• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Need Expert Advice

7 posts in this topic

I hope this post is acceptable in this forum. If not I appologize for the intrusion and will seek help through another venue.

I have an extensive Silver age comic collection stored in my home. I live in south Florida and recently had severe water infiltration into my home caused by the negligence of my General Contractor while adding a porch to the back of my house. There was standing water in the home for two days before the damage was discovered (we were on vacation while the work was being done). I am working with the GCs insurance company and have expressed my concern to them of the damage that the high humidity exposure could cause my entire collection. I’m not sure you are the right person to help me but I am looking for someone that could advise me of the potential damage to my collection as well as any process the collection could go through to stop any future damage. Also, there was a box of 150 Silver age books on the floor that were on the floor in direct contact with the water soaked carpet. Some of the books show obvious water damage to the edge of the books. Also, all of the backing boards in the box are wavy on the edge that was nearest the books. To an untrained eye some of the books may not appear damaged. I may need an expert to evaluate some of the books to document the damage. The box was valued at about $2500 based on a 2003 Overstreet (in my database). Can anyone recommend any experts that could assit me?

Well, first of all.. I am REALLY sorry to hear of your loss. It is a collectors worst nightmare next to fire. flowerred.gif

There are many things to consider here, first and foremost airing out your books. Getting them ALL out of their bags and boards they were in and going from there. Mildew/Moisture damage can be a very serious problem. Photos would help determine how extensive the damage is. If possible pick out a few books that represent how the books appear, and post them here. And or posting some group shots.If you have trouble posting pictures there are many here who can assist you with that.

You ARE in the right place to get help. From assessing your books value, and or potential loss, to helping you figure out insurance claims. More details are all that are needed to help you more.

thumbsup2.gif

Ze-

PS, Spike..you might want to turn on your PM's in your "My Home " area. Some people here might not want to post directly in this forum, but would be open to personal messages to offer advice.. Just a thought.

Very sorry to hear of your situation. How is your relationship with your insurance agent? Were your comics on your policy? Was it a collectibles policy? Find out from your agent exactly what info they need from you to file this claim. What form of reference do they need to accept as expert opinion? If you work closely with them they may be able to lead you to what you need in order to receive some compensation.

God Bless and I hope an insurance expert will offer some better help.

I went back and reread your post original post. It is the GC's insurance agent. I would still talk to your own insurance agent for advice and if necessary you may need to retain legal help for negotiation in reaching a settlement.

Ze-, thanks for your reply. The day following the discovery of the damage I had a service come in that specializes in emergency drying. They removed the carpet and effected baseboards and set up blowers and dehumidifiers for a 5 day period. I removed the books from the bags and boards for the books that were in contact with the wet floor hoping the drying process would halt any further damage to them (even though they are already irrevesibly damaged). Do you think I need to remove all the books in the collection from thier bags and backing boards that were on shelves away from the water? We're talking about a total collection in excess of 10,000 books (3600 Silver/Bronze age) a huge undertaking and I would be afraid to do more damage handling and leaving them unprotected (I have two young active sons). I was hoping to find a process like fogging the books with something that would halt further damage if it exists. If it's what I have to do, I'll do it. Thanks again for your comments.

A few more questions

Do you currently have several de humidifiers running in the room? If not do so right away. And floor fans as well.

Have you removed a sample selcetion from various spot on your shelves to inspect the books to see in any moisture damage is present? If you have already, and nothing seems amiss, then I would think it is safe to leave them be. But take the time to inspect a good 100-200 books from various spots before deciding all is well. For example, Are the ALL of the walls bone dry?..Is perhaps one spot worse then another, is a ceiling damp in one area versus another..etc

Sorry if I am stating the obvious. It's just there are alot of factors to take into account with problems like this.

Ze-

maxstuff, thanks for your reply.

I am working with my General Contractors isurance company. I haven't gotten to the stage of thier requirements for proof of damage to the collection, I was trying to be proactive. The adjuster they sent out took pictures of the box of Silver age books, the waviness of the backing boards that were with the books, and a sample of the water damage on the edge of one of the books. I sent a spreadsheet of my whole collection that I had compiled from a year or so ago as well as a seperate sheet for the expensive books in the box that the damage was obvious. I am trying to get settled into another home were I can do a detailed inventory.

Ze-, the company that did the emergency drying took moisture reading throughout the house after the 5 days and deemed all of the house except the master bedroom dry. They left 2 dehumidifiers and 2 fans to dry that room. The collection was in the opposite end of the house in a closet modified to support the weight of boxes with the Silver age boxes about a foot and a half off the floor. The closet walls and floors were tested for moisture on the first day and found to be dry (with the exception of one small region in the corner of the closet's carpet). The one box of Silver that was damaged was on the floor near my computer being rebagged in Mylites and each book scanned for my records. The Silver age collection was moved into the living room (the only room unscathed from the intrusion) and placed on tables 3 feet off the floor. I haven't gone through the boxes yet to take samples to inspect for damage, I was hoping to be in another house within a few days and move the whole collection there and do the inventory then. I think your suggestion is a good one and I should do a sampling examination now.

I'm definately a novice with respect to dealing with this situation so please don't worry about any obvious statements. I appreciate all your comments.