• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

As a seller, when do you leave feedback for a buyer???

51 posts in this topic

I leave feedback after the buyer confirms receiving the goods & is satisfied. This usually means leaving feedback right after the seller leaves it first for me. Too many potential problems with my eBay transactions that cross the border (98%), if I leave feedback right after the client paid. goodevil.gif

First - this is a general reply.

As far as the idea I have seen here, that to a seller, the transaction is complete when the money arrives - I have to ask - so if the piece gets lost or damaged in the mail despite excellent packaging and very clear and waterproof addressing, does that mean the seller should say "I received the money. I left positive feedback. I have no more responsibility."? Or if the buyer reveals that restoration is present that was not disclosed due to the seller genuinely missing it, does that mean the seller's responsibility is still at and end since payment was received?

I may have missed it but I don't recall seeing anything about the fact that ebay feedback is "permanent" and one has to go through ridiculous manuevers to clear an unworthy negative (anyone remember when ebay allowed anyone to post feedback on anyone else whether they bought from them or not?) Ebay's current feedback policy is, in my opinion, a KEY factor in this argument. Feedback should be variable for a reasonable amount of time - say 30 days. This would allow both buyer and seller to make necessary adjustments as the "transaction" continues with post-pay and post-ship situations.

My own belief? I believe the seller should leave the feedback first. BUT I also believe the seller should get an email from the buyer saying either "I got the item and all is fine" or "I got the item and have a problem...here it is."

The concept of buying over the internet is SO far removed from being in a store with the opportunity to do a hands on examination and, hopefully, KNOW what you are getting that I really disagree with the idea that "if the person sends money then the transaction is completed."

To my mind, the "transaction" is completed when both parties have reached an understanding.

To be fair, the potential bidder was not completely out of line saying I would have bid on your XYZ auction, BUT because of your XYZ policy I decided to take a pass.

The OP's feedback policy does not need to be worded so it scares away potential bidders who are looking for a smooth transaction through which to buid up their feedback profile (I get newbies all the time who seem to pay so fast that you would almost think they paid before the end of the auction smile.giflaugh.gif, and they usually ask me if I can immediately leave them positive feedback). My feedback policy is such that you do not have to beg me for feedback, I get paid...you get positive feedback.

And before anyone goes off on how dumb my policy is because it opens the doors to negs that I cannot retaliate against, I have built up a feedback profile that is at 963 and counting in less than 19 months--one with NO negs or neutrals (and I should note that at least 85 percent of my feedback is from buyers of my merchandise).

Granted I tend not to leave people negs/neuts (yeah, yeah, I know people sometimes want to go off on how they hate sellers who do not leave negs/neutrals), but I do not plan on changing my FB policy...so do not bother to lecture me about how I am one of many sellers who contribute to feedback being useless in determining the good from the bad on ebay.

By the way Joe, the above comments were directed at EVERYONE , not just yourself (did not want you to feel I was trying to specifically give you a hard time).

povertyrow -

No one is saying that the seller's responsibilities end after they leave feedback.

If in fact there is a problem with the item then the seller is certainly supposed to make steps to repair the problem. If the item was not what the seller was expecting they should take the return (of course this depends on the nature of the problem). Buyer lived up to his end (he deserves his positive), seller failed so it's up to them to make proper steps to fix, that usually means a full refund when the item is returned. If the buyer chooses to neg after that, then he should get a comment like "yes I made a mistake but refund was given".

As far as damaged goods or lost items go, if the seller packed improperly they are responsible and the buyer should get a refund, but if they did pack properly and it still got damaged or if the package is lost... the seller should assist the buyer to a point, and that point depends on the method of shipping selected by the buyer (and offered to the buyer by the seller). In my mind, sellers should always offer the buyer two means of shipping - regular and insured.

If someone opts to take the cheapest shipping method available, one without a tracking number and insurance, and the item is lost or damaged, the fault is not the seller's but the postal service's, and since they will rarely do anything in those situations the seller at some point has to say that they can do no more (i.e. no refund). If the buyer leaves a neg, which is completely fair, then I would leave them a follow-up comment: "Buyer chose to ship uninsured w/o tracking number".

If insurance and tracking was selected then the item should be traceable and damages can be claimed from the post office and the seller should take steps to assist the buyer to get their money back. If they leave a neg, so be it, but again they will get a follow-up comment like: "Insurance paid, steps are being taken to get buyer's money back".

Kev

39 minutes ago, Vico Peißker said:

Hello Buyer / Buyer Mandate.

We want to inform that  we Can supply  Aviation Kerosene,Jet fuel (JP 54-A1,5), Diesel (Gas Oil) and Fuel Oil D2, D6 FOB Rotterdam, we also have procedures for CIF:

PRODUCT AND PRICE.

Russia D2 Gas Oil Gost 305-82 
Quantity: 50,000-150,000 Metric Tons.

JP54 Aviation Fuel Colonial Grade 54./Jet A1
Quantity: 500,000-2,000,000 Barrels.

D6 Virgin Fuel Oil 
Quantity: 400,000,000-800,000,000 Gallon.

FOB CI DIP AND PAY (ROTTERDAM)

TRANSACTION PROCEDURES CIF ASWP:

Serious buyers only,  my seller is ready to close this deal fast contact us below:

Email: neftegazoiltrading@yandex.ru OR neftegazoiltrading@yahoo.com

Thank You.
Vico Peißker.

You must really get bored.

2 hours ago, Vico Peißker said:

Hello Buyer / Buyer Mandate.

We want to inform that  we Can supply  Aviation Kerosene,Jet fuel (JP 54-A1,5), Diesel (Gas Oil) and Fuel Oil D2, D6 FOB Rotterdam, we also have procedures for CIF:

PRODUCT AND PRICE.

Russia D2 Gas Oil Gost 305-82 
Quantity: 50,000-150,000 Metric Tons.

JP54 Aviation Fuel Colonial Grade 54./Jet A1
Quantity: 500,000-2,000,000 Barrels.

D6 Virgin Fuel Oil 
Quantity: 400,000,000-800,000,000 Gallon.

FOB CI DIP AND PAY (ROTTERDAM)

TRANSACTION PROCEDURES CIF ASWP:

Serious buyers only,  my seller is ready to close this deal fast contact us below:

Email: neftegazoiltrading@yandex.ru OR neftegazoiltrading@yahoo.com

Thank You.
Vico Peißker.

MTG-ThreadNecromancer_3198.jpg

As soon as they pay, I put together the package and leave them a positive with a note stating when it will be put in the mail. No problems with this method after three years (knock on wood).

They did their job-- they paid for a purchase. If something comes up after this-- I will deal with it with additional comments to any negative or neutral feedback (or messages).