• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What is special about X-Men 266?

14 posts in this topic

Can someone help me out and tell me what is special about X-Men #266? I just noticed that this has sold 60+ copies in 9.6 on eBay in the last year and wondered why. I picked up the bulk of my collection back in the mid-70's so I'm not all that familiar with newer stuff.

Thanks

First full appearance of Gambit!

These are very common in HG because of the popularity of the new character when he came out. I remember 266 going straight up in price for several months, even a few years after it came out. It is my opinion that many people are selling them due to the fact that gambit was a no show in the X movies and I am not sure but have not heard of him showing up in the third (someone correct me if I'm wrong). So those who have multiples are trying to get what they can out of them before it becomes just another speed bump in the price of "modern" Uncanny X-Men. I welcome any and all rebutles, as I am not completely sure I am correct on these assumptions. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

JulianXJ

****Newbie Question Alert*****

How do you know id sold that many?

How does one get such information?

***End Newbie Question Alert*****

I've been gathering CGC auction info in a database for more than a year now. I use the info writing my weekly column in Comics Buyers Guide ('Eye on eBay'). (I also sell the database on my website - step over to www.thecomicsheet.com. wink.gif)

JC - though I agree with this being 1st Gambit - other sellers have used this same "1st app Gambit" as a selling point for an X-men annual - I forget the number now... would that be first Gambit Cameo? and maybe 266 is more accepted because Gambit is on the cover (in a tree) I think?

Gambit got some props in X2. When Mystique was accessing the computer in Stryker's layer his name was on the screen of known mutants. Gambit was always one of my favorite X-characters so I got a kick out of it.

JC - though I agree with this being 1st Gambit - other sellers have used this same "1st app Gambit" as a selling point for an X-men annual - I forget the number now... would that be first Gambit Cameo? and maybe 266 is more accepted because Gambit is on the cover (in a tree) I think?

Yeah, it's Annual 14 Darth... and it's a 5 pg appearance, which stretches boundaries of what is a cameo and what is a full appearance...

Overstreet now refers to the Annual as the 1st app... but the 266 stills sells faster and for more $...

Yeah, it's Annual 14 Darth... and it's a 5 pg appearance, which stretches boundaries of what is a cameo and what is a full appearance...

But I think X-Men 266 is his first full app., his first app. in Marvel timeline (didn't the Annual inadvertently beat 266 to the newstand post?) and his first cover app.

Well I have been stocking up on Annual #14 for awhile but people still love and cherish #266 as the 1st Full Gambit app with annual #14 mentioned as minor 1st app. I guess the first full story of a character has more meaningful than the actual 1st app with the help that he has the cover in the issue as well. A debate that will likely go on for years. Not many people paid attention to Annual #14 till a few years ago realizing it came out before issue #266. A interesting conversation piece to say the least I mean he is in 5 pages of the #14 thats a big cameo in my book. makepoint.gif

Gambit got some props in X2. When Mystique was accessing the computer in Stryker's layer his name was on the screen of known mutants. Gambit was always one of my favorite X-characters so I got a kick out of it.

Sam - in X-Men Mutant Academy, Gambit's got this hyper-combo where you link 2 of his 52 card pickup specials with a stick toss and it does some mad damage, almost instant kill. Tough to pull off tongue.gif but when you get it, it's fricking mayhem on screen!