• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How does CGC classify staple imprints on square bound mags?

3 posts in this topic

I have a couple dozen very high grade EERIE magazines, they would all grade 9.0 or higher, many would be 9.4 and some might be 9.6

The problem is that some of them have the imprint of the staple on the front cover. This is not really damage because this is the way the magazine was made, it is side effect of the manufacturing process. The cover lies against the staples of a square bound mag and gradually gets the imprint of the raised staple on the cover over time.

So how does CGC classify this? Let's say I have an EERIE mag that is a 9.6 except it has a faint impression on the cover from the staples lying underneath the cover. Is it still a 9.6? If not, then how far does it get knocked down?

I have a couple dozen very high grade EERIE magazines, they would all grade 9.0 or higher, many would be 9.4 and some might be 9.6

The problem is that some of them have the imprint of the staple on the front cover. This is not really damage because this is the way the magazine was made, it is side effect of the manufacturing process. The cover lies against the staples of a square bound mag and gradually gets the imprint of the raised staple on the cover over time.

So how does CGC classify this? Let's say I have an EERIE mag that is a 9.6 except it has a faint impression on the cover from the staples lying underneath the cover. Is it still a 9.6? If not, then how far does it get knocked down?

I doubt it would affect the grade at all at the 9.8 and below levels. As for 9.9, that's anyone's guess.