• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

As a seller, when do you leave feedback for a buyer???

51 posts in this topic

I stoped leaving feedback for sellers that don't leave it first. If the only factor that affects their feedback about me is what feedback I left them then screw 'em.

I don't think it makes sense for a seller to leave feedback until the transaction is complete. So as soon as I hear from you that you got the book and it's looks great, then it's time for me to leave feedback. Before that, I can't really comment on the transaction, because it's not over yet... We may still spend six weeks sending books and cash back and forth until the transaction is completed...

But then I don't believe in retaliatory negatives either... I have only had two transactions where we both left negatives for the other party. If I've been a crappy seller and the buyer has been great I have no problem with me getting a neg and them getting a positive... The idea of waiting to leave feedback so you can retaliate is asinine to me...

And between my various id's I have left 5700 feedback comments, and received just 3300 in return... so there are a lot of people out there who just don't leave feedback at all...

I think we disagree on the basic premise here. feedback is for payment IMO and anything else about the buyer can be added to the public record using response to feedback or post feedback comments immediately under initial feedback.

I leave feedback when I ship the book and delete the scan from my site. That way it is done and its over with. I really don't care anymore if I get feedback from buyers.

I think we disagree on the basic premise here. feedback is for payment IMO and anything else about the buyer can be added to the public record using response to feedback or post feedback comments immediately under initial feedback.

That is definitely where we disagree, but what you feel "feedback is for" is all up to individual choice, and there are no hard and fast rules.

You're not right, LH isn't right, you both simply differ in the way you choose to run your EBay transactions.

You're not right, LH isn't right

Whoa... you scared me there for a second, JC.... I thought you were going to agree with me, and I would have needed to rethink my entire position on the subject...

Whew... dodged a bullet there... tongue.gif

Isn't this true of the seller as well?

Yes it's true of the seller - leave it in the followup if you have already left a glowing positive feedback about their payment. But actually though I try to leave feedback once they have paid, it doesn't happen and people don't complain at all, so min my experience this is a moot point. WE, buyer and seller, both leave feedback when convenient. When I deal with trusted repeat customers or forum members I know, I leave positive feedback ASAP. On newbies, I just wait until they pay, and most of the time it even gets delayed to leaving it for them when I actually ship the item ( a day later in most cases).

If a buyer pays you on time, and you ship the package with Del Conf and Insurance, and the post office runs over the box with a truck... And your buyer starts emailing you expletives over the fact that the box has shown up ruined and it's all your fault. And you tell him that's insured and the Post Office will provide a refund. And he tells you he doesn't care about the refund, you're the biggest [!@#%^&^] in the world and he's gonna tell everyone he meets that you planned the whole thing just to screw him and sends you 10 emails a day for the next week complaining about it...

Then people would know about my feelings for him in my response to his negative feedback left for me. But he paid on time so the positive would probably be up there

Are you honestly telling me that as a seller, you think you should leave this guy positive feedback because he paid on time?

This seller does, brother. I can agree to disagree. I'm here for repeat business and customer service even if I go out of my way a bit now and then. I think it's karmic as well. I do this guy a solid now, it'll be returned down the road and it has already been a few times, in my view...

Isn't the seller "obligated to the rest of the ebay community to express his honest opinion about the buyer and share that publicly with the rest of the eBay community?"

I do so on these forums and in follow up comments.

The reason I get heated over this so much is, your logical, and mild mannered thoughtful response makes sense and would sway me from my stance. While the initial post was definitely more inflammatory and in my opinion a full fledge ebay seller terrorist, who would hold feedback hostage...there is not need for that attitude at all.

I leave feedback when I ship the book and delete the scan from my site. That way it is done and its over with. I really don't care anymore if I get feedback from buyers.

I also leave feedback when the book ships. I tell my buyers that when I leave feedback that means the product has shipped.

I would like to get positive feedback from them, but if I don't I will survive.

I think that there is definitely more than one way to skin a dead cat ( and cook it). Sellers all do it differently, so whatever works, works. Maybe not disclosing your feedback policy would be the smart thing to do as it would offend others that subscribe to a different feedback philosophy. Nut going back to the original post, there should be no "putting of the buyer in his place" since the poster put his policy out there for everyone to pick apart.

When I deal with trusted repeat customers or forum members I know, I leave positive feedback ASAP.

I do this as well... and have left positive feedback well before the transaction is complete. I just left murph a positive and I haven't even received his payment yet...

Yes it's true of the seller - leave it in the followup if you have already left a glowing positive feedback about their payment.

I'm sure you're aware, you can't leave a followup to a positive unless the bidder responds to it... You can reply in your own profile to his negative... But no seller will ever see he's a tool once you leave a positive for him.

