• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Obadiah Oldbuck vs. Superman

2,012 posts in this topic

also. anyone read the press reports about Geppi's museum today? Seems to be a disconnect between the Beerbohm Platinum Section's "They're all comic books!" stance and the organizers of the museum. They apparently make a clear distinction between Comicbooks from the 1930s onward, and everthing that came before. Same museum, but different species!

This is the NYTimes article. Granted, the press usually comes onto a scene cold with no research or sense of history about a bubject, so we have to take the writers views as suspect, But in discussing the older pre-comics pieces, they mention Ben Franklin's snake illo, and the Brownies, but Olbadiah Oldbuck is shute out of luck here.

Museum of Steel: Cartoon History in a Single Bound

By GEORGE GENE GUSTINES

Published: September 6, 2006

BALTIMORE — If Steve Geppi has his way, his new Entertainment Museum will be a cultural institution that children must be dragged out of rather than into. And his idea of children does not mean 12 years old and under.

“Whether you’re 8 or 80, you’ll find something here to light you up,” Mr. Geppi said during a recent tour of the museum, which opens here to the public on Sept. 8.

The 16,000-square-foot space takes up the second and third floors of the former Camden train station here, whose main floor is home to the Sports Legends at Camden Yards museum. Geppi’s Entertainment Museum celebrates the colorful characters and collectibles that have emerged from comic strips and comic books since the late 1800’s. Its packed displays — of movie posters, animation cels, action figures, board games, advertisements and more — chronicle the evolution of these characters, often reflecting the periods of American history from which they emerged.

Mr. Geppi, 56, who owns Diamond Comic Distributors, the largest distributor of English-language comic books, is also the proud owner of every artifact on display. “It’s really fun showing this to people,” he said. “It’s the only time I get to see my stuff.”

His goals for the museum reflect his love for his native city as much as his passion for collectibles. “It’s a full-blown metropolis that has the luxury of feeling like a small town,” Mr. Geppi said of Baltimore, as he noted the other cultural attractions that visitors to his museum can enjoy. These include the American Visionary Art Museum, the Babe Ruth Birthplace and Museum and the Reginald F. Lewis Museum of Maryland African-American History and Culture. Mr. Geppi’s museum shares a historic site with a baseball museum partly because he happens to be a minority owner of the Baltimore Orioles.

“It’s purposeful that I mention the other museums,” he said. “We want to be a conduit for people to come to Baltimore, whether it’s by car, by bus, by train.”

Mr. Geppi’s enthusiastic appreciation of comic books — “60 years later, comics are finally getting their due,” he said — is evident in the museum’s layout. Most rooms are organized by the era they chronicle, but two rooms stray from that pattern: one will rotate exhibits that highlight a particular artist or theme and the other is devoted to comics that tell “A Story in Four Colors,” as the placard over its entrance declares.

This room traces the black-and-white beginnings of comic-strip characters like the Gumps (1917), Winnie Winkle (1920) and Little Orphan Annie (1924), before moving along to the pulps and a large collection of Big Little Books. These pocket-size children’s books measure about 3½ by 4½ inches and feature pictures with facing pages of text. They star the likes of Ellery Queen, G-Man and Captain Midnight, and paved the way for traditional comic books.

The collection of comics is boldly colorful, wide-ranging and presented alphabetically within each era. It begins, appropriately enough, with Action Comics No. 1 (1938), the first appearance of Superman. It ends with more contemporary comics, like the gimmicky Superman No. 75 (1992), which chronicled his apparent death and was distributed sealed in black plastic, and the more somber “9-11” (2002), whose proceeds were donated to relief agencies. In between are comics that commemorate the first appearances of Captain America, the Flash, Green Lantern, the Hulk, She-Hulk and Wonder Woman.

Like many of the artifacts on display, most of the comics are valuable and kept safely behind glass. But a video kiosk helps circumvent this drawback. Visitors can view Action Comics No. 1 or Superman No. 1 (1939) on a monitor. People can navigate each page with “back” and “forward” options. The presentation uses Mr. Geppi’s vintage copies, so the experience feels authentic: the pages are yellowed with age, the original advertisements are included, and the monitor shows the rise and fall of each page as it is “turned.”

