• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I finally did it-pulled the trigger on this Incredible Hulk #1! Opinions please

73 posts in this topic

I read my Hulk #1 the other night, and something struck me . . . there are a few panels (not entire pages), that were decidedly drawn by Steve Ditko and not by Jack . . . 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I know Paul Reinman is credited by some sources as the inker . . . but Reinman's and Ditko's work is fairly distinct.

Am I out of my mind? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif Thoughts anyone?

I took a look through my Essentials copy of the Hulk and I really can't see Ditko's pencils in an obvious way.

There are some places where I suspect that Kirby's pencils were loose enough that Reinman had to put more of himself into the finished work (i.e., p.11).

The last panel on p.2 does have the 'feel' of Ditko. The inking of the small characters does resemble something that might be seen in the background of an early Spider-Man. The stance of General Ross is Ditko-like. But a similar panel on P.12 is clearly Kirby in the clothing folds of Banner, the soldiers and Betty Ross. (Though, having said this, the inking of the officer's pants in the panel does look like a Ditko brush.)

I'd be interested to hear which panels you suspect are Ditko. Are you referring to the pencils or the inks?

I read my Hulk #1 the other night, and something struck me . . . there are a few panels (not entire pages), that were decidedly drawn by Steve Ditko and not by Jack . . . 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I know Paul Reinman is credited by some sources as the inker . . . but Reinman's and Ditko's work is fairly distinct.

Am I out of my mind? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif Thoughts anyone?

I took a look through my Essentials copy of the Hulk and I really can't see Ditko's pencils in an obvious way.

There are some places where I suspect that Kirby's pencils were loose enough that Reinman had to put more of himself into the finished work (i.e., p.11).

The last panel on p.2 does have the 'feel' of Ditko. The inking of the small characters does resemble something that might be seen in the background of an early Spider-Man. The stance of General Ross is Ditko-like. But a similar panel on P.12 is clearly Kirby in the clothing folds of Banner, the soldiers and Betty Ross. (Though, having said this, the inking of the officer's pants in the panel does look like a Ditko brush.)

I'd be interested to hear which panels you suspect are Ditko. Are you referring to the pencils or the inks?

I'll take another look tonight and check your cites, and give you the panel cites that I found curious. I am referring to the pencils (but as you know the inks have a lot to do with the final appearance). What hit me was more or less the same thing - some of the small characters look right out of Ditko's Amazing Adult Fantasy run . . . Of course, it was a very small shop at the time, and they had deadlines to meet. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

My bad foreheadslap.gif I forgot that I started #2, and that's where I got the impression that Ditko doodled . . . check out p. 3 panels 3 and 7, p.4 panel 3 and p.9 panel 4 and LMK what you think. grin.gif

And now that I check GCD on #2 I see that Ditko is credited with the inks foreheadslap.gifforeheadslap.gif

1" piece of tape at ULFC / off-white to white . . . perhaps even white . . . 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

IH1ss.jpg

IH1bss.jpg

X-men1.jpg

Here's an Xmen #1 in 2.5 with no tape (No bc cover scan so if there were water damage there I would reconsider). I think they are about same grade so I'd guess 2.0 on the Hulk 1. I personally can't stand tape but it is clear and not the yellowing kind, plus the page quality really helps the book. So even if graded a 2.0 it would probably get full guide or even more as if it were a 2.5.

Here's an Xmen #1 in 2.5 with no tape (No bc cover scan so if there were water damage there I would reconsider). I think they are about same grade so I'd guess 2.0 on the Hulk 1. I personally can't stand tape but it is clear and not the yellowing kind, plus the page quality really helps the book. So even if graded a 2.0 it would probably get full guide or even more as if it were a 2.5.

With all due respect Ed . . . arriving at a grade by comparing scans, to the scans of half a book encased in plastic and then coming to a conclusion based on that is sheer folly . . . makepoint.gif

presents very nicely for grade with great unchipped edges and the tape can be removed either professionally or by yourself so i think that it doesn't have much bearing on the grade at all-best to remove it quickly because if the scan is accurate it hasn't left a residue yet!

presents very nicely for grade with great unchipped edges and the tape can be removed either professionally or by yourself so i think that it doesn't have much bearing on the grade at all-best to remove it quickly because if the scan is accurate it hasn't left a residue yet!

BTW- 893applaud-thumb.gif

1" piece of tape at ULFC / off-white to white . . . perhaps even white . . . 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

IH1ss.jpg

IH1bss.jpg

acclaim.gifacclaim.gifacclaim.gif

that book headbang.gifheadbang.gifheadbang.gif

I would prefer not to venture a guess for a grade, as it would technically be lower (due to tape) than the book deserves... i have said this before... many lower grade books deserve to be apreciated and read rather than being graded.. sumo.gif

Silver Age grading standards:

VG-NM (tape is not a defect)

Current grading standards:

Solid 2.5 - soft 3.0. Page quality a bonus - I can see 3.0 value on the book because of it. I would take that piece of tape over the highly visible water damage on that X-men #1.