• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BIG PURCHASE NEED ADVICE

22 posts in this topic

Hi ladies and gents...need some advice. I am about to buy a showcase 22 cgc 8.0 and was wondering whether paying $2700-2900 for it would be a good price. I know guide is $2950 for VF, but how is the market for this book. I really want it but don't want to over pay if I can find it for cheaper...the only problem is that there aren't that many more CGC copies out there for this gem. Oh yeah the book is unrestored...please advise. Thanks so much

893scratchchin-thumb.gifsumo.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I would be kind of weary buying a showcase #22 that hasn't ben graded....a 8.0 on that book graded is money in the bank for the seller...makes you wonder why he didn't submit it?

Jonny D.

The Nic Cage copy was an 8.5 and went for 4,500. I'd guess 500-750 of that price was based on the "Nic Cage" appeal. One sold in CGC 8.0 for 2,500 on 5/21, you should see if the buyer is the guy trying to sell it to you..

Brian

I would be kind of weary buying a showcase #22 that hasn't ben graded....a 8.0 on that book graded is money in the bank for the seller...makes you wonder why he didn't submit it?

Jonny D.

Errr...the poster said that it is a CGC 8.0 - Restored book! confused.gif

The Nic Cage copy was an 8.5 and went for 4,500. I'd guess 500-750 of that price was based on the "Nic Cage" appeal. One sold in CGC 8.0 for 2,500 on 5/21, you should see if the buyer is the guy trying to sell it to you..

Brian

what was the buyers name?

I dont think the Nic Cage had anything to do with the buyer's decision. At the time it was the best book in the census, and the only 8.5. .... and while its still early yet given the few DCs to be graded so far, it looked like a good buy by guide on a very tough, DC Silver key book. I saw that since then a 9.0 has shown up---so maybe it was a gamble that he lost.

I'm willing to waiger it did, people see that and think it should bring a slight premium. If you don't believe people pay huge premiums for stuff celebrities owned, then explain to me why his low-grade books of Luke Cage went for a couple hundred dollars?

Brian

Im saying that while you may be right about that, I dont think it was so in this case.

Plenty of people think the Nic Cage or Stan Lee thing is nonsense. I personally dont think a comic purchased and held for a few years by an actor deserves ANY sort of distinction at all! I think CGC erred by doing that. They should have just put a sticker on th eslab like Sotheby's used to just to keep track of that particular copy.

When his books change hands a few more times, will it matter at all that he EVER owned it???

Jonny D.

Huh? This is confusing. Who said that? I thought he said it was CGC 8.0 unrestored? confused.gif

Jonny D.

Huh? This is confusing. Who said that? I thought he said it was CGC 8.0 unrestored? confused.gif

Oops...my bad! Damn Canuck educational system! sumo.gif

Oops...my bad! Damn Canuck educational system!

What a '! 27_laughing.gif

Chris sumo.gif

Price on the Spectre has increased again! Mr..took me 3 schools to get to Maryland! 893whatthe.gif

H4H2%20-%20Front.JPG

Price on the Spectre has increased again!

D'oh! mad.gif

Mr..took me 3 schools to get to Maryland!

Get it right, '! Was accepted out of HS. Went to another UM school for 2 yrs., then Community College for semester to get grades back-up. Then UMD-College Park. Finished up at UM Satellite School.

Jeeze! I told you that once before! Can't you keep anything straight!???grin.gif

Chris

Price on the Spectre has increased again!

D'oh! mad.gif

Mr..took me 3 schools to get to Maryland!

Get it right, '! Was accepted out of HS. Went to another UM school for 2 yrs., then Community College for semester to get grades back-up. Then UMD-College Park. Finished up at UM Satellite School.

Jeeze! I told you that once before! Can't you keep anything straight!???grin.gif

Chris

Still took you 2 schools!......FOOL! sumo.gif

Im saying that while you may be right about that, I dont think it was so in this case.

Plenty of people think the Nic Cage or Stan Lee thing is nonsense. I personally dont think a comic purchased and held for a few years by an actor deserves ANY sort of distinction at all! I think CGC erred by doing that. They should have just put a sticker on th eslab like Sotheby's used to just to keep track of that particular copy.

When his books change hands a few more times, will it matter at all that he EVER owned it???

I agree about Nic Cage and disagree about Stan Lee. The Stan Lee mark means a lot more to me than Nic Cage, or even Edgar Church or Curator. They're not as high a grade...but on the pedigree books, it's the grade I care about, not the collector who bought it.

It may be "cool" or interesting that Stan Lee owned the copy of whatever-Man Comics, but I see no extra value dollar-wise to that distinction. Stan never collected his work, therefore any copy he may (or may not) have found lying around the house 40 years later isnt IMO any more valuable than any other copy of similar (low) grade. It has a certain cachet, but a VG is a VG. Perhaps if he had made notes inside in writing a followup story.....like the cosmic Aeroplane copies or the Pay Copy, they might be more important/valuable.

A pedigree connotes a certain size, completeness and high grade average condition to a collection that had been assembled and well taken care of. Its the high grade condition that leads to the higher values placed on comics fron that collection. To me not the same thing as low-grade books with a famous owner.