Kiosks are placed throughout the museum, each with an interactive offering appropriate to its location. The monitor in the room devoted to the theme “Pioneer Spirit, 1776-1894” displays a video of the museum’s coin-operated banks in motion. Other kiosks offer a trivia quiz, with two levels of difficulty, that is activated by scanning the admission ticket. Those with a passing grade may claim a prize when they exit the museum.

Stressing the educational aspects of this pop-culture tour through history is important to Mr. Geppi. So there are plenty of factoids to balance the memorabilia. Outside each room, plaques note the presidents, population, inventions and events of the corresponding time period. Among the first displays inside the “Pioneer Spirit” room is a political cartoon by Benjamin Franklin, published on May 9, 1754, in The Pennsylvania Gazette: the image of a snake in 13 segments, symbolizing the call for the colonies to unite.

There is also a display case devoted to the Brownies (1881), believed to be the first characters turned into a merchandising franchise. The potbellied, wild-eyed cast turned up in various publications, most notably St. Nicholas magazine, and their adventures were collected in a hardcover edition, similar to the treatment given popular comic books today. The Brownies appeared on puzzles and building blocks, calendars and rubber stamps. In 1900 Kodak even marketed a camera as the Brownie.

More familiar characters turn up in the “Expanding Universe, 1971-1990” room, which spotlights an explosion of merchandising: Star Wars and Transformers action figures, Cabbage Patch Kids dolls and fuzzy Ms. Pac-Man puppets, among others. (There are also some oddities, like a Captain and Tennille doll.)

Some of these more recent collectibles were hard to find, but that proved alluring. “It’s the thrill of the hunt: chasing the girl, or the guy, or a dream,” Mr. Geppi said. “The hunt is always more fun than getting there.”

yeah but he's right! you showed up with a far more cheerleader with earplugs on attitude! Go back and reread who you were at the beginning. Youve since then backed off substantially, but the adversarial, ("you're wrong!") tone was set (by you) early on. Sorry.

uhhhhhhhhhhhhh , uhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

I can't type now...my wife is calling me devil.gif

also. anyone read the press reports about Geppi's museum today? in discussing the older pre-comics pieces, they mention Ben Franklin's snake illo, and the Brownies, but Olbadiah Oldbuck is shute out of luck here

This may have been due to the fact that I lent the museum an Oldbuck just a few weeks ago, and the article may have been written prior to that. Not sure, but it would make sense to me.......or because Ben Franklin's snake illo and the Brownies are not comic books, and Obadiah Oldbuck is 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

well, Showcase, old buddy, seems to me if Ol Obadiah really WAS the very first comicbook, the Geppi Museum people who work for the owner and publisher of the Overstreet Guide what states that it IS the first comicbook would certainly have been in a position to seek one out in time to make it to the show! I mean to have NOT moved ahead UNTIL they secured a copy for the museum. Cause what kind of museum WOULDNT have the Very First American ComicBook..? They already have an Action 1, I understand, dont they???????

dig, dig...

well, Showcase, old buddy, seems to me if Ol Obadiah really WAS the very first comicbook, the Geppi Museum people who work for the owner and publisher of the Overstreet Guide what states that it IS the first comicbook would certainly have been in a position to seek one out in time to make it to the show! I mean to have NOT moved ahead UNTIL they secured a copy for the museum. Cause what kind of museum WOULDNT have the Very First American ComicBook..? They already have an Action 1, I understand, dont they???????

dig, dig...

I'm not sure Obadiah's rarity has sunken in......you don't exactly find them laying around at your local Walmart.

I also can not speak for the Geppi Museum or any museum as to why they have the pieces they have, and are missing what they are missing...it's a big world out there, and NO single collector, musuem, or institution owns every single key item within their area of expertise. Just because a museum does not own something, does not minimize its importance. makepoint.gif

news.gif

My Obadiah Oldbuck arrived today and I have read it!!! Thanks Bob!

