• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Trouble? Spider-man the Origin 1? - from CBG Express

22 posts in this topic

The first of the new Epic titles is Trouble #1 (of five), and

solicitations have revealed little of the storyline. It wasn’t until a retailer

meeting at Wizard World East that Marvel revealed that the series,

written by Mark Millar with art by Terry and Rachel Dodson, features two

teen couples. One of the couples is Richard and Mary. The other? Ben and

May.

Marvel President and COO Bill Jemas told retailers, “No one will ever

know whether it’s THIS Ben and May. You either really want it to be or

you really don’t want it to be. It’s perfectly consistent with that

scenario and was conceived with that scenario in mind. But it’s not

connected with Spider-Man overtly.”

Marvel got together with members of the media on June 6 to talk

Trouble.

“This story has a beginning, middle, and an end. Everybody who saw the

movie knows the name Uncle Ben and Aunt May and every Marvel fan knows

that Richard and Mary Parker are Peter Parker’s parents,” Jemas said.

“Right now, we don’t know if this is the origin of Spider-Man. We think

the final answer ought to come from the comic-book community. That is

not to say that we don’t WANT this to be considered the origin of

Spider-Man.

“I hope that Marvel readers will proud to call Trouble the origin of

Spider-Man.”

Trouble writer Mark Millar said, “I think what we are trying is to do

something new that appeals to everyone. When I first saw the covers, I

wasn’t sure what to make of them. But then I went into a bookstore and

saw that this is exactly what 12-year-old girls read.”

See a preview, copyright 2003 Marvel Characters Inc., of the first six

pages of Trouble at:

http://www.collect.com/interest/article.asp?id=7585

More news on the net on Trouble:

Friday 29th May 2003: Trouble Update:

Reports are circulating that MGM have picked up the rights to an upcoming comic book by Mark Millar and Terry Dodson called Trouble that will be published by Marvel/Epic.

That cover tells me two things.

It wont be spidermans parents because Bikinis and sunglasses like that were not available when May and Mary were younger..

If it is Peter Parkers Parents May & Mary Were "VERY GOOD CLOSE FRIENDS"

Now this tripe is yet one more reason why I do not buy new comics. After all, "new comics" is an oxymoron where Marvel's concerned, as they continue to to rehash, revamp and redo old stories anyway, and quite badly at that.

I'm just surprised Jeph "I can write a mini-series between Silver Age panels" Loeb ain't writing it.

It wont be spidermans parents because Bikinis and sunglasses like that were not available when May and Mary were younger..

not anymore, I guess...., cause If Ultimate Spider-man were the real Spidey going forward, Peter is 16 in 2003. And we all know that there were monokinis, things and nude beaches in 1987 or so when this story apparently takes place....

Was Aunt May EVER that hot?

No... I just can't go down that road. ELSEWORLDS STORY! Just like Origin.

Are you kidding? She's hot NOW! Gum me, Grandma! Nothing wrong with a little geriatric goosing now and then... wink.gif

Are you kidding? She's hot NOW! Gum me, Grandma! Nothing wrong with a little geriatric goosing now and then... wink.gif

Perv! 893naughty-thumb.gifblush.gif

Oh, *geeeeez*, Darth! I just coughed ice-water all over my desk & screen while reading this post!! Aunt May will never be the same after this thread... grin.gif

not anymore, I guess...., cause If Ultimate Spider-man were the real Spidey going forward, Peter is 16 in 2003. And we all know that there were monokinis, things and nude beaches in 1987 or so when this story apparently takes place....

Aunt May is like 70 or something.

Counting back from Present time She was probably born in 1933

She became a teen in the late forties early 50's

No way that could be her in Trouble.

You guys are forgetting about "Marvel Time" where through the magic of hack writing and lame excuses, anything can happen anywhere and at any time.

I remember this being brought up quite a bit in Byrne's lame-hass X-Men: Hidden Years series, where he inserted 1990's pop culture into a 1960's timeline, and just simply offered up the "Marvel Time" excuse when fans complained.

So basically, Aunt May could be shown as a teen watching The Matrix, then skipping home in her penny loafers to catch the Ed Sullivan Show, dodging a Model T as she crossed the road, and being accosted by a cave man at her front door.

So basically, Aunt May could be shown as a teen watching The Matrix, then skipping home in her penny loafers to catch the Ed Sullivan Show, dodging a Model T as she crossed the road, and being accosted by a cave man at her front door.

Plagiarist!

When did you steal my -script???

Was the Goth Princess distracted by your fiddling???

If I hear you've stolen my idea to make Tony Stark and Franklin Richards gay lovers, there will be hell to pay!

Aunt May is like 70 or something.

Counting back from Present time She was probably born in 1933

She became a teen in the late forties early 50's

Like time has ever meant anything to Marvel..... tongue.gif

Humm, heres the truth...

Marvel, via EPIC, decide to do a romance comic aimed at young girls.. Jemas realises its gonna bomb, so with his marketing team...

"Oh no, we won't sell a handfull of these becuase no one is interested in it, what should we do boss?

"Humm, let me think... I know, lets hint, but not confirm, that its Spider-man's origin, that way everyone will buy it and the dollars will roll in"

"Hint, boss?"

" Yes, hint, if this trick works and we sell truck loads of the book, we can hint more that it is Spidy's mom and pops, if it bombs, we can say that we never confirmed it was spidy's folks..."

"Brilliant boss, I'll start the presses now..."

----

Ever get the feeling you're being cheated? Having worked in marketing and design for the last 12 years, this stinks - this is a very sad attempt to get people to buy this book...

if they were gonna do a spidy 'origin' I am sure the Marvel marketing machine would be in overdrive, pushing this book big time six months before publish date, with adverts on every website, magazine and comic book they could get thier hands on...

Anyone else feel the same?

Anyone else feel the same?

I think it's pretty obvious this has absolutely nothing to do with Spidey's origin, is teen-oriented, and that Marvel did a bit of name-switching to heighten the appeal.

I also think there are going to be some mighty-irritated fanboys who buy this book expecting a Spidey-origin, and get Marvel's Creek.