• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anyone know eBayer "jerrybyrnes"? Added details of emails...

77 posts in this topic

This guy refuses to honor an auction simply because I stated in my PayPal comment that I would return the raw comic if not as described. Do any of you know him or have dealings with him?

I've added the details re the emails. WHat do you folks think? I will let it slide, but I think he's wrong here.

V/R,

Mike

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...N%3AIT&rd=1

My message was very short when I paid (within 24 hours of the win) via PayPal: Note: Please package the comic securely and safely. I will return for refund if not as described.

Thanks!

Mike

Jerry's first message:

Michael -

In 7 years of sales and over 2000 Paypal payments received, you have included the first threat I've ever been delivered with payment. Here's a clue: it is implicit in all auctions that if the item is not as described it will be returned for a refund. I'm not sure why you felt the need to include that as part of your message to me, but I would prefer to refund your payment now rather than involve myself in a problem with a buyer that already seems to have one.

I will happily refund your payment right now and file for a credit with ebay rather than proceed with this transaction. There were full-size scans of both covers so I'm not sure how the description would be incorrect but I am very familiar with ebay buyers that cannot be pleased.

I will refund your payment after I hear from you and we can end this transaction.

Jerry Byrnes

My first response:

Jerry

Not sure why you are being so defensive. Note my feedback is perfect thus far, so I obviously have not had major issues in the past. My comments weren't meant as a threat, and I appreciate your concern. I'm sure you also know it's impossible to grade a comic accurately by a scan for a buyer like myself. Please send the comic and let's make this another successful exchange.

His response to my response...

Perhaps you didn't read my message - I am not being defensive (but wouldn't you characterize your warning about the condition of the book as pre-emptive defense?). I am simply attempting to avoid a conflict with a buyer I do not know and who seems to think I am interested in comparing grading preferences. And I know exactly what you mean when you say it's impossible to grade a (I assume you meant comic & not comment) accurately by a scan - what I'm concerned about is the quote a buyer like myself unquote comment.

If you were concerned enough to explicitly threaten (and yes, it was a threat) to return the book, you either should not have bid at all or contacted me prior to bidding and I would have discouraged your bid. Comments like that are made by extremely picky graders and those types of people tend to waste much time & effort sending the book back and forth. And I'm sorry, but after you've been on ebay for awhile you discover how irrelevant and subjective feedback is - in my opinion ebay feedback is completely worthless and I have voiced this concern to ebay. At this point I would really prefer to end the transaction. First you issue a warning regarding the book and then you criticize my response as being defensive. In my mind, this is already an unsuccessful transaction.

My response to his response to my response (this is fun...):

You offerred an item in an auction and I won. I suppose you don't care about the contract you're breaking.

And his latest response...:

I have had transactions with buyers who bid on & won auctions, and then after winning, demanded a lower S&H charge than what was clearly posted in the auction. When I would not lower the S&H, one buyer not only quote broke the contract unquote but left me negative feedback. Ebay told me that was perfectly acceptable to them since feedback is a quote forum of public opinion unquote. So apparently, ebay isn't all that concerned about breaking the contract or even fairness, in my opinion. All sellers reserve the right to refuse service to buyers whether it be in a retail setting or online. Ebay provides a means to block bidders that sellers don't want to do business with - but of course that didn't help me in this case since I hadn't anticipated a problem with you until I received your payment with the unnecessary threat of return if you weren't satisfied. All you had to do was refrain from including that message and there wouldn't have been any problem. And of course, since this is the USA you are free to sue me if you wish.

One last point: I will be filing for a credit on the final auction value fee for the book. I can tell ebay that we have mutually agreed not to complete the transaction and we can both move on and you won't receive an ebay strike. If you disagree, I will just put through the credit unilaterally and your account will receive a strike. I would prefer we both walk away from this transaction without any further acrimony. If I do not hear back from you regarding this I will assume you disagree and I will file for the credit anyway. I have no desire to place a strike on your account and / or leave you negative feedback so I would hope you will agree to disagree and we can part ways somewhat amicably.

