• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anyone know eBayer "jerrybyrnes"? Added details of emails...

77 posts in this topic

Wrightson_fan, Hmmph. I have a nose for smelling a basturd. It's not all the positives that reveal someone, it's what happens when the auction doesn't go according to the -script. What an unusual situation you had and how easily it could've been resolved. How many of you sellers out there would've just refunded the money? Is this even a necessary question to ask? Any straightforward seller woulda' refunded you your second payment. Think it through. He must be a smart guy. If he didn't do this then it was to blackmail your into buying more comics from him. Wrightson_fan, I'm curious to know if you come to this conclusion.

I came to the conclusion that he was a horse's hindquarters. I came up with the idea of buying more books as it was the only possible way I had of getting any of my funds back, however in book form. He was a very rude man and his e-mails to me were much stronger than the ones the orginal poster of this thread received as I pretty much called him a crook when he refused to return my money. I guess he realized how he was acting and agreed to let me have my own money as a "credit" for a future purchase, which I completed on his very next auction. If I had been a member of these boards at the time, I would have read the riot act about him. Due to his harsh emails, let's just say that if I had lived in the same city as he, I would have paid him a visit. sumo.gif

Scott

yes, if you refund a paypal payment to a buyer your paypal fees are also refunded.

assuming 1% fees (as if)

a buyer pays you $100

you get $99, paypal $1

if you have to refund the seller $100, you would only have to pay $99

it's pro rated for partial refunds. I've done a few partial refunds where the shipping has been much cheaper than I expected

At the time I had no clue about any of this as I had never asked for a refund before, but I did know Paypal gets their cut on everything, therefore I assumed he would be charged the fees. I was trying anything to get my money back, even resorting to taking less than I paid him. Like I said, he still said no. Therefore, I bought more books.

Scott

Sorry to hear that, I have dealt with him a couple of times and all I can say is he was very professional and his grading was spot on. As a matter of fact one of the books I sent in to have graded, it was a PS #?, he graded it a 9.4 and it came back a 9.6.

Sorry to hear that, I have dealt with him a couple of times and all I can say is he was very professional and his grading was spot on. As a matter of fact one of the books I sent in to have graded, it was a PS #?, he graded it a 9.4 and it came back a 9.6.

I understand that not every transaction goes the same way, but my transaction encountered a problem, and he was unwilling or not interested in fixing it. To me, this speaks volumes about a person's character. You might not remember it but I have purchased a few books from you Nik and everything went smoothly. I feel that in talking to you when I was buying the books, that if there had been a problem, you would have made it right. He could have cared less. Honestly. I am glad you have had decent transactions as I don't wish conflict on anyone. However, I buy alot of books, and I don't care if he had an Avengers 4 for 3 dollars, it could rot before he would see any of my money. Now let me tell you how I really feel. tongue.gif

Scott

I had a run-in with Mr. Byrnes about a year ago over a couple of books. I paid him through Paypal and through some type of glitch, he ended up being paid twice for the books. I contacted Paypal and they said the easiest way to remedy the situation was for the seller to simply refund the second payment. I contacted him about this and he absolutely refused to do so. He kept "screaming" about chargebacks and I was resigned to the fact that he was going to keep my money. I even offered for him to take the Paypal fees out of what he should have refunded me. He still refused. I finally ended up having to bid on more items and use the credit towards those books and pay the additional balance. He was extremely rude and was absolutely unwilling to work with me unless I purchased more books. Let me just say that h*ll will freeze over before he gets another dime from me.

Scott

Damn, what a ! Looks like I won't be buying any of his junk anytime soon. mad.gif

i'm sorry, but isn't what Byrnes did above considered criminal?

I had a run-in with Mr. Byrnes about a year ago over a couple of books. I paid him through Paypal and through some type of glitch, he ended up being paid twice for the books. I contacted Paypal and they said the easiest way to remedy the situation was for the seller to simply refund the second payment. I contacted him about this and he absolutely refused to do so. He kept "screaming" about chargebacks and I was resigned to the fact that he was going to keep my money. I even offered for him to take the Paypal fees out of what he should have refunded me. He still refused. I finally ended up having to bid on more items and use the credit towards those books and pay the additional balance. He was extremely rude and was absolutely unwilling to work with me unless I purchased more books. Let me just say that h*ll will freeze over before he gets another dime from me.

Scott

Damn, what a ! Looks like I won't be buying any of his junk anytime soon. mad.gif

i'm sorry, but isn't what Byrnes did above considered criminal?

It should be, but maybe he is above the law?? 893scratchchin-thumb.gifwink.gif Maybe "I couldn't handle the truth" so he was keeping my money to protect me? Who the heck knows. I feel much better after all this venting.

Scott

I came to the conclusion that he was a horse's hindquarters. I came up with the idea of buying more books as it was the only possible way I had of getting any of my funds back, however in book form.

My point exactly. By giving you credit he is acknowledging that he has your money. I agree with the above comment that we are crossing into criminal activity. Extortion.

I agree I was a bit blunt, but I paid very quickly. My perfect feedback should at least have gotten him to relax a bit. Also, anyone selling raw books should be ready to accept returns if not as described. I started adding my return message after an auction noted no returns. I just want to make sure I won't keep a piece of [embarrassing lack of self control] book if it's not as described. I absolutely don't think I was being belligerant. He went way over the edge on this. I've taken a number of negotiating courses and am a big fan of Fisher's "Getting to Yes." I just want things to be reasonable and fair to both sides. He was/is not reasonable.

