• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Obadiah Oldbuck vs. Superman

2,012 posts in this topic

It's not one single thing that makes or breaks OO from NOT being a comic. It's the sum of the parts! It's because all of these things aren't present. Sure, you can site examples of where each of these didn't exist with post-1933 issues. It's the total weight of all these things being not present with OO that makes it NOT a comic book.

Pretty clear to me, counselor! cool.gif

893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

I think we've clearly shown that Obadiah Oldbuck is definitely not a comic book. Some people may wish it was, but it simply isn't.

But, this flies in the face of showcase-4's 20k purchases!

But, this flies in the face of all the coverage of Bob's press releases!

But, FFB passed the bar exam, and he thinks it's a comic!

(FFB don't get bent out of shape here, just having some fun with you) poke2.gif

In my sole opinion, what makes a comic book is the fact that the thing (whatever it is) is in booklet form (whatever size and however bound), and involves visual storytelling in sequential form using "comic-style" drawings. I don't have a problem accepting a string-bound book as a comic book if it meets the criteria of being in booklet form and using visual, sequential storytelling.

When someone mentions word balloons, you and several others keep shouting GI JOE 21...GI JOE 21...like it's some kind of war cry. Ok, so someone made a comic that didn't have word balloons in it.

According to your defintion above, a comic must have "comic-style" drawings in it. What would you then do if someone decided to produce an issue of Batman with actual photographs of people in super-hero costumes acting out the scenes instead of having an artist draw them (just like someone decided to do GI Joe without word balloons)? According to you, this could not be a comic book, since you clearly stated that, in your sole opinion, a comic book uses "comic-style" drawings.

I think that's called "Fumetti."

So are you going to answer whether it would be a comic book or not?

He did if you bothered to read his prior response, rather than simply continue to post and try to bait him into having a debate with a shill.

In my sole opinion, what makes a comic book is the fact that the thing (whatever it is) is in booklet form (whatever size and however bound), and involves visual storytelling in sequential form using "comic-style" drawings. I don't have a problem accepting a string-bound book as a comic book if it meets the criteria of being in booklet form and using visual, sequential storytelling.

When someone mentions word balloons, you and several others keep shouting GI JOE 21...GI JOE 21...like it's some kind of war cry. Ok, so someone made a comic that didn't have word balloons in it.

According to your defintion above, a comic must have "comic-style" drawings in it. What would you then do if someone decided to produce an issue of Batman with actual photographs of people in super-hero costumes acting out the scenes instead of having an artist draw them (just like someone decided to do GI Joe without word balloons)? According to you, this could not be a comic book, since you clearly stated that, in your sole opinion, a comic book uses "comic-style" drawings.

He did if you bothered to read his prior response, rather than simply continue to post and try to bait him into having a debate with a shill.

No he didn't...he purposefully avoided answering it because it's refuting his "claims" as to what constitutes a comic book. It's not a hard question. If DC decided to do an issue of Batman using live action pictures of people in super-hero costumes, would it be a comic book or not?

And what...do you guys have some kind of lawer hot-phone that rings everytime one of you needs backup?

Who's he a shill for, other counselor?

P.S. Your website looks great! Let me know when you have a 80% off sale on that Blue Ribbon #1! poke2.gif

Tell me what 99.9% of every comic book printed since Famous Funnies in 1933 has that OO doesn't have:

A glossy cover that differs from what the interior paper is printed on.

Color covers

Word Balloons

Advertisements

Staples

PRICES consistent with the times (.35 cents in 1842?)

Continued characters that last more than one issue

etc.

Sorry man, it ain't a comic.

"Glossy covers that differ from the interior paper, color covers, word ballons, advertisments, staples, prices & continued characters"??? Is that what it takes?!? screwy.gif

I could create a comic book, with a b&w non-glossy cover, not use word ballons, without advertisemants, or staples, for free, with no continuing characters & it would still be a comic book. Think before you spew your infinite knowledge! makepoint.gif

Hey dilhole, did you read the end of my statement that OO doesn't have:

Go back to masturbating to Al Gore speeches on Global warming.

Hey Fuelman have you ever done anything to help out the comic community personally?

27_laughing.gif

You really are a sad, pathetic little man!..........I will pray for your retched soul. angel.gif

Go back and read your own posts.......if you can stomach it. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

No he didn't...he purposefully avoided answering it because it's refuting his "claims" as to what constitutes a comic book. It's not a hard question. If DC decided to do an issue of Batman using live action pictures of people in super-hero costumes, would it be a comic book or not?

So riddle me this counselors, I hear the word "sequential" being thrown around quite a bit. What about the issues of "Reggie's Wise Guy Jokes, Archie's Joke Book, Jughead's Jokes, etc. that are full of SINGLE PANEL jokes with absolutely NO SEQUENCE whatsoever? They're in the guide in the comic section.

acclaim.gifcloud9.gif

OO - Looking less and less like a comic with every new page on this thread. cool.gif

Who's he a shill for, other counselor?

I've noticed that any time a select few in here get bent out of shape because someone is daring to disagree with them, they pull out the shill accusations. I assume it's born out of frustration and the lack of a proper upbringing. confused-smiley-013.gif

27_laughing.gif

You really are a sad, pathetic little man!..........I will pray for your retched soul. angel.gif

Go back and read your own posts.......if you can stomach it. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Was that supposed to be a hyperlink to somewhere? Once again, like Algore, you've failed.

P.S. Don't bother coming back to my website either! crazy.gif

Hey Fuelman have you ever done anything to help out the comic community personally?

Why yes, I have!

I told as many people as I could to avoid that tar-pitt you call an "open forum".

acclaim.gif

Now, go stuff yourself silly like I suggested you do the last time I spoke to you! hi.gif

What about the issues of "Reggie's Wise Guy Jokes, Archie's Joke Book, Jughead's Jokes, etc. that are full of SINGLE PANEL jokes with absolutely NO SEQUENCE whatsoever? They're in the guide in the comic section.

1381132-pwned2.JPG

1381132-pwned2.JPG.7bda233db274003e11f3786bf1710355.JPG

What about the issues of "Reggie's Wise Guy Jokes, Archie's Joke Book, Jughead's Jokes, etc. that are full of SINGLE PANEL jokes with absolutely NO SEQUENCE whatsoever? They're in the guide in the comic section.

1381132-pwned2.JPG

They'll just write us off as the uninformed, the people trying to derail this thread, etc.

It's ok, I've seen the light...

Shawn

If DC decided to do an issue of Batman using live action pictures of people in super-hero costumes, would it be a comic book or not?

You could make a comic book using actual pictures instead of artwork.

If DC decided to do an issue of Batman using live action pictures of people in super-hero costumes, would it be a comic book or not?

You could make a comic book using actual pictures instead of artwork.

Not according to FFB. confused-smiley-013.gif

"In my sole opinion, what makes a comic book is the fact that the thing (whatever it is) is in booklet form (whatever size and however bound), and involves visual storytelling in sequential form using "comic-style" drawings. "

P.S. Don't bother coming back to my website either! crazy.gif

27_laughing.gif

Oooooooh! blush.gif

27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

Let's take our love for each other to the PM's...

Go stuff yourself silly!

And with that, out of respect for the GA forum, I have said what I feel needed to be said!

acclaim.gif