I have him on my favorite sellers list. He grades acurately, provides large scans so I know what I am getting, and if I don't agree with his grade, I don't bid. But, as I mentioned, I usually agree with his grading.

Also, his shipping rates are fair, and things are packed securely.

Out of curiousity, what prompted the comment on your part? The scan is not showing up on the link, was it not there during the auction?

Tom

Tom

I always put a short comment in my PayPal payments for raw comics that I will return them if not as described. This has saved me from going through with a couple of auctions in which the seller knew their comic wasn't as described.

For some reason, Jerry replied that he didn't like threats and he didn't plan to send me the comic. He did return my money, but now he's threatening me with a negative unless I agree to walk. So stupid over a common bronze comic.

I edited my original message and added the emails...

V/R,

Mike

I had one dealing with him after waitng the better part of two weeks for a book. When I asked him where it was he said be patient. I had paid for priority mail and figured the whole purpose of priority was by then defeated.

He said he would refund my money, which he did and that was the end of that. I did come to find out later that he just forgot. If he would have said "Sorry, I forgot it is in the mail tomorrow" I would not have had a problem but he did not explain himself properly. I honestly can say I do look at his auctions still and would bid if he had a "must have" book.

Hey Mike,

I do agree that it was ridiculous of the seller not to go through with the transaction, and I do think he overreacted. No question there.

But at the same time, your initial statement was a bit blunt, and I can see how it started him down the path of overreacting. If I received that message as a seller, I would send you the book, but honestly I would be a bit nervous about how you would react to the book I was sending (even though, of course I would honor a return if my grade was off). Going forward, I would probably either reword your statement to be a bit "softer", or just leave it out altogether. Just my two cents. confused-smiley-013.gif

This guy refuses to honor an auction simply because I stated in my PayPal comment that I would return the raw comic if not as described. Do any of you know him or have dealings with him?

I've added the details re the emails. WHat do you folks think? I will let it slide, but I think he's wrong here.

V/R,

Mike

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...N%3AIT&rd=1

My message was very short when I paid (within 24 hours of the win) via PayPal: Note: Please package the comic securely and safely. I will return for refund if not as described.

Thanks!

Mike

Jerry's first message:

Michael -

In 7 years of sales and over 2000 Paypal payments received, you have included the first threat I've ever been delivered with payment. Here's a clue: it is implicit in all auctions that if the item is not as described it will be returned for a refund. I'm not sure why you felt the need to include that as part of your message to me, but I would prefer to refund your payment now rather than involve myself in a problem with a buyer that already seems to have one.

I will happily refund your payment right now and file for a credit with ebay rather than proceed with this transaction. There were full-size scans of both covers so I'm not sure how the description would be incorrect but I am very familiar with ebay buyers that cannot be pleased.

I will refund your payment after I hear from you and we can end this transaction.

Jerry Byrnes

My first response:

Jerry

Not sure why you are being so defensive. Note my feedback is perfect thus far, so I obviously have not had major issues in the past. My comments weren't meant as a threat, and I appreciate your concern. I'm sure you also know it's impossible to grade a comic accurately by a scan for a buyer like myself. Please send the comic and let's make this another successful exchange.

His response to my response...

Perhaps you didn't read my message - I am not being defensive (but wouldn't you characterize your warning about the condition of the book as pre-emptive defense?). I am simply attempting to avoid a conflict with a buyer I do not know and who seems to think I am interested in comparing grading preferences. And I know exactly what you mean when you say it's impossible to grade a (I assume you meant comic & not comment) accurately by a scan - what I'm concerned about is the quote a buyer like myself unquote comment.

