• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Question About Marvel Value Stamp

42 posts in this topic

Here's an excerpt from a MVS article I wrote awhile back:

I guess the next step is to try and help you out by giving some sort of idea what comics might contain these elusive stamps. The following table has the basic "Mar/74-Apr/75" MVS-runs of the most popular Marvel comics, though some secondary titles may not be present and Marvel was known to skip a month here and there. The Marvel Value Stamp Promotion continued on past April 1975, though not in ever single Marvel Mag.

That was because around May-Dec of 1975, Marvel was a bit haphazard on whether a given issue would feature a MVS. I can only surmise that they extended the stamp printing period with a few series to ensure everyone got a shot at finding all 100. Some issues like Amazing Spider-man (or the low-selling horror titles?) had a MVS almost all the way through 1975, while The Defenders didn't include even a single MVS after April. Who knows if we'll ever find the answer to that little puzzler.

Comic Runs with Marvel Value Stamps

Iron Man #67-73

Daredevil #108-120

Sub-Mariner #69-72

Marvel Two-in-One #2-8

Captain Marvel #31-37

Marvel Premiere #14-21

Creatures on the Loose #28-34

Jungle Action #9-14

Sgt. Fury #118-125

Amazing Adventures #23-29

Defenders #13-23 Fantastic Four #144-157

Amazing Spider-man #130-143

Thor #221-234

Avengers #121-134

Tomb of Dracula #18-31

Captain America #171-184

Werewolf by Night #15-28

Man-Thing #3-16

Ka-Zar #2-8

Marvel Team-Up #19-32

Conan #36-49

Well, these are most of the mainstream titles, along with a few of the more esoteric books. Remember, the ending number doesn't necessarily mean that the Marvel Value Stamps stopped after that, but that this was the standard MVS time frame for all non-reprint Marvel titles.

I guess the next step is to try and help you out by giving some sort of idea what comics might contain these elusive stamps. The following table has the basic "Mar/74-Apr/75" MVS-runs of the most popular Marvel comics, though some secondary titles may not be present and Marvel was known to skip a month here and there. The Marvel Value Stamp Promotion continued on past April 1975, though not in ever single Marvel Mag.

That was because around May-Dec of 1975, Marvel was a bit haphazard on whether a given issue would feature a MVS. I can only surmise that they extended the stamp printing period with a few series to ensure everyone got a shot at finding all 100. Some issues like Amazing Spider-man (or the low-selling horror titles?) had a MVS almost all the way through 1975, while The Defenders didn't include even a single MVS after April. Who knows if we'll ever find the answer to that little puzzler.

Iron Man #67-73

Daredevil #108-120

Sub-Mariner #69-72

Marvel Two-in-One #2-8

Captain Marvel #31-37

Marvel Premiere #14-21

Jungle Action #9-14

Sgt. Fury #118-125

Thor #221-234

Avengers #121-134

Tomb of Dracula #18-31

Captain America #171-184

Werewolf by Night #15-28

Man-Thing #3-16

Ka-Zar #2-8

Marvel Team-Up #19-32

Conan #36-49

Well, these are most of the mainstream titles, along with a few of the more esoteric books. Remember, the ending number doesn't necessarily mean that the Marvel Value Stamps stopped after that, but that this was the standard MVS time frame for all non-reprint Marvel titles.

Wasn't Hulk #181 one of those?

Iron Man #67-73

Daredevil #108-120

Sub-Mariner #69-72

Marvel Two-in-One #2-8

Captain Marvel #31-37

Marvel Premiere #14-21

Jungle Action #9-14

Sgt. Fury #118-125

Thor #221-234

Avengers #121-134

Tomb of Dracula #18-31

Captain America #171-184

Werewolf by Night #15-28

Man-Thing #3-16

Ka-Zar #2-8

Marvel Team-Up #19-32

Conan #36-49

yes

Yeah, the list was missing a few titles and I was mostly concerned with some books I hadn't seen. I had all the Hulks and knew which stamps were there. grin.gif

Sub-Mariner #69-72

As I recall, the final stamp #100 was only printed once in Subby #72.

I clipped and collected them all foreheadslap.gif....still waiting for the great prizes the Stan promised.

I clipped them too.

I think the 100 was in a couple of books.

Definately Subby 72, but I thought there was at least one or two other issues with it. I'd love to see the list of issues and what stamp are in each one.

There's likely a list already compiled.

Marvel announced that stamp 100 would appear in only one magazie that summer.It did. The two other magazines with it came out later that fall.

I started a thread in the Bronze age forum about this subject. Metarog and several others were quite informitave.

I'd seen the site before. Thanks for posting the link.

I've got a loose Shanna stamp if anyone wants to purchase it for a Hulk 181 restoration job. :-)

Here's a cool site on the subject, even has where the artwork is from

MVS

That is a cool site! Back in '74 I couldn't wait to find the stamp #100, and once that subby issue came out, I assumed stamp #100 would not be printed again. I see it was in FF 154 and ASM 145 as mentioned previously.

It also appears that there are many others out there like me waiting to see the value of their MVS collection to reach the plateaus of FF #1 and ASM #1 as Stan was hyping! insane.gif