Bob indicated that the format of the reprint is identical to how it was released in 1842, except for the cover added.

But, on the inside back cover of the book and on a couple of the pictures Bob posted of the original it appears to be in landscape mode if you will. This book is in portrait, which makes it look much more like a comic book. That is misleading.

Here are my observations:

1. In the repackaged format it looks like a crudely drawn, semi-sequential, typically French boring magazine with comic illustrations.

2. In the original format it is the same except the landscape nature of the way it was printed makes it tough to classify.

Conclusion -- Obadiah Oldbuck is the earliest example of a Comic Magazine I have ever seen. But, it is clearly not a comic book, in how I define them.

But, nonetheless it is still remarkable.

Mine came today and I just finished reading it. Thanks a lot, Bob! thumbsup2.gif

First of all before I pass any judgement on what it is or isn't, let me just say it was a very entertaining read -- much more so than I thought it would be. It's not Alan Moore or Neil Gaiman by any means, but I didn't think it was boring at all. It was simplistic in it's way, but certainly more entertaining than some of the hack work you find in many early GA comics. It has a very sarcastic tone, bordering on dark humor at times. Bill, you have to admit that the villianous monks that kept popping up to torment OO were a nice touch. 27_laughing.gif I don't know maybe I'm biased because I like old stuff but I thought it was fun.

Now, what to call it... The reprint of course has the modern magazine binding (in size as well as format), so really the only question it can address is whether or not it is truly a comic strip. It was different to be sure; different even than more modern narrative-type strips like Prince Valiant (though I would agree that strips like that are the closest in comparison). This is because some of the captions are not really narrative in nature but just descriptions; some are not even complete sentences, but just phrases -- e.g. "The second suicide of Mr. Oldbuck," etc. But most of the captions are more narrative in nature, and as I began to actually read it, it seemed less awkward and choppy the farther along I got. Maybe I was just getting used to Topffer's pacing, which is definately different from most modern comics. Whatever you want to call it, I would certainly agree that it is remarkable. Shield is correct when he says that it is missing a number of elements that we associate with traditional comic books; however, it also contains many other elements that we do associate with comic books. To tell you the truth I'm not sure what to make of it.

I can understand the importance that some attach to word balloons. The story tends to become driven more by dialogue than by narration. It's like the difference between watching a movie as oppposed to a documentary. These narrative-style strips definitely have a different feel to them. Anybody who has read Foster's Tarzan and Prince Valiant or Raymond's Flash Gordon (where word balloons are used sparingly) knows this I'm sure. As I pointed out waaaay back in this thread, this is no accident. The first of these strips in the modern era, Tarzan, was done this way specifically to distance it from the typical dialogue-dominent word balloon strips and to make it feel more like an illustrated novel. But they are still comic strips IMO -- different than your typical comic strip, but comic strips none the less. After reading OO all the way through, I feel that it (and I suppose most of the Victorian comics) falls into this same category of narrative comic strip. It is far more simplistic and primitive than a Prince Valiant, to be sure, but it is basically the same animal.

So since I can now safely say that OO is a comic strip, albeit rudimentary and of the narrative variety, then because it appeared in a stand alone publication, it is whatever general term you want to use to describe comic strip material in book form. For Bob this would be "Comic Book." For most others like Bill who prefer to use the term "comic book" specifically for the modern FoP format, then perhaps something like "graphic novel" would be more appropriate. Whether you want to call it the first US comic book or the first US graphic novel, either way it is clearly an interesting and historically important book. And it's also not a bad read.

(Sorry for the length, verbosity and stream-of-consciousness nature of this post, but I was just sort of typing my thoughts as they came to me. Reading back over it I see that I used the word "different" quite a bit. Read into that what you will. insane.gif)

I'm Glad Aman posted that snippet from the news about the Geppi museum. One paragraph in particular worked over me like a tonic, I mean it was music to my ears.....

