• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Heroes Convention 2006 Report

61 posts in this topic

Nice...I looked through some of Bob's stuff, but don't believe I made it through everything. There's always one or two boxes somewhere on the con floor that look inconspicuous from the outside, but hold hidden treasures within! hail.gif

My 2006 con report

I went there yesterday (Saturday), driving from Raleigh. I'd never been to the Charlotte Convention Center (CCC) before, but it was very easy to find (fortunately). I'd never been to the con before, so I have nothing to judge it against. Even though Saturday was probably the busiest day, I didn't have to wait to get a ticket, and there was a short line at the escalator going downstairs. I was worried that it would be so crowded that you couldn't get into people's booths, but space really wasn't a problem, and I was there all day.

I went there to find comics that I needed for my full runs. I looked at some dealers' wall books, but more out of curiosity than anything else. I didn't go there to buy any big-ticket items, I didn't bother checking or comparing prices.

The convention, for my needs, was fantastic. It was dollar-comic Heaven. grin.gif I got nice copies of dozens of books that I needed for a dollar each, or less (there were several 50-cent bins that I found stuff in). One dealer had "$1 each or 12 for $10", and I bought 24 from him. The oldest book I got was a decent reading copy of Flash (Barry) #213 for a dollar. I also got two Hulk paperback novels from the late 70's ("Stalker from the Stars" and "Cry of the Beast").

I got a lot of JLA Classified and JLA (the modern series) books, including #6, which I've needed for a while. I also got a lot of modern Hulk and What If (vol. 2 and the modern one-shot issues) issues. I also found Daredevil (vol. 1) 354 and 370 for a dollar each, which I was pretty happy with. Some issues near the end of vol. 1 have been tough to find at low prices.

I was hoping to find reading copies of Cap #241 and DD #380 for a dollar, but no luck. smile.gif

The dealers that I talked to about the con overall said that most people had moved a lot of dollar-comic stock, but not many big-ticket items.

I went to the booth that had the comic store stock selling for .50 if it wasn't bagged. There were a bunch of short boxes stacked on top of each other, and it wasn't in alphabetical order. It was near the end of the day by the time I got there, and I had no energy left to go through all the boxes comic by comic, hoping to find something. Maybe if I'd hit it earlier in the day, but by then, forget it. I'd already dug through enough unorganized boxes. I was in and out of the booth in about a minute.

I had planned to take a bunch of pictures, but I was so busy going through dollar bins, I lost interest in taking pictures and took my camera back to my car. By the time I got done, the show was almost over for the day. I was worn out from digging through boxes. I found a lot of good stuff, and thankfully, a LOT of dealers had their dollar bins in alphabetical and numerical order, but not all of them did.

I got to meet finecomics (who was busy with customers, so I really didn't a chance to talk to him), thecollector (whom I met briefly), and Sal. I met a couple of other people who are forum members but don't post much. I enjoyed hanging out and walking around with Sal. Too bad I wasn't able to come on Friday.

I'm like arex, I didn't think about having to pay to park. I had to pay $8 to park, but it was right across from the CCC, so it was a very short walk back to my car (I'd take my comics back to the car when I'd fill up the bags they gave us; I'm glad I didn't have to lug everything around all day!).

I went back to my car and ate a breakfast bar (I bought a box at the grocery store as I was leaving to eat on the say) for lunch, and had some pizza at the Fuel restaurant across the street from the CCC for supper near the end of the con. I left probably around 6:30. Traffic wasn't bad going there or coming back, which was a little surprising considering it's a holiday weekend.

I saw some statues/busts that I'd love to have, but I've intentionally NOT started collecting them. The one I liked the most, I'd never seen before - it's a big statue of The Thing, based on the cover of Fantastic Four #51 ("This Man, This Monster"). I'd love to own it, but $150 is just too much. I didn't have that much money with me, anyway.

I'm not an autograph or sketch hound, so I didn't venture to that side of the room or upstairs during the signings. I also didn't attend any of the speeches/discussions, either, so I don't know how those were. I don't even know who all was there. I saw Don Rosa, but only because Sal pointed him out to me.

I picked up some extra programs if anyone would like one. I also got a couple of extra posters (the "Marvel Zombies" poster that is based on the Avengers #4 cover), but I'm not sure how to go about mailing those of someone wants them mailed flat.

All in all, I had a great time, and I'm glad I went. I'd been on a comic-buying moratorium since last year while we paid off some bills, moved, etc., so it was good to mark a lot of things off my want list. I hope I can go again next year.

