• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Feedback Forum

46 posts in this topic

It is also my understanding that this seller was asked directly about the existence of a water stain on the BC of the book, and denied that there was one:

You are correct.

Wow.

I didn't know a 7.0 could have a water stain like that.

Sorry to hear about the 893censored-thumb.giffrustrated.gif B.

At least you got to start a thread this time. devil.gif

My thoughts are, if a seller advertises the book as unrestored, then they should be liable for refunding the purchase price, plus slab and or 3rd party detection fees if found to be restored.

Either way, it's going to be a bummer for one of the two parties and I just think it should be the bigger bummer for the party who misadvertised and misled the buyer.

I'd say one of the following would be acceptable:

1) seller buys back book and pays slabbing fee

1b) seller buys back book, splits the slabbing fee

2) seller and buyer agree to a partial refund & split the grading fee

3) seller works to make the situation right, unless buyer is asking for more than (1) or (2).

Sound fair? confused-smiley-013.gif

popcorn.gif

4) Seller shots him/herself......buyer lives with grief knowing he sent seller over the edge (not my favorite option). poke2.gif

My thoughts are, if a seller advertises the book as unrestored, then they should be liable for refunding the purchase price, plus slab and or 3rd party detection fees if found to be restored.

I agree with this. If you sell a book as unrestored, you are warranting such, which results in a premium (hopefully) paid by the buyer. As to grading fees, I'd cover the actual fees paid if the book is returned to me slabbed. Satisfied clients are the only way to sell books. grin.gif

My question is, assuming no scam was involved, what happens if the seller genuinely didn't know about the resto? confused-smiley-013.gif

I don't think anyone is saying he knew about. Keeping that in mind, go back and read the last dozen or so posts and you'll have some proposed answers to your question.

As jduran has already offered to refund the book price, this whole question comes down to whether sellers are liable for CGC grading fees.

If you buy a NM copy, agree with the grade and it comes back a CGC 9.0, then I don't believe so, but with restoration detection, it's more of a grey zone.

What does everyone else think.

I agree with what you said here Joe. If you get a book and are happy with the grade and send it in for grading and CGC gives it a lower grade then I just think it was an "Oh well" thing. I'm sure most of us at one time or another have owned a CGC book that we didn't agree with the grade given. But when it comes to a book coming back in a slab restored it is a grey area. Some people haven't been exposed to enough restored books to be able to pick up certain work. And when it comes to trimming we've seen CGC can't always tell that work has been done.

I also agree with Aces, I was actually the most surprised when I saw that CGC gave the book 7.0 with a water stain that big. 893whatthe.gif

Not to take sides, but if the glue touch is noticeable, if beyonder or his buddy had examined it, the slabbing fees would not have been incurred (?)

As for the grade... well, it's advertised as a 8.0 (with a wink wink that it could be better). The stain isn't disclosed when asked, true, but it did come back a 7.0, which is fairly close. and we don't know how much, if anything, CGC deducted for the writing on the inside of the book, which I guess it decided not to certify as a signature? Could be we're talking about half a grade...more? Do they not yellow lable restored books....(and unless the glue is sealing a tear or something, why is that resto any more than some crud on the book is resto?)

I just don't know about the slabbing fees in this scenario....(although if he returns it in a slab, what are we talking about, $25? Is that book worth $25 in a PLOD? It should be, don't know if it is though. If I'm getting back a book I can sell for the slab fee, yeah, sure, I'd refund)

The book was shipped directly from the seller to a fellow forum member to be signed & sealed. I've never held the book in hand while raw.

CGC doesn't downgrade for interior signatures.

I've never held the book in hand while raw.

That explains it.

I knew you wouldn't have missed those two things.

You got such a QP eye. thumbsup2.gif

The book was shipped directly from the seller to a fellow forum member to be signed & sealed. I've never held the book in hand while raw.

CGC doesn't downgrade for interior signatures.

There's no room for facts here. NO SIG SERIES FOR YOU!

Is the glue obvious?

I wonder if this came out of the same place I got a bunch of these late 60s/early 70s HOM/HOMsess...though mine are beaters, someone touched all the frigging spines up with glue or shelack or something

What it comes down to is this:

I paid $100 + shipping for a book that was described as being an 8.0/8.5

In return...I got a 7.0 restored book

All I asked of the seller is that they send me a partial refund in the amount that they felt this situation warranted.

That explains it.

What exactly does QP mean? blush.gif

QP = Quality of production. A more aesthetic thing. How well the cover is centered, how square it is cut, etc. You can have a miscut, offcenetered CGC 9.4 and a well cenetred well cut 9.4. The difference would be that one has good QP and the other does not.

That explains it.

What exactly does QP mean? blush.gif

QP = Quality of production. A more aesthetic thing. How well the cover is centered, how square it is cut, etc. You can have a miscut, offcenetered CGC 9.4 and a well cenetred well cut 9.4. The difference would be that one has good QP and the other does not.

Thank you POV. Clears that up for me.