If you were concerned enough to explicitly threaten (and yes, it was a threat) to return the book, you either should not have bid at all or contacted me prior to bidding and I would have discouraged your bid. Comments like that are made by extremely picky graders and those types of people tend to waste much time & effort sending the book back and forth. And I'm sorry, but after you've been on ebay for awhile you discover how irrelevant and subjective feedback is - in my opinion ebay feedback is completely worthless and I have voiced this concern to ebay. At this point I would really prefer to end the transaction. First you issue a warning regarding the book and then you criticize my response as being defensive. In my mind, this is already an unsuccessful transaction.

My response to his response to my response (this is fun...):

You offerred an item in an auction and I won. I suppose you don't care about the contract you're breaking.

And his latest response...:

I have had transactions with buyers who bid on & won auctions, and then after winning, demanded a lower S&H charge than what was clearly posted in the auction. When I would not lower the S&H, one buyer not only quote broke the contract unquote but left me negative feedback. Ebay told me that was perfectly acceptable to them since feedback is a quote forum of public opinion unquote. So apparently, ebay isn't all that concerned about breaking the contract or even fairness, in my opinion. All sellers reserve the right to refuse service to buyers whether it be in a retail setting or online. Ebay provides a means to block bidders that sellers don't want to do business with - but of course that didn't help me in this case since I hadn't anticipated a problem with you until I received your payment with the unnecessary threat of return if you weren't satisfied. All you had to do was refrain from including that message and there wouldn't have been any problem. And of course, since this is the USA you are free to sue me if you wish.

One last point: I will be filing for a credit on the final auction value fee for the book. I can tell ebay that we have mutually agreed not to complete the transaction and we can both move on and you won't receive an ebay strike. If you disagree, I will just put through the credit unilaterally and your account will receive a strike. I would prefer we both walk away from this transaction without any further acrimony. If I do not hear back from you regarding this I will assume you disagree and I will file for the credit anyway. I have no desire to place a strike on your account and / or leave you negative feedback so I would hope you will agree to disagree and we can part ways somewhat amicably.

Sorry, I've no sympathy for you on this one. What exactly do you expect sellers to do once they read your message? The crappy ones are going to ship your book anyway, so what's the point?

Given the propensity of buyers to cause problems, for me your statement would have raised the likelihood of you being a risk several fold. If the book is $50 or more, and I wasn't in a particularly cheerful mood that day, I would have done the same thing as mr. byrnes. You need to lose the belligerent edge, which became more apparent in your follow up email.

Hey Mike,

I do agree that it was ridiculous of the seller not to go through with the transaction, and I do think he overreacted. No question there.

But at the same time, your initial statement was a bit blunt, and I can see how it started him down the path of overreacting. If I received that message as a seller, I would send you the book, but honestly I would be a bit nervous about how you would react to the book I was sending (even though, of course I would honor a return if my grade was off). Going forward, I would probably either reword your statement to be a bit "softer", or just leave it out altogether. Just my two cents. confused-smiley-013.gif

Mike:

Jon is a much nicer guy than me.

I can tell ebay that we have mutually agreed not to complete the transaction and we can both move on and you won't receive an ebay strike. If you disagree, I will just put through the credit unilaterally and your account will receive a strike.

This isn't correct. He's just trying to intimidate you into agreeing with him when he files for a refund of his listing fees. When he files, eBay will email you asking if you mutually agreed to end the transaction. If you didn't, then he won't get his listing fees back.

In fact, I think you can file a complaint against him and I believe HE is the one who will get a strike on his record as a seller. You paid via Paypal, so it's a no brainer that you can prove to eBay that you paid for the auction and upheld your end of the transaction. His refusal to ship the item after you paid for it means he is the one who is in violation of eBay rules.

Don't let him intimidate you into thinking otherwise.

I can tell ebay that we have mutually agreed not to complete the transaction and we can both move on and you won't receive an ebay strike. If you disagree, I will just put through the credit unilaterally and your account will receive a strike.

