• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Little help

10 posts in this topic

A new visitor to the site and love it, esp. b/c of the big giant scans -- awesome.

My request is I'm doing a documentary on Siegel and Shuster called LAST SON and am looking desperately for some scans of a select (ok, VERY select) group of comics/mags:

-The Trilogy of Humor pubs: Detective Dan: Secret Op, Detective Ace King, and Bob Scully (you know the ones)

-The Siegel/Shuster SCIENCE FICTION fanzines.

I know (believe me) that these are rarer than Crystal Pepsi but you are all my last best hope! No libraries or collections have them (that I have found), which leaves me individual collectors, who mostly just say no or don't respond to me. I absolutely understand that these things are put at risk by scanning or photography -- but if an unread comic is alone in a woods -- is it still a comic?

The good story I have about all this is of Jim Halperin, CEO of Heritage Comics. Not only did he agree to scan all the fanzines for me, but when one broke (in half!) during the scanning process, he just shrugged and said "it happens." I thought that was pretty cool -- not only does this guy give his comics money to charity but he has it all in perspective: paper, ink, staples. really nice guy.

So any help or leads would be very much appreciated. As far as I can tell, no reprints exist of these save the obvious one of the fanzine but I would be very happy to be proven wrong. Anyone who can help will of course get full credit -- I just want to see this stuff and help others see it too. Am I alone? I wouldn't think that it would diminish its value -- or does it? Or does it depend on what kind of value we're talking about?

Sorry to post a blatant request like this (hope its not agst. board policy) but also thought the whole topic of to scan or not scan the truly rare might make for an interesting discussion here. There are no (or very very tenuous) copyright issues here -- so why do we hold on so tight?

Thanks!

-Brad

http://www.lastson.greendoorfilms.com

Brad,

I'm happy to help. When you make a documentary about the creators of Superman, it helps all of us. It increases exposure to our world of comics, and helps our already robust and healthy hobby get even stronger. The 3 HUMOR comics are some of the rarest out there, so I am glad you are including them in your film, as they are so rarely seen. I will get scans to you shortly, and we all wish you well with your project. thumbsup2.gif

I applaud your willingness to help -- now lots and lots of people will be able to see inside these rare artifacts -- and who knows -- it might even inspire future readers and collectors! Either way, it spreads knowledge, and that is a great thing to do.

So who else is willing to step up? I know for a fact that people on this board have copies of the fanzine -- why not share with all of us? What's holding you back?

If you saw the Time-Warner Superman doc you know they just used the same old copies that everyone's already seen a million times. We can do better than that.

-Brad

(not the KrazyKat one)

Hey Brad,

What is your target audience for this documentary? How do you plan on it being distributed and seen? How do you get your funding, and is this a source of potential income for you when the project is finished? Your LAST SON film ads a little Hollywood to this forum......enlighten us please. I don't think I have read any other posts by a film maker....just fellow collectors.

Well, I'm about as far away from Hollywood as possible (Cleveland) but sure. As anyone who has ever done an indie film will tell you, its very hard to make money off it. I've been doing this for some years now -- found some investors (friends), we formed an LLC, and started work. When it's done, it will be entered in festivals and we'll see. But no, we don't expect to make money -- the goal of Last Son has always been as a scholarly contribution to the history of Superman. Partly because it hasn't been done before, but also to have at least a visual record of some of the landmarks that are disappearing here in Cleveland as we speak. I'm writing a book on it as well (I'm a teacher) but after uncovering so many visual things, it seemed to make sense as a documentary as well.

The standard response is, of course, well, it's all been done before. The shocking thing to me initially was that it absolutely hasn't. There is so much about Siegel and Shsuter (and Superman) that hasn't been reported on that its a topic really screaming for further explanation. At last count, I know of three other books that will be out in the next 2 years on them, not including Joanne Siegel's own book which may come out as well. What that says to me is that there's still a lot out there. As for my film, you are going to (hopefully soon) see some things -- a lot of things -- that have never been seen before. I'm not overstating this. And I think that's always good for knowing more about the medium. The argument for Action Comics #1 being the first superhero comic book is ongoing, but I don't think many people would argue that Superman is one of the primary reasons a board like this can even exist in 2006. Would all the other genres have survived without him? Hard to say.

My other goal has always been to be as complete as possible. That's why I've been reaching out to collectors -- if there are things out there I don't know about, I want to know now instead of hearing about it later: "Oh, those jerks totally missed BLANK." : ) That being said, though I've found some Superman scholars to be really protective of their stuff, I've found that the collectors are actually the ones who know the most (and are the most helpful). I've had great success so far in learning things and getting scans from people who really love this stuff. Mostly because I think collectors 'get' that larger sense of community -- even when you fight for books on eBay there's still a congeniality to it all, which I've found fascinating. That being said, still looking for some fanzine scans : )

So yeah, difficult to make money, not the purpose, etc., but am I optimistic? Definitely. I'm all for being practical but it is turning out really, really well and I'm very pleased with it so far (and it's almost done). So yeah, if anyone's been on the fence about sharing your stuff, don't hesitate. And I'm always willing to help with anything you might need, too.

Hope this helps -- but yeah if you or anyone else on the board is thinking about doing one of their own (I think one on just collecting would be great) let me know and I can give you some more information. With technology so accessible, it's very easy to do.

And if you want more info, check the website for trailers, articles, and podcasts.

-Brad

www.lastson.greendoorfilms.com

You might want to read my Big BangThoery of Comic Book history in Comic Book Marketplace 50 which is 12,000 words on Jerry Giegel, Joe Shuster, Julie Schwartz and Mort Weisiner as teen age fan boys circa 1929-1935 and origins of where Superman came from

Also, the Humor 1033 Superman cover you show on your web site is what i printed back up in 1970-71. Twice up from the original art i used to own and foolishly traded off back in 1971

ccontact me at Robert@BLBcomics.com