• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Heroes Con Sketches

22 posts in this topic

I just got done scanning in my Hereos Con pickups. After an 9 hour drive down, I crashed at my hotel and got into the show early. From that point I worked my azz off to get on every list I wanted to be on and pick through every stash of art I could find.

This thread will showcase the highlights of my con...

(or you can click here to skip all the BS and go directly to my CAF Heroes Con gallery)

Ok, first up, from my favorite current book, we have a Tony Harris Ex-Machina sketch. This costume has only been featured in one panel in the entire series to this point, but there's a strong possibility that it will be Mitch will wear it by the final issue:

Machina-Sketch.jpg

Next, a sweet watercolor of Death from Neil Gaiman's Sandman by J.G. Jones. Jeff is easily one of the best (and coolest) artists working in comics today.

jgdeath.jpg

I requested a sketch of "Batman with a lot of cape" from Ethan Van Sciver. When I came back on Sunday to pick it up, I overheard him telling another sketch collector that he had only finished 10 sketches out of the 30 names he had taken on Friday.

I was nervous that he hadn't gotten to my sketch, but as it turns out, I was likely the reason that he hadn't finished the other 20. I have NEVER seen an artist do something like this for a random fan (me) at a convention for their standard sketch fee. Not only is it amazingly detailed AND in color, but it's a freaking DPS on two standard size DC boards taped together.

ethan_batman.jpg

Congrats on all 3 of those. I got Tony Harris to do that Red Sonja for me back in April so I figured I would leave him alone for this show. BTW, how did you like his new hairdo -- got it special for attending a Penatcostal funeral.

I was on Jeff's list but he never got to me. And I've never been able to get one from Ethan. He has always flaked on me. However, as time goes on he gets better and better. I will have to try and get one the next time our paths cross.

Thanks! I hadn't seen your Sonja before - that's a great con sketch. I really dig Tony's style, and yes, his hair was incredible.

Next up, Bill Sienkiewicz. It was great to finally meet one of my all-time favorites and grab a cool Elecktra piece from him:

Sienkiewicz_Elektra.jpg

I was on ethans list for megacon. Went to him sat evening and he said he was close to being done with it, i was all giddy. He was a no show on sunday. I didn't bother with him at heroescon.

cool solar so that was you who walked by me as I told my buddy, hey that sketch is the same one I just got hehe, awesome sketches

WOW.

How is it you managed to get on all these high-profile lists (and get sketches) and I walked away empty-handed?! (I was one of the first 10 through the doors.)

I got on the Hughes list and Tim Sale's list - but didn't bring anything home. (Yet. Tim's still working on mine.)

Now I can't say I didn't pick up ANYTHING ...

Catwoman cover prelim by Adam Hughes

http://cafurl.com?i=1271

Captain America vs. Superman prelim by Mark Brooks

http://cafurl.com?i=1272

Rogue Mucha print prelim by Mark Brooks

http://cafurl.com?i=1273

Excalibur con portfolio piece by Casey Jones

http://cafurl.com?i=1274

... just none of the sketches I tried for. ;-)

I requested a sketch of "Batman with a lot of cape" from Ethan Van Sciver. When I came back on Sunday to pick it up, I overheard him telling another sketch collector that he had only finished 10 sketches out of the 30 names he had taken on Friday.

I was nervous that he hadn't gotten to my sketch, but as it turns out, I was likely the reason that he hadn't finished the other 20. I have NEVER seen an artist do something like this for a random fan (me) at a convention for their standard sketch fee. Not only is it amazingly detailed AND in color, but it's a freaking DPS on two standard size DC boards taped together.

ethan_batman.jpg

Brett,

that is a freakin' amazing piece ! - 893whatthe.gifhail.gif

Sweet sketches, Brett! Some of my favorite characters and books, good stuff.

From reading other people's posts about Heroes, it sounds like it was tough to get on artists' lists. You must have the lucky touch.

I was nervous that he hadn't gotten to my sketch, but as it turns out, I was likely the reason that he hadn't finished the other 20.

Having watched Ethan finish my Mary Marvel at WWLA this year I can tell you that he probably didn't finish the other 20 because the markers that he used on your art got him high as a kite. Those things are potent as hell and he leans in close when he's using them. It took two weeks for that smell to get out of my art... foreheadslap.gif

I was nervous that he hadn't gotten to my sketch, but as it turns out, I was likely the reason that he hadn't finished the other 20.

Having watched Ethan finish my Mary Marvel at WWLA this year I can tell you that he probably didn't finish the other 20 because the markers that he used on your art got him high as a kite. Those things are potent as hell and he leans in close when he's using them. It took two weeks for that smell to get out of my art... foreheadslap.gif

27_laughing.gif I'll be sure to sniff the piece tonight and give you a full report.