• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Forbes Interview

40 posts in this topic

I apreciated the fact that you were open about the circumstances under which you got some of your pieces, along with the prices you paid and your overall buying strategy. It's refreshing, especially in a hobby that can sometimes seem to be all about secret handshakes and blood oaths.

Yeah, the hobby is definitely a little secretive. I must admit I felt weird mentioning prices so bluntly, but they wouldn't have it any other way. And, in the end, i think honesty is always the best policy.

A great article. I don't know how much of a hand you had in guiding the interviewer, but it was structured in a way that they asked all the right questions in an appropriate order. There have been times in the past where I've read articles in the mainstream media about comics or other collectibles where the author and/or editor obviously did not understand the subject matter or what an interviewee was trying to convey.

The only thing that I think may have been slightly unclear to a reader are the instances where you mentioned CGC and comic grading. It may have been useful to briefly explain (in a single sentence) what third party professional grading and encapsulation is, and tie that to the impact it has on the comic and OA market.

Bravo!

-Jim

A great article. I don't know how much of a hand you had in guiding the interviewer, but it was structured in a way that they asked all the right questions in an appropriate order. There have been times in the past where I've read articles in the mainstream media about comics or other collectibles where the author and/or editor obviously did not understand the subject matter or what an interviewee was trying to convey.

The only thing that I think may have been slightly unclear to a reader are the instances where you mentioned CGC and comic grading. It may have been useful to briefly explain (in a single sentence) what third party professional grading and encapsulation is, and tie that to the impact it has on the comic and OA market.

Bravo!

-Jim

Yeah, I can see how that would be confusing. Hopefully they'll figure it out.

The editor/writer was quite good, as she's a Senior Editor at Forbes. She put the whole thing together in a cohesive manner, which I too was impressed with.

I'm having problems opening the file. I don't have an appropriate word processor I guess. Is there another way to read it as I also don't have an account with Forbes. Dan

Send me your email address, and I'll send you a pdf version.

I'm having problems opening the file. I don't have an appropriate word processor I guess. Is there another way to read it as I also don't have an account with Forbes. Dan

Hari; thanks, but Kk sent me a copy and as I'm on dial up at home just got it to finish loading.... thanks Kk. Nice Read and congrats on the writeup. Hey, stop paying so much and ruining it for the next guy..... (just kidding)

Seriously though, you and Stephen Ferzoco mentioned S.D. Are you going? We should organise a dinner or lunch or something. I always end up having dinner with a few collectors and dealers and it would be nice to branch out and catch up. Dan

Hari; thanks, but Kk sent me a copy and as I'm on dial up at home just got it to finish loading.... thanks Kk. Nice Read and congrats on the writeup. Hey, stop paying so much and ruining it for the next guy..... (just kidding)

Seriously though, you and Stephen Ferzoco mentioned S.D. Are you going? We should organise a dinner or lunch or something. I always end up having dinner with a few collectors and dealers and it would be nice to branch out and catch up. Dan

Hi Dan,

I would be interested in a dinner gathering, and had been hoping that someone local would organize one. Perhas we should just go ahead and book a restaurant for Friday night for, say, 20-25 people?

Dan

I am going but just for a very brief time: arriving Tuesday and leaving Thursday. Would love to get together though.

Stephen

Perhaps after preview night then? Stephen, you have my cell number, just give me a call.

Dan

I am going but just for a very brief time: arriving Tuesday and leaving Thursday. Would love to get together though.

Stephen

Perhaps after preview night then? Stephen, you have my cell number, just give me a call.

I'll be there Wed early til Sat. after the show, so preview night is good. Dan

Dan

Stephen

I'll be there Wed early til Sat. after the show, so preview night is good. Dan

sounds good. i'll post on comicart-l to see how many would be interested

I apreciated the fact that you were open about the circumstances under which you got some of your pieces, along with the prices you paid and your overall buying strategy. It's refreshing, especially in a hobby that can sometimes seem to be all about secret handshakes and blood oaths.

Yeah, the hobby is definitely a little secretive. I must admit I felt weird mentioning prices so bluntly, but they wouldn't have it any other way. And, in the end, i think honesty is always the best policy.

Hari- well done!. I felt the same way about mentioning dollars. I found Missy had a tremendous talent for absorbing a lot of info and placing it in a cohesive and coherent interview. jon

Hari- well done!. I felt the same way about mentioning dollars. I found Missy had a tremendous talent for absorbing a lot of info and placing it in a cohesive and coherent interview. jon

Hi Jon,

Yes, she did! I think she was "actually" interested. In fact, she wants to come to the next NYC get-together that we have, which I probably won't do until the next NY Comic-Con in February '07. And, she has a son who is into comics, and after our interview she told me she went to his room and found half the books I mentioned!

For everyone who wants a copy of Jon's article that appeared in Sept '03, I do now have a pdf version of that one. So email me and I'll send it.

Best,

Hari,

I found that interesting too as I had told you in an email. But i think that the average non collector is really only interested " What's in worth "? - This the whole Antique Roadshow popularity. It's fun to hear what riches someone has, even if you yourself have no interest in collecting it....

And I also mentioned that I wonder if we weren't enticing some speculators to come into the market thinking they are going to hit Megabucks. I mean, after CGC got off the ground and people started hearing what these books were/are selling for, it brought people in/back to the hobby.....Being that art is already a smaller market, so it has less people into it already, do you think it will drive the "on the fence" would be collectors to jump in ? - This is more of a question directed at the masses....

Hi Jon,

Yes, she did! I think she was "actually" interested. In fact, she wants to come to the next NYC get-together that we have, which I probably won't do until the next NY Comic-Con in February '07. And, she has a son who is into comics, and after our interview she told me she went to his room and found half the books I mentioned!

For everyone who wants a copy of Jon's article that appeared in Sept '03, I do now have a pdf version of that one. So email me and I'll send it.

Best,

Let me see if I've got this right,You're going to have her up to show her your etchings poke2.gif?GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) thumbsup2.gif

didn't see the interview, thought about chuck with the whole navajo art stuff, was it a different issue?

This is an interview that was just published; must be something different you're thinking about.

Nice interview Hari. You really are a great ambassador for the hobby -- plus, the pieces are just f--kin' incredible.

Hey Brian,

Thanks!

By the way, Gene, Dave and I missed you this weekend, as we were watching the WC Finals. Time for you to get your priorities straight and move to NYC! smile.gif