I think I'm going to give him a negative and just see how it goes.

V/R,

Mike

Mike,

The time to discuss returns is before you bid and win, plain and simple. If a seller is giving you a hard time before you press the bid button, move on. In this case you won, them you tell him you plan to return the item if it's not right. He already said he takes returns, why beat the issue to a pulp?

Do you order food and tell the waiter you plan to send it back before you get it? That's what you are doing, preparing for a return before you get the item. Not very cool. Jerry has good feedback and grades pretty well. I don't think he deserved the shot ahead of time.

If I get an email like yours I always tell the buyer to keep his money, I don't need the practice of sending out books to overly anal buyers. Too much headache for a few dollars.

I love ya, but your blunt email was out of line and in this case backfired on you. The emails prove that fact.

Hey, have a good one!

I'm not going to read through all 8 pages of posts, but your note in the paypal payment could be constued as a bit obnoxious and were I selling you the item I might think you're one of these guys who likes to buy stuff and then maybe try to blackmail the seller or return it if it does not exceed expectations. A more polite message might have "If I don't feel like this item is as described may I return it?" It says the same thing without any inference that you think there's a decent probability that you won't be happy with the item.

I'm a lawyer, Believe me, I don't think I'd be too happy if my first conversation with a new client started with "If I don't like how you handle my case I won't pay the bill" or, "If you mess anything up I'm going to report you to the disciplinary committee." Sure, my examples are more extreme, but you get my point. It's easy to draw the incorrect onference from your comment that you expect there to be a problem.

I'm not going to read through all 8 pages of posts, but your note in the paypal payment could be constued as a bit obnoxious and were I selling you the item I might think you're one of these guys who likes to buy stuff and then maybe try to blackmail the seller or return it if it does not exceed expectations. A more polite message might have "If I don't feel like this item is as described may I return it?" It says the same thing without any inference that you think there's a decent probability that you won't be happy with the item.

I'm a lawyer, Believe me, I don't think I'd be too happy if my first conversation with a new client started with "If I don't like how you handle my case I won't pay the bill" or, "If you mess anything up I'm going to report you to the disciplinary committee." Sure, my examples are more extreme, but you get my point. It's easy to draw the incorrect onference from your comment that you expect there to be a problem.

Sorry mlovest I gotta go with the Seller here. I had the same almost identical problem with a CGC Forum member who started badgering me about the shipping costs AFTER the auction closed.

I sent the Bidder his money back and all was forgotten until I re-listed that same comic 3 weeks later. Then that same bidder saw the comic up for sale again, and had his "shill" bid and win the comic for $45.00( far more than the first one which he won for $16. and change) but lo and behold, he slammed two negs on me, my very first two negs after I had a perfect eBay rating for almost 4 years.

This went back and forth, many CGC Forumites taking up for this bidder because he "paid he paid yadda yadda" and some CGC Forumites told him he was clearly wrong to hassle me after the auction closed. Mr. Borock winded up locking that Thread after I started posting the Square Trade emails and to make a long story short, I winded up selling him the comic for the first price, not the second, just to show everyone up here and that I was NOT the evil Dealer they painted me as. His second shill was permanently banned on ebay and I got the 2nd neg removed after 3 months of hassling eBay, but the first neg remained because that bidder refused to remove it. It is the ONLY neg I ever got as a Seller and yes it still stings when I think about it. My next five negs were retailiatory when I bought overgraded junk from the typical eBayer that can't grade comics you see on a daily basis. They use NM to describe their junk to obtain the highest price possible for pure greed. That is another story for another time.

The only 2 good things that ever came out of that story was that I met the bidder at Wizard world I think it was 2004 and we got along real well. He was a very different person in person and unlike his online persona. I told him that I would buy him some beers to make up for the two dollars or however much he thought I gipped him out of. He said ok! I even called him on the phone a few times and we got along then too!

But the point of all of this was that your first contact of " if this ain't NM yadda yadda I'm gonna send 'er back ya hear me??" is NOT the way to conduct business online, let alone in person.

Yes I have bought from this eBayer at least twice and he did me right from what I can recall.

Hope this helps.

CAL 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Do you order food and tell the waiter you plan to send it back before you get it? That's what you are doing, preparing for a return before you get the item. Not very cool. Jerry has good feedback and grades pretty well. I don't think he deserved the shot ahead of time.

If I get an email like yours I always tell the buyer to keep his money, I don't need the practice of sending out books to overly anal buyers. Too much headache for a few dollars.

I love ya, but your blunt email was out of line and in this case backfired on you. The emails prove that fact.

NOCHIPS

If I had to do it all over again - I would still send the problem-buyer his/her money back and take my chances that way. This guy here was lucky jerryburns sent the comic.

CAL popcorn.gif

UPDATE!

I received the comic today, and it is in outstanding condition. No returns from me for sure. Thanks again for all the advice and input.

V/R,

Mike

takeit.gifyay.gifheadbang.gifcloud9.gif893applaud-thumb.gifthumbsup2.gif

Good to see that, Mike! It's good to see that everything worked out for you and Jerry. Hopefully you will be able to continue to do business with him in the future. It would appear that he has good books available and he grades fairly, and those are two rare assets indeed on eekBay! 893whatthe.gif

OK, this is almost funny... Jerry noticed that we already completed an eBay exchange in 2002. I bought a CGC 9.4 Swamp Thing #9 from him for $33. Of course, we both left positive feedback.

V/R,

Mike