• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

San Diego Forum Dinner Report

35 posts in this topic

The forum dinner can be best summed up for me in two simple words: Neal Adams. That's right, Mr. Neal Adams attended our forum dinner! I don't mean to take away from any of the other notable guests (i.e., Maggie Thompson, Michelle Nolan, Don Rosa!!!) But for me, getting to attend a small dinner with Neal Adams was the highlight of my year, let alone the convention.

On behalf of everyone who attended, I want to thank Bob and Steve for putting together such a great dinner!!! We had an open bar, great food, and a bunch of really great people. I finally got to meet some of the great people on this forum. And did I mention Neal Adams was there? Anyway, enough babbling and on to some pics!

cgc1.jpg

Mr. & Mrs. Adams

adams.jpg

cgc2.jpg

cgc3.jpg

cgc4.jpg

cgc5.jpg

cgc6.jpg

cgc7.jpg

cgc8.jpg

And my favorite...

robneal.jpg

Thanks for the report. Looks like a good time was had by all. I recognise some faces but not all of them. How about putting some names to those faces?

Oh and is it just me or has Neal gotten younger since i last saw him! Find anything out about his new Batman project? gossip.gif

Thanks for the report. Looks like a good time was had by all. I recognise some faces but not all of them. How about putting some names to those faces?

Actually, that's a good idea! thumbsup2.gif

We should have some kind of name that picture contest here, since it's always nice to put a picture to names that we are so used to on these boards.

So, any volumteers to start us off here?

the guy who looks like a mad professor is Don Rosa. Guy in first picture is Neal Adams and the guy in orange shirt with drink is STeve B. Ok easy part done

The forum dinner can be best summed up for me in two simple words: Neal Adams. That's right, Mr. Neal Adams attended our forum dinner! I don't mean to take away from any of the other notable guests (i.e., Maggie Thompson, Michelle Nolan, Don Rosa!!!) But for me, getting to attend a small dinner with Neal Adams was the highlight of my year, let alone the convention.

Rob;

Nothing against Neal Adams, but one of the most special Con dinners I was fortunate enough to attend was back in the 90's. This was the AACBC hosted dinner that featured all of the surviving members of the original DC gang from the 1930's as their special guests. hail.gif

I believe there were almost a dozen of these true pioneers of the industry including the likes of Vince Sullivan, Creig Flessel, Fred Guardineer, Jerry Robinson, Murphy Anderson, Martin Nodell, etc. along with other such notables as Will Eisner, Maggie Thompson, and the whole CBM gang. Especially nice when CBM passed out a commemorative edition of one of their magazines which facilitated getting all of the autographs from these legendary greats. thumbsup2.gif

Unfortuantely, I missed the impromptu preliminary event hosted by Fishler and Metro where they had an actual copy of Action Comics #1 and these guys discussed the part they had in the production of the book. Truly an once in a lifetime event, considering that a few of them had past away within the following year. frown.gif

cgc8.jpg

Who is the guy in the white shirt?

Some guy from Denmark. Dunno if he's a regular form member or not.

cgc8.jpg

Actually, his name is Rob, and he's from Norway. His buddy, on the far left, is Sven. Great guys. Rob is a board member, but doesn't post much. Maybe we'll get him to post in here, as he was very excited to get a copy of that picture. He collects Disney, and is a huge Don Rosa fan.

Here goes.......

adams.jpg

L-R: aardvark88 in the background, Mr. & Mrs. Neal Adams

cgc2.jpg

L-R: Tom Gordon, Arnold T. Blumberg, Kevin Boyd, colossuscomics

cgc3.jpg

L-R: bullet123, Steve Borock

cgc4.jpg

L-R: maxstuf, Ken of Bunky Brothers, maxstuf's friend, Apotheosis, Brian of Bunky Brothers

cgc5.jpg

L-R: heartened, (Original Art Forum Member, sorry I forgot your name), Joseph (OAFM)

cgc6.jpg

L-R: blazingbob & his better half, (Actor? Sorry I forgot your name)

cgc7.jpg

L-R: greggy, delekkerste, Jeffreykli, tth2, jimm94

cgc8.jpg

L-R: Sven (robyx's friend from Salzberg, Austria), Don Rosa's friend, Don Rosa, robyx from Norway

robneal.jpg

L-R: Rob, Neal Adams & in the background (?), esquirecomics

Very good!! 893applaud-thumb.gifthumbsup2.gif

Check out the pic with the Bunky Brothers in it, and notice Rob and Sven talking to Don Rosa in the background. I think they talked to him all night. Must have been great for them to come all the way from Norway to meet their idol. (I thought Sven said he was from Norway too.)

(The actor is Jonathan Mankuta. I only remember because I forced myself, so I could look him up on imdb.com.)

Oh and is it just me or has Neal gotten younger since i last saw him! Find anything out about his new Batman project? gossip.gif

Funny you ask...I asked him about it specifically (as, obviously, I am VERY interested in that project). He merely confirmed that he's signed a contract with DC to do Batman again. No details. He said, "I'd better do a good job on it." I told him I think he'll be fine. smile.gif

You're probably correct. I think Sven mentioned something about having a comics business somewhere in Salzberg? Is there another city in Norway called Salzberg or something sounding similar? Robyx is a big Duck's fan & a very high grade collector. Just my luck, more competition. Christo_pull_hair.gif

Funny you ask...I asked him about it specifically (as, obviously, I am VERY interested in that project). He merely confirmed that he's signed a contract with DC to do Batman again. No details. He said, "I'd better do a good job on it." I told him I think he'll be fine. smile.gif

Now THAT'S good news.GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) thumbsup2.gif

cgc8.jpg

Actually, his name is Rob, and he's from Norway. His buddy, on the far left, is Sven. Great guys. Rob is a board member, but doesn't post much. Maybe we'll get him to post in here, as he was very excited to get a copy of that picture. He collects Disney, and is a huge Don Rosa fan.

Correct, Rob posts as Robyx, although he's not a prolific poster. He's a big duck fan and a very big ultra-HG Marvel SA collector, although he's flown under the radar until now. Great guy, and I really enjoyed talking with him and Sven in person, after having exchanged quite a few PMs with Rob over the last 6 months or so.

cgc7.jpg

27_laughing.gif This picture cracks me up. We were joking that we were holding an impromptu first meeting of the Asian Chapter of the CGC Forum. Among dinner attendees, we were just missing Borg, sckao and Aardvark88 to make the Chapter complete. I guess Jim was attending as a proxy for Foolkiller who couldn't make the dinner! 27_laughing.gif

cgc7.jpg

27_laughing.gif This picture cracks me up. We were joking that we were holding an impromptu first meeting of the Asian Chapter of the CGC Forum. Among dinner attendees, we were just missing Borg, sckao and Aardvark88 to make the Chapter complete. I guess Jim was attending as a proxy for Foolkiller who couldn't make the dinner! 27_laughing.gif

Thanks for the report and ID'ing the pics -- it's nice to put faces with a number of the forumite names, including a few of the OA posters. thumbsup2.gif

I really do hope to make SD next year. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

cgc8.jpg

Correct, Rob posts as Robyx, although he's not a prolific poster. He's a big duck fan and a very big ultra-HG Marvel SA collector, although he's flown under the radar until now. Great guy, and I really enjoyed talking with him and Sven in person, after having exchanged quite a few PMs with Rob over the last 6 months or so.

did he just goose mr. rosa?