• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anybody going to Heroes con in Charlotte?

9 posts in this topic

I'm vaguely thinking about going to the Heroes con in Charlotte, NC next year (too broke to go next this coming weekend when it starts). Does anybody go to this show? I'm wondering how many dealers usually show up...looks like none of the big New York dealers go that far south for it.

I usually go...and will be going friday if anyone else will be there! I'm not really sure what to compare it to, but it's bigger than Megacon in Orlando and you can usually find some nice stuff. Harley sets up, Motor City used to come, but didn't last year and I don't think they'll be there this year either. Other dealers that usually attend:

Earl Shaw ("the dealer's dealer"!)

Chris Foss (Heroes and Dragons)

Dave (Schenkle sp?)

Crazy Ed

Basement Comix

Sincere Comix

etc

There are other regular dealers w/nice inventories that show up as well...just can't recall all the names/faces.

Do they still set up in the two rooms at the Convention Center? I went to the one they held in 1994 and was underwhelmed by the size of it. Granted...it was the first "major" convention since Miamicon in 1975(?) but it paled in comparison.

Jim

No, they moved into the convention center so now it's all under one big roof. It's bigger than Megacon in Orlando and the one Dragon Con I went to, but I've never been to SD, Chicago, Philly, etc.,. so don't know how it compares to the bigger shows.

Now, while Dragon Con was pretty much a bust for comics (although I did pick up a Startling Comics 49), the after hours activities were fun as heck - a "Betty Page Fashion" show and a great KISS cover band! But man, the vampires came out at night during that one...

Yeah, it had already moved to the convention center when I went.

Not trying to give the wrong impression....but I had been to mini-cons in Miami in the late 70s that were comparable and was surprised by the size of the con when I went. Had a good time though and got some great deals but I expected more from one of the "majors".

Jim

Hmmm...I'm not sure were talking about the same "convention center". It used to be in a place with maybe 15-ft ceilings, and was quite spread out (two rooms as you say). Nowadays, it's in one humongous room with like 50-foot ceilings, but the whole thing is in one "room".

I don't think it's one of the bigger cons around in any event...but like they say, it's not the size of the wand that matters, it's the magic that it possesses!

It was spread out in two rooms with low ceilings...must be an old convention center or another area of the center (it had definitely moved to the "convention center" as I had to try to find it).

And I agree about size not mattering....just had my expections too high. Again, I got some great deals and had a good time.

Also got to meet some pros such as Colleen Doran.....the hottest woman in comics! Too bad I had my wife and toddler in tow.....

Jim

The Heroes Con in the Queen City is where I cut my comic book con teeth so to speak. I have not been in many years but it used to be very good and a lot of fun - Perez was always there and the guest line up was always great. As for bigger dealers - Motor City was about the best and least easy to deal with. But many local characters would show. Earl Shaw who is a convention unto himself is always there - Earl is a good friend and I believe he still teaches school at Clarke Central in the Classic City - Athens GA. Earl once had a feud with the show promoter shelton drum who owns Heroes over table prices so Earl rented his own hotel in Charlotte the exact same weekend and had EarlCon! One huge room with just hundreds of Earl's long boxes! Another great dealer that is always there is Wes Tillander from Atlanta - the king of esoteric comic stuff. Has all the unusual comic book related stuff you could imagine and one of the funniest people I have ever met. Used to always try to get my table close to him just watch the show - he is kind of like a faithhealer with a wicked sense of humor. One of the funniest people to watch haggle - heard him tell a guy he would rip the book in half before he would sell at that price - and then he did rip the book in half right in front of all of us! I set up a couple of times there and made good money and had a good time. Another good dealer is from Rock Hill named Walkin willie and he always had great stuff. I may try to return next year - if I haven't spent all my money on ebay - or the Crash hasn't destroyed the fabric of reality. I magine if Investor Joe got his hands on those Infinity Gems?

i will be going friday but last year i was somewhat disapointed because of the lack of cgc comics.this is the only con i go to because i live in statesville wich is about 30 min from charlotte.i would love to go to some of the bigger ones but have not had a chance. confused.gif