• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Having trouble emailing to aol accounts??? Undeliverable... Help?

22 posts in this topic

As of yesterday, I've had trouble replying, sending to, and even forwarding to AOL accounts? I get the same error message (below in blue). Sometimes I can start a new email and it works after several tries. I've also tried forwarding with mixed results. I'm using Netscape.

Anyone have any suggestions... this is getting on my nerves??

Your message cannot be delivered to the following recipients:

Recipient address: XXXXXXX@aol.com

Reason: Rejection greeting returned by server.

Diagnostic code: smtp;550-The IP address you're using to connect to AOL is either open to the f ( t r d h

Remote system: dns;mailin-02.mx.aol.com (TCP|172.20.1.6|45839|64.12.136.121|25) (The IP address you're using to connect to AOL is either open to the)

It's possibly getting returned because they have a spam filter on.

There is some key word or phrase in your subject line that hits the filter, then gets kicked back to you.

Try it with a different subject line.

Many were replies.. just adding "re:" in front of the previous subject.

I've tried many different Subjects.. usually they relate to a comics, CGC, 9.something, etc. normal stuff... what words could it possibly be looking to exclude and why would it work the third time sometimes or with a forward?

893frustrated.gif893frustrated.gif893frustrated.gif893frustrated.gif

Nope, it's definitely IP-related, as the story was making the rounds at work a week or so ago. I can't remember exactly what happened, but AOL did cut off some forms of email receipt and forwarding, and it was on the basis of IP's.

Some new email virus is making the rounds this week. They expected today (Friday) to be the worst. Some mail systems are getting swamped and others are cracking down more than usual on suspected spam. There was a story on it in the Wall Street Journal today.

Nope, it's definitely IP-related, as the story was making the rounds at work a week or so ago. I can't remember exactly what happened, but AOL did cut off some forms of email receipt and forwarding, and it was on the basis of IP's.

You could be caught up with a mail server that has been 'black-balled' because some other user on the server is spamming. Can you try sending from a different mail account (like try a yahoo or hotmail account) or even from a computer at a different location.

"On May 18th AOL Changed how they deal with incoming emails. They have decided that they would require all ISPs and hosting companies to meet their Email protocol standards before letting our email pass to their customers.

They did this to try to stop spam and we understand the problem with spam. We are also fighting this problem as well but AOL's actions has caused quite the cosmic stir! Call it "World Wide Web Collateral Damage" if you will, as many people have no control over their ISP's and how they have their servers set up."

Thanks for the help BTW

Hmmmm..

but how can a REPLY to an AOL email be spam? the AOL user sent an email first obviously???

What criteria is used to identify spam anyway. My subject lines were nothing unusual? Are the looking for numbers, $ symbols...what???

http://www.internetnews.com/IAR/print.php/2190331

"America Online's latest battle in the spam wars has sparked criticism from online groups who say its policy of blocking e-mail from dynamically-assigned IP addresses is creating too much collateral damage with legitimate e-mail relay users."

One day you chumps will come to understand that I am actually quite intelligent and a virtual storehouse of knowledge.

"America Online's latest battle in the spam wars has sparked criticism from online groups who say its policy of blocking e-mail from dynamically-assigned IP addresses is creating too much collateral damage with legitimate e-mail relay users."

One day you chumps will come to understand that I am actually quite intelligent and a virtual storehouse of knowledge.

Vince, that was NEVER in doubt. As much as you can get under my skin sometimes and bust my nuts unjustly... I always respected your knowledge on a wide range of topics and noticed your willingness to offer support and/or answers to those in need. I think often you're just overly confident and are expecting to be right about most everything. If you could loosen up a wee bit and not get caught up in the desire to debate as opposed to having a productive exchange, you'd be the perfect forumite in my view makepoint.gifstooges.gif

It is possible your email address host has been listed with MAPS RBL (Realtime Blacklist). Many email services subscribe to this - it essentially lists email domains that are considered "open" and have a history of spamming.

It is actually a good thing. Unfortunately I don;t have a direct link for you to look up your email provider - it is in work and am hopefully not gonna go back until Monday. But maybe Architect or a computer-wise member here can provide you with the link to plug in your email provider and see if ti is included.

I will PM Arch this in case he knows. He may not know a lot about collectibles but he seems to know the difference between F1 and F10! grin.gif

Thanks POV

It seems to be working if I create a new email and make the subject generic.

If I reply to an email it does not work??

If that is the case then the black hole is not impacting you! This is a preferable situation to be in!

OK - Joseph! Now seriously! You just quoted from a link! I mean seriously?

Well, ok - I guess a "virtual" storehouse of knowledge applies. But STILL!