• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jive's Amazing $2 Gold, Silver, & Bronze Sale @ the August 20 Tampa Show

31 posts in this topic

Okay. The boxes are sorted. The van is packed. And I'm ready to sell some comics. If you're in Tampa, the show tomorrow is always worth the $5 admission, but will be especially worthwhile if you come by my table and check out da goods..

Swing on by and take a few (dozen) comics off my hands....

Peace. thumbsup2.gif

How was the show? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Jim

Very busy, and consequently, very good.

There was some concern that the 1st (and possibly last) Annual Orlando Comic Con that was being held in Orlando the same weekend would hurt attendance and sales, but the Tampa show outdid that one easily. Several people who attended both said the Orlando show was poorly orgainized with many more guests/artists (from independent publications no one has heard of) than actual dealers. Plus the steep $12 admission fee (when it was originally advertised as $10) probably left a bad taste in the mouth of some attendees.

Anyway, the Tampa show was good. Met up with fellow forumites King of Rulers, mcmiles, and (the banned) Luxxcorp, who is actually both a very nice guy in person and a fellow collector with ecclectic tastes in comics that I can likewise appreciate.

As for sales, I sold a number of key books at 50% off prices (Tomb of Dracula # 10, GSXM # 1, X-Men # 94 & 101, and a handful of others). I sold about a longbox and a half worth of $2 books (which exceeded my expectations greatly). In fact, I might as well have left the dollar books (which were mainly from the 80s-90s) at home, because the real interest was in the $2 12-centers, 15-centers, 20-centers, etc. Though I'm sure a few people got some great deals on books that guided for $10+ or more that I threw in the $2 boxes, I also sold A LOT of low to mid grade 70s drek that you normally find in fifty cent bins. People loved the $2 books, and I'm hoping to be able to restock by November's show.

The crammed $3 Magazine box that I brought was only a third full by the end of the show. One guy bought a huge stack of 50s-60s Mad magazines, and the graphic novels and TPBs also sold well.

Overall, I did very well at the show, and am looking forward to doing it again in November. My one regret is not picking up one of Nick Cardy's sketches while I had the chance.

Yup! The Tampa show was very good. It was nice seeing Jive Turkey and meeting Luxxcorp for the first time. Also, got to chat with Mark Haspel for a good while. The sales were pretty good. Didn't sell any HUGE books, but sold a couple $200-ish books. While I wanted to support the Orlando show in theory, I don't think I will (and am glad I didn't) in person. The guy who ran it is just not someone I want to help. I'll definetly be going to Tampa next time, as well as hopefully setting up my own booth at the SuperCon in Ft. Lauderdale in November. I decided against that show this coming weekend down there because it doesn't seem like anyone has heard of it.

Overall, it seems like the Tampa show is getting better. More special guests, a steady attendee rate and solid dealers.

I'll definetly be going to Tampa next time, as well as hopefully setting up my own booth at the SuperCon in Ft. Lauderdale in November.

Are you and Mike planning on set up together in Ft Lauderdale?

I think I'm going to go to that show as well. $100 for a table at a two day show seems very worthwhile. Maybe we can ask the promoter if he is able to put us all near one another. Safety in numbers and all. tongue.gif

Overall, it seems like the Tampa show is getting better. More special guests, a steady attendee rate and solid dealers.

Yes, and I'm even able to knock a few books off of my want list. I picked up some great (or not-so-great, depending on your point of view) late 80s/90s drek yesterday for a buck or less: Rocket Racoon # 1 & 2, Beavis & Butthead # 28 (final issue..HTF), Ren & Stimpy # 43 & 44 (ditto), & a slew of NM Watchmen issues. The creme de la creme of my modest purchases were the two Pictureframe Outlaw Kids I bought from Mike...really needed those!

Overall, the Tampa show is getting better and the quality of the material is getting on par with any mid-size regional show I've attended in the last 15 years. High grade material is becoming more prevalent, and bargain hunters looking for great deals under $5 do very well.

What I think Tim needs to do for next year though is get a bigger hall. Its getting packed in there!

The Orlando show was pretty much a waste. I drove up with Doug Schmell. Our commute time ONE WAY was about 2 1/2 hours and we weren't at the show more than 1 3/4 hours.

I was looking for original art, and there wasn't one SA/BA page with a character in it from Marvel or DC.

tonofbricks.gif

Oh well, Doug bought lunch.

acclaim.gif

I'll definetly be going to Tampa next time, as well as hopefully setting up my own booth at the SuperCon in Ft. Lauderdale in November.

Are you and Mike planning on set up together in Ft Lauderdale?

I think I'm going to go to that show as well. $100 for a table at a two day show seems very worthwhile. Maybe we can ask the promoter if he is able to put us all near one another. Safety in numbers and all. tongue.gif

I know I am going. Mike is still undecided. And its $100 for three days actually-- Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Big money show. That's what I call the right price though. The Orlando show was wanting $250 or something like that for just two days. 27_laughing.gif

Yup! The Tampa show was very good. It was nice seeing Jive Turkey and meeting Luxxcorp for the first time.

Holy carp! You met that whack job Luxx? What's he like? Does he talk to himself? Does he speak in rambling disjointed sentences? Does he hear voices? Was he drunk? (He's proud of his 4 DUIs). Did he take pictures of any underage women? (He likes that). Was he rubbing Charlton romance books on himself in public? Was he coherent at all?

Yup! The Tampa show was very good. It was nice seeing Jive Turkey and meeting Luxxcorp for the first time.

Holy carp! You met that whack job Luxx? What's he like? Does he talk to himself? Does he speak in rambling disjointed sentences? Does he hear voices? Was he drunk? (He's proud of his 4 DUIs). Did he take pictures of any underage women? (He likes that). Was he rubbing Charlton romance books on himself in public? Was he coherent at all?

Luxx came across as quite normal. Considering your "impression" of him, you might be disappointed with him were you to meet.