• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Favorite memories associated with comics

43 posts in this topic

Actually, one of my favorite memories was dragging a near full-set of Valiants to a show and blowing them off an insanely-speculated prices, and then funneling that cash into more HG Bronze.

Ah, them were the days.... It was like printing your own money using for paper and dimwits for ink.

Did I ever tell you about the time I sold off a ton of Valiants to some slack-jawed yokels and then they had the gall to chuckle at me buying some NM late-Silver and early-Bronze with the proceeds?

Man, them were the days... People bringing bags of money into shows and leaving with stacks of sure-fire investment Valiants...

Gotta be the Silver/Bronze Age collection I ran into about 3 years ago. Within a span of 3 - 4 months I bought almost every complete Silver and partial Bronze Age runs of just about every Marvel comic. Journey Into Mystery/Thor, Captain America, Iron Man, Captain Marvel, Sub-Mariner, Fantastic Four, Shield, Incredible Hulk, X-Men and a few DC runs like Green Lantern and Justice League. Most runs were just missing the early 60's stuff, like a lot of collections.

Left a lot of good stuff for the dealers. It really was a lot of fun looking through the piles.

JC -

You never fail to crack me up! Keep 'em coming brother, regardless of the flack you might take (although, something tells me, you could care less about that tongue.gif)....

But, back to the original topic.....I guess some of my favorite memories include the following:

-1st Back Issues: FF#57, #72, 76, and 84

-1st Comic Con Fight: With Mask creator Doug Mahnke over the price of a sketch (looking back, I was a little turd)

-1st Mail Order Subscription from Marvel: Peter Porker (go ahead and laugh!)

-1st "Lucky Speculator" Moves: Dumping 20 of issues each of New Mutants #100 and Hulk #377 at a show for over $200 in trade (the NM and Hulk cost me $.75 each). Ended up with a bunch of nice ASM's in the #100-200 range.

Awwwww....sweet memories!!!!! cloud9.gif

Chris

JC -

But, back to the original topic.....I guess some of my favorite memories include the following:

-1st Comic Con Fight: With Mask creator Doug Mahnke over the price of a sketch (looking back, I was a little turd)

Oh, Man, that *kills* me!!! First Comic Con fight!!!

I think mine was with Dan Brereton, who cut right in front of me when I was about to get Gene Colan to sign some books and then proceeded to talk for 10 minutes without taking a breath! Ahh, Dan. Ever the long-winded one!

Actually, one of my favorite memories was dragging a near full-set of Valiants to a show and blowing them off an insanely-speculated prices, and then funneling that cash into more HG Bronze.

I think Chuck stole Joe's ID!!!!!!!! Joe! Change that password FAST!

The first time I went to the San Diego comic con. I had money in my pocket and 4 days to do nothing but buy comics. I had stacks of comics in the room, piled high. I was sharing a hotel room with 3 other women. Each night, after conning all day and partying all night, we'd meet in the room to share experiences. One night, I'd gone back early and was sitting on the bed surrounded by comics, reading Lois Lane 29. They'd been watching the stacks rise and were teasing me. Needing to teach them the true joy that can only be found in a classic DC SA Lois Lane, I read the story aloud, with embellishments and comments from my listeners. We all started laughing so loudly, security had to come and shut us up. Which we dutifully did until Trish (who is a stunner, a colorist for DC, and able to swivel a guy's head at speeds the Flash would envy) started telling us about the 3 guys who had been hitting drunkenly on her at the bar, and who almost got into a fist fight over her. These guys were "respected names" in comics and the deterioration of their dialogue (nasty, ridiculous pick-up lines) and dignity when faced with a shot at a pretty girl was too much. We were all in hysterics again and got our second warning from hotel security.

The next day everyone seemed to know about the room with the 4 laughing women, but we refused to tell them what had been going on. We figured their fantasies had to be so much better than just "We were reading Lois Lane 29, then laughing at some drunks."

-- Joanna

The first time I went to the San Diego comic con. I had money in my pocket and 4 days to do nothing but buy comics. I had stacks of comics in the room, piled high. I was sharing a hotel room with 3 other women. Each night, after conning all day and partying all night, we'd meet in the room to share experiences. One night, I'd gone back early and was sitting on the bed surrounded by comics, reading Lois Lane 29. They'd been watching the stacks rise and were teasing me. Needing to teach them the true joy that can only be found in a classic DC SA Lois Lane, I read the story aloud, with embellishments and comments from my listeners. We all started laughing so loudly, security had to come and shut us up. Which we dutifully did until Trish (who is a stunner, a colorist for DC, and able to swivel a guy's head at speeds the Flash would envy) started telling us about the 3 guys who had been hitting drunkenly on her at the bar, and who almost got into a fist fight over her. These guys were "respected names" in comics and the deterioration of their dialogue (nasty, ridiculous pick-up lines) and dignity when faced with a shot at a pretty girl was too much. We were all in hysterics again and got our second warning from hotel security.

The next day everyone seemed to know about the room with the 4 laughing women, but we refused to tell them what had been going on. We figured their fantasies had to be so much better than just "We were reading Lois Lane 29, then laughing at some drunks."

-- Joanna

Classic Joanna innuendo - will have to add this to new favorite comic memory..

-- Joanna

OK - now THAT is a classic memory! grin.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

Ha-Haaaa!!!!

Joanna takes the post!

5-star bump to her & I can't top that one!

But I'll never forget the time that Stan Lee started flopping my buddy's Spidey #1 around like a wet rag when it was handed to him to be signed... Stan was waxing aloud..."Oh yeah... I remember this one! Sheesh! Has it been *that* long!!?!" My friend's eyes were bugging out...! Handed him a Fine copy & got back a VG- HA!

Which we dutifully did until Trish (who is a stunner, a colorist for DC

Joanna -

Are speaking of Trish Mulvihill? I won an auction from her a while back. Really friendly. Stunner, eh? Perhaps it's time for that "Chrisco" charm that everyone, epecially greggy, likes so much.....( 27_laughing.gif)

Chris

Ha-Haaaa!!!!

Joanna takes the post!

5-star bump to her & I can't top that one!

But I'll never forget the time that Stan Lee started flopping my buddy's Spidey #1 around like a wet rag when it was handed to him to be signed... Stan was waxing aloud..."Oh yeah... I remember this one! Sheesh! Has it been *that* long!!?!" My friend's eyes were bugging out...! Handed him a Fine copy & got back a VG- HA!

27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

893Funny-thumb.gif

Can't you just imagine Stan doing that? Wasn't his file copies all VG anyway?

'Uh, Stan, dude, that comic's...like... worth money!!!!"