• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Any 80's books have silver age potential

27 posts in this topic

I am personally amazed at how some of these recent books do in CGC 9.8 or better, Marc.

I am in a sense, then I am not in another.

To me, it is very difficult to get a modern in a 9.8. The way that Diamond packs them is horrible. They just toss 2 piles of new comics in a box with no corner packing at all. I would say on average about 10% of our weekly shipments are damaged. It is amazing how they just brush off the damages when it can easily be avoided. They just toss these 2 big boxes with 2 stacks with no packing into another box then ship it out. It weighs about 60 pounds and I have yet to have a week with no damages. Most of the time it is a crushed corner which crushes the inside box, which damages 50% of the books on that corner.

However, it is pretty easy to spot the 9.8 when you have say 30 copies of one book. Most if not all will show a similiar damage by production or packing. If you pick the best one you have a 50/50 shot at a 9.8 I think.

I guess it all depends on what you consider "silver age potential"... Will some 1980+ books be worth more than some Silver Age books in 20 years ? Yes, some already are...

But I'm pretty sure that no book from the last 25 years will ever even dent the top-10 most valuable Silver Age books.

Like Cal said

a Modern with some break-through character or a recall print error of 200 might be a $2,000 comic but that is going to be about all.

I think this is what it comes down to, a few moderns have the potential to reach 2K value when in uber high grade...but that's still less than say FF#1 in VG....

I also subscribe to the idea of the scarcity of some the books since 1998....

Some of the flagship titles are even difficult to find sometimes...

I seem to remember reading that late 1998 through to end 2000 was the absolute low-point for ASM sales-wise.

I pulled my Standard Catalog and issues #15 through to #21 have a max Diamond preorder of 52K.....

Up to #29 the numbers drop even more, with #28 having a mere 48.500 issues preordered....

The series was in deep-deep trouble back then and not a lot of people were buying it....

And there's always a buyer for ASM #430 - #441...lots of Spidey completionists out there that dropped out after the clone saga and only returned with the buzz around the JMS run or the 911 issue...

And this is Amazing Spider-man, one of the most collected titles out there..

There will be enough modern books out there that will command $50 - $100 in the various high grades, some even higher...but I think the real question is, who will buy them.... ?

There may be the random "temporary key" that comes out because of a superhero movie, but there will NEVER be another "hidden key" that has long-term demand.

That time is long past, and with an aging and declining Modern readership, there is not enough "new blood" to drive a totally new character's popularity to the heights necessary. Instead, we get retreads like Ultimate Spidey/X-Men/etc. and revamps, retcons and other BS with old SA and BA characters.

The late-80's, early-90's was the "big breakout period" for the remaining keys, and that's the big hurrah as far as comics go. What we have now is what we'll probably always have.

I guess it all depends on what you consider "silver age potential"... Will some 1980+ books be worth more than some Silver Age books in 20 years ? Yes, some already are...

But I'm pretty sure that no book from the last 25 years will ever even dent the top-10 most valuable Silver Age books.

I agree, this is probably the most confusing point when talking about "Silver Age potential".

"Potential"... in terms of total dollars, or percent increase?

Put $5,000 into one Silver Age key and it will probably become $10,000 someday.

Put $5,000 into 50 Modern/Copper/Bronze Age "keys" for $100 each...

and you only need them to rise to $200 to "equal" the Silver Age increase.

Growth from $100 to $200 is common...

especially in the 15 to 30 year 'what-was-a-new-key-almost-worthless-becomes-a-new-classic' period.

Growth from $5,000 to $10,000 usually takes a while, and it puts all 5,000 "eggs" in one basket.

It sounds like the value/"rarity" for moderns, in some cases, has more to do with the size of print runs (or lack thereof) than anything else. There are several modern issues that I'm trying to get for my full runs that are pricier than the surrounding issues - but not because anything special happens or because it's the first appearance of any character. The print run was small, making the issues harder to find. They're more expensive due to scarcity only, not storyline. That's a big difference that I'm seeing.