Hey save me a program and poster for trade, I may have a Cap 241 still around since I have me reader boxes still. Will check in a bit.

Newbie alert...

Heroes 2006 was my first comic convention, and I thought that was how they all were. I saw a lot of overpriced fair-to-middling copies of the SA/BA stuff that I was interested in, all baking in the hot convention lights. I expected to see more CGC/PGX graded issues for sale, excluding the 9.8 Modern age $7.99 free-for-all. One vendor towards the middle had several boxes of 9.4 SA Marvels, which were in a gray area which looked 'behind the counter'. All were quite overpriced.

At one of the booths, a very scientific looking guy set up shop at the Charlton/Harvey/Atlas boxes. He would pull out a handful of books at a time, methodically scan the edges, and occasionally take a book out of the plastic for further inspection. He had a little notebook with lamenated sheets in which he would locate the issue and, I suppose, find it's value. He was there for quite some time. He's probably got the market cornered in something, but I'm not sure what.

I did buy a bunch of old non-Creepy/Eerie horror mags ('Weird', 'Tales of the Tomb', etc.) that only I and maybe Rob Zombie would be interested in - 'Told in New Chilling Picto-Fiction!', mind you. And I dropped my Spidey 129 9.0 off at the CGC booth to be re-holdered. I was going to hit the guys up there for some free grading-at-a-glance, but I didn't know the protocol.

Welcome to the boards!

The guy with the slabs in the middle was Dale Roberts. He had several Cap books that I would have liked to have had, but I believe his prices were high. Maybe there was haggle room in there, but as I wasnt in the market for anything I didnt waste his or my time haggling.

Harley had a good amount of graded stuff as well. His prices were also a little high (is that an understatement 893scratchchin-thumb.gif) but that is Harley and his pricing.

Did you see the guy who had his GA books laying out on the table that he covered in plastic? He was working on a cpu about the whole time I saw him. If someone asked him a question, it seemed to perturb him. confused-smiley-013.gif

Welcome to the boards!

The guy with the slabs in the middle was Dale Roberts. He had several Cap books that I would have liked to have had, but I believe his prices were high. Maybe there was haggle room in there, but as I wasnt in the market for anything I didnt waste his or my time haggling.

Harley had a good amount of graded stuff as well. His prices were also a little high (is that an understatement 893scratchchin-thumb.gif) but that is Harley and his pricing.

Did you see the guy who had his GA books laying out on the table that he covered in plastic? He was working on a cpu about the whole time I saw him. If someone asked him a question, it seemed to perturb him. confused-smiley-013.gif

893scratchchin-thumb.gif Would that be Richie M. from Tomorrow's Treasures.....sounds like him.

Welcome to the boards!

893scratchchin-thumb.gif Would that be Richie M. from Tomorrow's Treasures.....sounds like him.

If I were a betting man, I would say chances are pretty high gossip.gif

Yep, the guy with the laptop was with Tomorrow's Treasures. He had some sweet books under a large sheet of clear plastic, but they looked ultra high dolla (FF #12 in particular). He looked pretty serious to me.

Yep, he does have some nice books.....but he likes to doctor his books, so beware of that.

Yep, the guy with the laptop was with Tomorrow's Treasures. He had some sweet books under a large sheet of clear plastic, but they looked ultra high dolla (FF #12 in particular). He looked pretty serious to me.

Yep, he does have some nice books.....but he likes to doctor his books, so beware of that.

i wouldn't buy from him with someone else's money, and not for the reason above. i can't transact with people who don't give off at least a hint of personality.

of course, too much personality isn't great either. so really, i just play it by ear. or stick to buying from forumites cloud9.gif

i wouldn't buy from him with someone else's money, and not for the reason above. i can't transact with people who don't give off at least a hint of personality.

of course, too much personality isn't great either. so really, i just play it by ear. or stick to buying from forumites cloud9.gif

I've never bought from him, though I have stopped to look.....only to be ignored. 27_laughing.gif

That guy is a loser. Irefuse to buy from him.

Newbie alert...

Heroes 2006 was my first comic convention, and I thought that was how they all were. I saw a lot of overpriced fair-to-middling copies of the SA/BA stuff that I was interested in, all baking in the hot convention lights. I expected to see more CGC/PGX graded issues for sale, excluding the 9.8 Modern age $7.99 free-for-all.

I submitted most of those books!!! cloud9.gif

Anyway, good reports guys!!! Looks like everyone has a pretty good time. I hope to be back next year! 893applaud-thumb.gif