers of the modern comic book. I'd love to know how widely these books were distributed, but I suppose that information is lost to time. I can't help but wonder if Gaines saw a copy of Det. Dan in that fateful late spring/early summer of 1933 and got some ideas from it. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I'm trying to stay off this thread. Perhaps you can start a new one called "early golden age discussion"

wink.gif

An excellent idea! Steve, I know you love this thread, but I really think it's time to let it go -- there's only a couple of us still reading it. Start a new early Golden Age thread and let's talk about these cool Humor books of yours. 893applaud-thumb.gif