"The collection of comics is boldly colorful, wide-ranging and presented alphabetically within each era. ." It begins, appropriately enough, with Action Comics No. 1 (1938), the first appearance of Superman

Even the lay person knows the gospel when it is heard. Please Bobby my boy, drink the kool-aid from the right dispenser this time.

Because comics, in my humble opinion, began, appropraitely enough with Action Comics #1!!!! headbang.gif

poke2.gif Bob

I'm Glad Aman posted that snippet from the news about the Geppi museum. One paragraph in particular worked over me like a tonic, I mean it was music to my ears.....

"The collection of comics is boldly colorful, wide-ranging and presented alphabetically within each era. ." It begins, appropriately enough, with Action Comics No. 1 (1938), the first appearance of Superman

Even the lay person knows the gospel when it is heard. Please Bobby my boy, drink the kool-aid from the right dispenser this time.

Because comics, in my humble opinion, began, appropraitely enough with Action Comics #1!!!! headbang.gif

poke2.gif Bob

Reporter error. Happens all the time. The NYT's once got my quote completely 180 degrees wrong. gossip.gif

hi.gif

poke2.gif Bob

Reporter error. Happens all the time. The NYT's once got my quote completely 180 degrees wrong. gossip.gif

hi.gif

correct again Counselor! thumbsup2.gif

If Bob Beerbohm is claiming "The history books are being rewritten right here" 893whatthe.gif - page 342 of the OPG (Obadiah Oldbuck reference), and collectively we can't decide what is and what is not the 1st comic book confused-smiley-013.gif, then I'm not sure this entire debate shouldn't be decided by a reporter from The New York Times. tonofbricks.gif

Bob is presently travelling to Baltimore, which will be the center of the comic world this week: Baltimore Comic Con, Geppi Museum opening, and Heritage Auctions September sale. He asked me to read to him all of your comments while travelling yesterday gossip.gif( I think he's hooked on the Boards! ), and will be back on this post later today or tomorrow.

This morning I am picking up from a Conservator who does work for the Smithsonian and other like institutions, my nicest copy of Obadiah Oldbuck hail.gif, as she was fitting it for a custom made archival long term storage/display holder. I will be posting large, high resolution pics within the next few days of America's 1st comic book in its new secure environment.....take that Mr. New York Times ! mad.gifsleeping.gif893blahblah.gif

Geppi must think highly of Obadiah to borrow one of the best copies in the world and set it on display. Steve, did you say weeks ago in anticipation of tomorrow's grand opening? That proves that the reporter made at least one error by writing that everything on display is Geppi's own, right?

What is Geppi's opinion of OO's place in comic-book history? Did the reporter get it right that he regards everything before Action 1 as "pre-comic books" or "ancestors"? (Even Famous Funnies, Detective 1, etc.?) A legitimate point of view, but if that's really how Geppi feels, I'd love to see a rock 'em- sock 'em debate between Geppi and Beerbohm on opening day!

I'm looking forward to visiting the museum. Not many excuses to go to Baltimore, but how long does it take to get there from Washington, DC? Is it a convenient train trip?

Jack

poke2.gif Bob

hi.gif

correct again Counselor! thumbsup2.gif

If Bob Beerbohm is claiming "The history books are being rewritten right here" 893whatthe.gif - page 342 of the OPG (Obadiah Oldbuck reference), and collectively we can't decide what is and what is not the 1st comic book confused-smiley-013.gif, then I'm not sure this entire debate shouldn't be decided by a reporter from The New York Times. tonofbricks.gif

Bob is presently travelling to Baltimore, which will be the center of the comic world this week: Baltimore Comic Con, Geppi Museum opening, and Heritage Auctions September sale. He asked me to read to him all of your comments while travelling yesterday gossip.gif( I think he's hooked on the Boards! ), and will be back on this post later today or tomorrow.