The reason I get heated over this so much is, your logical, and mild mannered thoughtful response makes sense and would sway me from my stance.

Fourteen years of Catholic School, baby! ... You should see the five-page paper I wrote in 9th grade that traced every current problem in the world back to Hagar... I thought Sister Marie was going to have a seizure over that one...

I do this guy a solid now

I'm not going to respond to this one... I'm sure greggy, BOC, or Bugaboo will though... insane.gif

Fourteen years of Catholic School, baby! ... You should see the five-page paper I wrote in 9th grade that traced every current problem in the world back to Hagar... I thought Sister Marie was going to have a seizure over that one...

Isn't that the Witch on Voltron with the cat and always making up Robeasts?

Pin it always on the other woman...although from another vantage point she was doing Sarah a favor? Such a foreboding statement when taken in context with current events in the Middle East. Prophetic even ...My one memorable publication was a 2 page layout in the high school newspaper advocating my stance on premarital sex.

I'm sure you're aware, you can't leave a followup to a positive unless the bidder responds to it... You can reply in your own profile to his negative... But no seller will ever see he's a tool once you leave a positive for him.

More than aware of that, but I thought we were talking about protecting your reputation as a seller. So if he leaves a retaliatory neg, you may respond with a comment. If he leaves you a positive then it's a moot point. You can still respond to it if you feel the need to. As for informing the public, you've done your part either by word of mouth, sharing your experience on these forums, or leaving it in a comment in your own profile. If the guy pays on time, you should leave the positive feedback,because whose to say that since your personalities didn't mesh,other sellers who are more tolerant or coming from sililar vantage points may not have better success with this "problem buyer". You'd be doing the sellers a huge disservice by cutting off this potential revenue stream based on your failure to satisfy this particular prompt paying buyer. To me, on eBay, it's all about repeat deals and the money. But I have yet to see a prompt paying buyer who is such a huge pain that I feel the need to neg him. So what if they ask you to jump thru hoops to send an item. Do what you can and when that doesn't satisfy, then in your own conscience, you know you've done all you can. Let it go...no biggie...a neg is a neg. You can't please everyone. I have 3 negs - all retaliatory but even if that fact wasn't known, I have dealt with enough folks on and off eBay that I could actually give a darn if they return feedback or not. I'm not trying to be cardman or that other seller with over 400000 positive feedback rating, yet he's got more negatives than I have positives?

Pin it always on the other woman...although from another vantage point she was doing Sarah a favor?

I'm just glad the first response to my statement wasn't referencing a daily comic strip...

I have fond memories of Catholic school... especially all the late-night drinking and gambling with the Brothers who ran the place... If you're ever at a bar and a "Brother Brendan" asks if you want a friendly game of darts, run away.... far, far away.... tongue.gif

I just left murph a positive and I haven't even received his payment yet...

Sucker!! 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gifinsane.gifmakepoint.gif893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Hell...I send rickdogg his books before he ever sends payment.

Regarding the question, I have always left feedback once I receive payment. Never has been an exception. There was one fool who was being a dork by trying to convince me that a CGC 8.5 DD 81 should have been as bright white according to my scans. After explaining all the steps that I took (sending it to his work (non-confirmed address), sending the book right away, and basically telling him that it is unreasonable to expect a 30 year old VF+ to be bright white), he didn't respond againg and never left any feedback! sumo.gif

I just left a neg for Lighthouse saying that the book he sent me was a photocopied cover and wasn't even in the CGC holder. And the CGC holder held a 9.4 copy of Smurfs #3 that he stole from a certain Darthdiesel.

Brian

I just left a neg for Lighthouse saying that the book he sent me was a photocopied cover and wasn't even in the CGC holder. And the CGC holder held a 9.4 copy of Smurfs #3 that he stole from a certain Darthdiesel.

Geez... you mention Bugaboo in a guy's feedback profile and he goes all postal on you...

As soon as I get paid, I leave positive feedback.

I sort of understand your policy, but it could also be the policy of the buyer, and then no feedback would ever be left.

I used to leave feedback once paid but recently have been attacked with negative feedback form several eBay goons so I had to rethink my policy.

My current policy is one that a lot of sellers now have. I will leave feedback once a buyer does so and let's everyone know they have had a positive experience with me and everything with the product is okay by leaving me a postive feedback. The buyer is the one who has the last word on whether or not everything was done properly and if everything did not go properly then they simply contact the seller. This also will hopefully persuade hotheaded buyers from immediately leaving negatives and not contacting the seller to find out the who, what, why, and how the transaction went wrong and allow a seller a chance to fix a problem if and when one would ever occur. I always return postive feedback left for me but I need to be allowed to protect my feedback from people who just don't give a darn like joy bidders and ghost bidders who think they are having fun by destroying someone's reputation. makepoint.gif