This isn't correct. He's just trying to intimidate you into agreeing with him when he files for a refund of his listing fees. When he files, eBay will email you asking if you mutually agreed to end the transaction. If you didn't, then he won't get his listing fees back.

In fact, I think you can file a complaint against him and I believe HE is the one who will get a strike on his record as a seller. You paid via Paypal, so it's a no brainer that you can prove to eBay that you paid for the auction and upheld your end of the transaction. His refusal to ship the item after you paid for it means he is the one who is in violation of eBay rules.

Don't let him intimidate you into thinking otherwise.

Guys who can catch bullets with their teeth are never intimidated.

I agree I was a bit blunt, but I paid very quickly. My perfect feedback should at least have gotten him to relax a bit. Also, anyone selling raw books should be ready to accept returns if not as described. I started adding my return message after an auction noted no returns. I just want to make sure I won't keep a piece of [embarrassing lack of self control] book if it's not as described. I absolutely don't think I was being belligerant. He went way over the edge on this. I've taken a number of negotiating courses and am a big fan of Fisher's "Getting to Yes." I just want things to be reasonable and fair to both sides. He was/is not reasonable.

I think I'm going to give him a negative and just see how it goes.

V/R,

Mike

I just don't understand the attitudes of some who sell on eBay. How about treating people fairly and respectfully?

V/R,

Mike

Mike - a couple problems with your email which would cause any seller to be taken back by it. First, and foremost, is that the seller is the one who determines whether or not they have a return policy, not the buyer. If the buyer doesn't agree with the seller's terms, they simply shouldn't deal with that seller. Second, you waited until after the auction ended to dictate your terms. If their return policy is not stated in the auction, you should email them before the end of the auction to clarify their policy. thumbsup2.gif

Not everyone has a great return policy and is as easy-going as me!! yay.gif

I'm confused, why am I at fault here? I'm interested as I don't think I did anything other than be a bit blunt.

He had no return policy listed, I paid him right away, and I simply stated I would return the comic if not as described? How am I at fault? I've got perfect feedback on eBay, and I've purchased from a number of board members with never a problem. Is it wrong to state the obvious about a return? How many of you have been burned by overgraded raw books?

V/R,

Mike

Roger that Dr B. I usually do email first, but I was out of town and didn't have a chance to do so. I bought books from you with no problems on either end! I still think Jerry should have sent the comic. I paid and if he's a reasonable grader, no problems.

V/R,

Mike

I had a bad experience with him, wihout going into detail, just to say there is no flexability with him at all. I did not leave him neg. feedback, and he did not leave me neg. feedback, and I never did get about $43 worth of books I did pay for. If you want, PM me, and I will tell you exactly.

I had a bad experience with him, wihout going into detail, just to say there is no flexability with him at all. I did not leave him neg. feedback, and he did not leave me neg. feedback, and I never did get about $43 worth of books I did pay for. If you want, PM me, and I will tell you exactly.

You paid $43 for books you never got and you didn't leave a negative? Did you get a refund?

I'm confused, why am I at fault here? I'm interested as I don't think I did anything other than be a be blunt.

He had no return policy listed, I paid him right away, and I simply stated I would return the comic if not as described? How am I at fault? I've got perfect feedback on eBay, and I've purchased from a number of board members with never a problem. Is it wrong to state the obvious about a return? How many of you have been burned by overgraded raw books?

V/R,

Mike

Mike, you should lay your fears BEFORE you bid on an auction. If you were unsure about the grade then you should have contacted him and discussed it or not placed a bid. Furthermore to then go ahead and demand a return with your payment even though that seller doesn't have a return policy is strange to say the least. Again you should have discussed this before you bid. If the seller doesn't have a return policy you can't force him to unless there was serious foul play. If you received it and it didn't meet expectations, fine go ahead and take it up with the seller. Doing that with even before you have received the book would leave me with a bad taste in the mouth and i wouldn't want to deal with either.