• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Obadiah Oldbuck vs. Superman

2,012 posts in this topic

pretty funny considering you cannot get the story straight

That was one copy Steve hounded me into selling to him and one of my kids needed some expensive medical tests at the time

Here's hoping nobody you know needs an operation soon, or you'll probably be selling one of your cats as a rare miniature tiger for $50,000.

Front cover to the 3rd Tilt & Bogue Topffer comic book 1843, not printed in America

It looks like you've made another huge mistake, Bob. That's not a comic book either. Here's a picture of a real comic book. Let me know if I can be of further help to you.

1374055-je99.jpg

obadiah-pg08.jpg

page 8 from the 1842 Obadiah oldbuck comic book

Bob, a question you may have answered already: The line work on this looks a bit "off". not very contraolled and original. Since its a reprint, were the original plates used, or was it (as I suspect) entirely traced and new plates made? The lines look trced over a finished image rather than coming from a "mental image."

and, these were all created as etchings right? Because they predate photographic techniques. I dont think lithography is ideal for thin lines, and those are large stones, too many for a book of 200 drawings.

obadiah-pg08.jpg

page 8 from the 1842 Obadiah oldbuck comic book

Bob, a question you may have answered already: The line work on this looks a bit "off". not very contraolled and original. Since its a reprint, were the original plates used, or was it (as I suspect) entirely traced and new plates made? The lines look trced over a finished image rather than coming from a "mental image."

and, these were all created as etchings right? Because they predate photographic techniques. I dont think lithography is ideal for thin lines, and those are large stones, too many for a book of 200 drawings.

You are on the money, here

In the days before photo lithography, when one wanted to reprint something, one had to re-draw it onto new plates.

So, The 1839 Paris Aubert edition was re-drawn to print,and when Tilt & Bogue in London used that printing to make theirs, it was re-drawn again in London with English words inserted where the French was

Töpffer's innovation was using the earliest forms of stone lithography in 1828 in that one drew on normal paper with carbon grease on the back, that was then rubbed off when re-tracing onto the stone

Prior to that, one had to draw mirror reverse and have it etched onto a metal plate or a wood cut was made by a master craftsman

By the 1840s when Topffer was doing his comic books that have not yet been translated into English for us who reads that language, the earliest forms of photo lithography come into play

Topffer himself redrew his earlier comicbooks several times, enhancing each printing with more detailed back grounds

The 1840s versions go beyond Topffer's earliest experiments tech wise in the printing

the USA edition used the original Tilt & Bogue printing plates made in 1841 and brought over on the very first cross Atlantic steam ship, IIRC, called Great Eastern

have i answered correctly? - i most likely need to fill in more blanks here

the USA edition used the original Tilt & Bogue printing plates made in 1841 and brought over on the very first cross Atlantic steam ship, IIRC, called Great Eastern

so, if that ship had gone down, there'd be no comicbooks in America!!