• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Which Mile High modern comics are selling for WAY over guide?

26 posts in this topic

The teaser in the latest Tales from the Database in CBG has a line at the end where Chuck writes that the next installment will be about modern comics (last 10 years of so I'd say based on the current commentary) that are priced significantly above guide at Mile High.

Anyone care to make some predictions about what is going to show up on the list? It could be interesting to make up a list and see how it compares with the list that Chuck highlights.

You can get a pretty good idea just based on his buy list...

There are several modern books on that list that he is paying over guide for...

But on a consistent basis, Chuck's prices on mainstream properties are substantially higher than guide. He can get $15 for Strawberry Shortcake all day long, because the people who buy those books from him are Strawberry Shortcake fans, not comic fans. Same with Sonic the Hedgehog, Care Bears, etc...

Most of those are older than 10 years though...

Good point. That, at least, is a selection of issues where his supply is low vs demand and/or his profit margin is high. Doesn't necessarily mean that his prices on them are way above guide though, but likely does contain some of the contenders.

I was recently looking through a year-old issue of CBG and noted that MH had a buying ad in it. However, it was a 2-page ad. The ads running in recent months have been pared down to only one page.

I sold him around $4,500 worth of stuff off those first couple of buy lists he had...

IIRC, it was something like 27 copies of UXM 1 at $18 each, 33 copies of USM 7 at $16 each, 40 copies of Green Arrow 1 at $10 each, plus a bunch of miscellaneous stuff... and he happily paid NM prices on books that would get 9.0...

I also sold him a ton of Crossgen #1's (Mystic, Meridian, Scion and whatnot) at $4 each when I could still get them from Crossgen for $1.48. I must have flipped him 250 issues of those...

Chuck pays in magic beans for Silver Age, but when there are Moderns he wants, he pays more than anyone... which makes sense given that's where his business really is...

I don't know if he'll mention these,

since he's usually sold out...

But here's a list of "Multiples of Overstreet" books

using sales for raw copies on Ebay vs. Overstreet prices.

http://www.valiantcomics.com/valiant/overstreetmultiples.asp

(Yes, they're all VALIANT, so don't click if you don't wanna know.) grin.gif

and he happily paid NM prices on books that would get 9.0...

That's interesting. I read most dealers' buy prices quoted for NM condition as the bait in a bait-and-switch ploy. Advertise for NM, but grade most below NM and pay out 50% or less of the advertised prices. I'm glad that wasn't the case for you.

Cool info.

I've seen in your Price Guide section where you've listed Mile High prices for many Valiants. Maybe with a little database magic you could easily add two more columns to this table and show the MH price and it's multiple of guide?

That's interesting. I read most dealers' buy prices quoted for NM condition as the bait in a bait-and-switch ploy.

That's because most are, and they always put that disclaimer in there about "all grading final, no returns", and then [!@#%^&^]-plumb some sap with VF and NM Silver and Gold.

Jesus H, ask any question, any question at all, and there's Valiantman trumpeting his long-dead line of overspeculated comics to the masses. 893frustrated.gif

What the hell does Joe_C know about moderns?

How many ya GOT Joe?

I've seen in your Price Guide section where you've listed Mile High prices for many Valiants. Maybe with a little database magic you could easily add two more columns to this table and show the MH price and it's multiple of guide?

I'll look into it, but I think Mile High is mostly "sold out" of those particular books.

That probably answers the question, "Why do these sell so high on Ebay?"

What the hell does Joe_C know about moderns?

How many ya GOT Joe?

More than you'd think, but like I've stated many times, I got sick of the post-Unity [!@#%^&^] and blew off my Valiants while the getting was good. The only Moderns I have right now are Marvel, and I'm likely standing pat on those.

The only Moderns I have right now are Marvel, and I'm likely standing pat on those.

Wow! That's impressive. A nice collection of comics from a company's third decade.

Lotsa good stuff happens in issue three-hundred-blah-blah-blah, huh?

It's a good thing there's none of that pesky continuity that would

cause anyone to need to read the first 25 years worth of books.

(Hey, maybe it'll be revealed that the first 25 years were just clones anyway!)

Wow! That's impressive. A nice collection of comics from a company's third decade.

At least that company can still say they're publishing comics in their third decade. More than can be said for Valiant....

Jim

At least that company can still say they're publishing comics in their third decade. More than can be said for Valiant,,,

But you forget that Valiants will be the speculator comics of 2005, thereby ensuring Valiantman a happy and prosperous retirement in Barbados.

Foolish Marvel collector.

At least that company can still say they're publishing comics in their third decade. More than can be said for Valiant....

True enough!

Of course, a "short life" means that it's possible to own the entire universe!

That's a huge advantage over "pick-and-choose" collecting for the big two.