• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anybody collect Marvel Masterworks?

14 posts in this topic

Was thinking about buying a couple since it would be a good way to get reading copies of some real old comics. Now I have heard there are different editions so I am all confused as to which ones I should get. Also, I heard they go up in value so should I store them special if I buy them? I was just thinking about putting them up on a bookcase.

Buy the new ones being solicited right now. They will have added material that was left out of the older print runs and some have been recolored as well. I keep mine on a bookshelf in a room that has no direct sunlight. I also slip them into a plastic sleeve.

Buy the new ones... they're being remastered and some are being recolored... there are four new ones out already.

I love the Masterworks series... I used to have a complete set of the entire Masterworks run but sold the whole thing to maximize the amount of money some of those first editions go for... and now I can buy the new ones at a discount for about $35 a pop on Amzazon or probably get them from a local shop at a discount too...

The Masterworks rule!

there are three varieties of Masterworks so far...

The original releases, 1 thru 27 (or 28?). These had different colored marble-looking backrounds on the dust covers with a frams that looked like sculpted Marvel characters around a comic cover on the front. These releases sorta faded out and th eprint runs shrank. Some of these go for $200 and up on ebay now.

A few years ago, Marvel started releasing them again, but wth a much plainercover design, and the now universal large Marvel in red on black on the spines so they will stand out better in the trade book sections of bookstores.

And finally, just in the past few months, they have stepped up the releases but in both designs. The older looking (marble) ones now are "limited" and have the sculpted frame on the f/c in gold foil. I havent opened one but it was posted here that they have added material to the original printings. The "regular " versions have the "new" bland design I described before. I dont know if these are all "first printings" or not, or first, second an dthird...does anyone know?

The "first" printings are those Masterworks released years ago... original volumes 1-27 (ending with Avengers 21-30). There were other "first" printings done of the new volumes were the FF 51-60, Thor JIM 111-120, Daredevil 12-21, X-Men 21-32 and most recently Sub Mariner reprinting various TTA.

There are few that will command the big money:

Vol. 21 FF 31-40 can get anywhere between $150 and $250. Back a few years ago, I sold one for over $325. It's cooled considerably since then, but still valuable.

Vol. 16 Amazing Spider Man 31-40 $100-$200. This volume is still hovering around this price.

Vol. 23 Strange Tales starring Dr. Strange (110- i forget exactly 141 or so) gets around $75

And there are others, the John Byrne X-Men reprints are heating up in the originals.

But here's my theory... what used to drive the Masterworks up is that they were the only high quality Marvel reprints available. Now that they're being put back into print, what's the value on getting a second or third printing as opposed to a first printing. Why pay $200 for the same thing you can get for $35.

You can't get the new original cover editions through Amazon, only through a comic store retailer. They cost $60 a piece.

I like the new covers, I think they're actually better. Those are worth buying right now because you can get them cheaper ($35 if through Amazon)...

For instance, the Cap volume that just came out this past week had the following reprint material (TOS 59-81) reprinted with the covers (not in the original version) but not much else redone... some slight recoloring was done, but only modifications to fit the original versions. I liked it though and was pleased with it.

I don't recommend buying the originals unless you just can't wait... cause by 2004 sometime, they will ALL be back in print. There's about 3 a month coming out...

So far:

FF vol. 1 1-10

Incredible Hulk vol. 1 1-6

Captain America vol. 1 TOS 59-81

X-Men vol. 1 1-10

Coming soon:

Silver Surfer vol. 1 1-6

Amazing Spider Man vol. 1 1-10 Fantasy 15

and then more and more...

I'm thrilled Quesada put these back in print.

hey fool---I picked the new Hulk printing an dit was really 'thin". Thinner than Iremember the first time they came out. Do you know why? or am I just mis-remembering? is th enew paper stock thinner, like covers...seems the first time around it was on that "mando" stuff they loved so much.....

or am I crazy?

Yeah I got it too... it felt thinner to me at first (or maybe it just felt like I was picking up a small 96 page book instead of a Masterwork), but it reprints the same material... I noticed that the cover stock for the newer printings is definitely thinner, and the paper quality seemed a little different.

I think the paper was changed slightly to dull the day glow coloring present in so many of the first printings. But, that Hulk volume the first time around was super thin compared to the others.

thanx. Ive been picking up all the new Marvel h/c trades and some of the softcover ones. (theres just too many) and want to have first printings as some will undoubtedly go back to press a few times. Same with the DC Archives.

I feel sorry I didnt pick up the Essentials 1st pntgs as they came out...but until they redesigned them (much nicer!) I really though they were junk. Now that they are an ongoing 'title' I wish I had a full set of firsts..

But why do you want to own the first printings of the Archives or the Masterworks? To me, reprint material is reprint material. It's reprinting already original stuff... I know why somebody would want the original comic, but the first Masterworks?

I agree with the redisgned Essentials... they look nicer... but I actually picked up the Essentials because I like the whole idea of the artwork in black and white... some of it looks better to me.

The "first" Masterwork, Vol. 1 of the Amazing Spider Man, went to a 5th printing in its first series.

I don't like the softcovers by Barnes and Nobles though... those Masterworks have lower reproduction quality (noticeable to me), somewhat off coloring... but then again, for $12.95 you can't really complain i guess.

mostly because I see what has happened with the h/cs and Fireside reprints from the 70s. They have attained a collectibility that I never would have foreseen. So, while i may be wrong that these will follow the same pattern, my guess is that th efirst printings will have a value over time no matter how many times they are re-issued.

are the most recent printings the ones with the $13 softcover & $40(?) HC prices?

I saw a few of these at the comic stores, been meaning to pick a few of them up since i've never read many of the earlier issues.

The $13 softcover versions are exclusive versions offered through Barnes and Nobles only, they're not even available to comic shops. I would advise ordering through their website or through Amazon (because you get a discount) but also that the copies available at the stores appear to be beat up.

Additionally, the newest released "remastered" versions are $50 a piece with the old covers available as a variant exclusive to comic shops only for $60 a piece.

Currently, four remastered versions are available with two more this month:

FF Vol. 1

Cap vol. 1

Hulk vol. 1

X-Men vol. 1