This morning I am picking up from a Conservator who does work for the Smithsonian and other like institutions, my nicest copy of Obadiah Oldbuck hail.gif, as she was fitting it for a custom made archival long term storage/display holder. I will be posting large, high resolution pics within the next few days of America's 1st comic book in its new secure environment.....take that Mr. New York Times ! mad.gifsleeping.gif893blahblah.gif

Geppi must think highly of Obadiah to borrow one of the best copies in the world and set it on display. Steve, did you say weeks ago in anticipation of tomorrow's grand opening? That proves that the reporter made at least one error by writing that everything on display is Geppi's own, right?

What is Geppi's opinion of OO's place in comic-book history? Did the reporter get it right that he regards everything before Action 1 as "pre-comic books" or "ancestors"? (Even Famous Funnies, Detective 1, etc.?) A legitimate point of view, but if that's really how Geppi feels, I'd love to see a rock 'em- sock 'em debate between Geppi and Beerbohm on opening day!

I'm looking forward to visiting the museum. Not many excuses to go to Baltimore, but how long does it take to get there from Washington, DC? Is it a convenient train trip?

Jack

Yes I mentioned that above that I knew some of the items in the museum are not owned by Geppi. Not a significant error by any means, but an error.

Baltimore is just 40 miles from DC. Easy car or train ride. Definitely worth the trip.

Geppi must think highly of Obadiah to borrow one of the best copies in the world and set it on display.

What is Geppi's opinion of OO's place in comic-book history?

I couldn't speak for Geppi's or anyone elses opinion out of respect. However, the fact the museum did want to display Obadiah is, at least in my opinion, a sign of this book being held in very high regard by either Steve and/or his staff. I was very honored when I was asked to participate.

I have one other very rare key book on display there which has been mentioned in this thread earlier.....Journey to the Gold Diggins by Jeremiah Saddlebgs -- the 1st comic book by American creators, dated 1849. Oldbuck and Saddlebags are the #1 and #2 keys of the Victorian Age.....a 54 year time period from 1842-1896. These are 2 of my best books, and they are in the countries best comic museum...very rewarding for me as a collector.

Geppi must think highly of Obadiah to borrow one of the best copies in the world and set it on display.

What is Geppi's opinion of OO's place in comic-book history?

I couldn't speak for Geppi's or anyone elses opinion out of respect. However, the fact the museum did want to display Obadiah is, at least in my opinion, a sign of this book being held in very high regard by either Steve and/or his staff. I was very honored when I was asked to participate.

I have one other very rare key book on display there which has been mentioned in this thread earlier.....Journey to the Gold Diggins by Jeremiah Saddlebgs -- the 1st comic book by American creators, dated 1849. Oldbuck and Saddlebags are the #1 and #2 keys of the Victorian Age.....a 54 year time period from 1842-1896. These are 2 of my best books, and they are in the countries best comic museum...very rewarding for me as a collector.

I don't know how Geppi views OO or that era of comics (the term being used in a general sense to avoid conflict!!), but John Snyder (Geppi's #2) absolutely loves them!

... the reporter made at least one error by writing that everything on display is Geppi's own, right?...

Yes I mentioned that above that I knew some of the items in the museum are not owned by Geppi. Not a significant error by any means, but an error.

Baltimore is just 40 miles from DC. Easy car or train ride. Definitely worth the trip.

Ooops. I saw your post but didn't notice you making that point. Who am I to break the thread tradition of not reading what the other guy wrote?

Thanks for the travel info. I'll have to make that side trip next time I'm in DC. (OT: Why aren't there more big conferences and conventions in Baltimore? Small conference center or not enough hotel rooms? I can't recall American Chemical Society meeting there, for example.)

Jack

I met Showcase and his very lovely wife at the grand opening. Unfortunately didn't get a chance to take a picture but enjoyed the conversation very much!!

Fortunately Showcase's mentor showed up afterwards to pose with ye ole Oldbuck!

1388055-Beirbohm.jpg

Thanks Mark...great speaking to you too. The Geppi Museum party was a huge success...packed with the "who's who" of the comic world. ( Don't know how I made the guest list tongue.gif ). Bob looks like $20,000 in this suit, doesn't he? 27_laughing.gif