• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The FEAR: trimming

43 posts in this topic

It's just sad that collectors are probably passing on books or making false assumptions when it could all be avoided by just spending an hour or so reviewing common printing defects and what they look like.

Points of view are what make the world go 'round...what's to say that the trimming camp is not right upon occasion...

I am sure they are, but that's usually through close scan comparisons.

While it LOOKS like it might have been messed with, you CANNOT TELL without the book in hand.

Many people CAN'T TELL even with the book in hand...

Exactly my point. thumbsup2.gif

While it LOOKS like it might have been messed with, you CANNOT TELL without the book in hand.

Many people CAN'T TELL even with the book in hand...

Exactly my point. thumbsup2.gif

Still looks trimmed though... tongue.gifpoke2.gif

hi.gif

It's just sad that collectors are probably passing on books or making false assumptions when it could all be avoided by just spending an hour or so reviewing common printing defects and what they look like.

Points of view are what make the world go 'round...what's to say that the trimming camp is not right upon occasion...

I'd be more concerned if collectors weren't skeptical & extra careful right now.

What ever happened to the guy in the trench coat anyway? confused-smiley-013.gif

I'm amazed that there has never been any effort given to identifying the Ewert trimmer.

Here's one where you can definitely tell. Just like Andy said, a really bad job will be obvious. I agree that on a slight, well-performed job, looking at a scan will rarely be conclusive.

Link because the scan is too big and I don't want to stretch the page

Yes, that would fall into the "really bad job" category! 893whatthe.gif Frayed corners don't usually end in razor sharp edges and edges don't usually change direction halfway!

Do you still own that? Did you get shafted out of a refund or something?

No, I bought it sight unseen from a reputable dealer. I opened the package and said "Aw, come on!" and then sent it back for a full refund.

27_laughing.gif

It's amazing what one little post can do.

I guess I should respond since my post was clearly the catalyst for this thread.

It wasn't the obvious production problems (I love books with plenty of "actio" !!) that made me think it could have been trimmed. The overall look of the right edge is what did it. And I don't think the trimming (if there was any actually done) was done recently.

Looking at the Jumbo, it doesn't jump out at me as being possibly trimmed. confused-smiley-013.gif

Bring the Indian Warriors to the Con so I can look at it in person and then tell you again that I think it was trimmed. poke2.gif

Trimming is a myth!

Er... or is that Werewolvery? tongue.gif

Werewolfery. poke2.gif

Actually the Jayman is right . . . like thievery, not thiefery sumo.gif27_laughing.gif

or just avoid the whole thing by calling it lycanthropy screwy.gif

Trimming is a myth!

Er... or is that Werewolvery? tongue.gif

Werewolfery. poke2.gif

Actually the Jayman is right . . . like thievery, not thiefery sumo.gif27_laughing.gif

I was referencing the Jumbo cover. makepoint.gif

Upon seeing this book earlier this evening I too concluded that it may be trimmed on the right edge... 893whatthe.gif

If you look at the graphic design then even if the book was trimmed correctly upon manufacture then there is no way that all the necessary info intended to be shown on the cover would all be present...the "N" from the word "Action" is totally gone yet the price circle is just barely making it fully onto the cover...thus it seems a good 3/32" is missing from the right edge...so I figure you have 3 theories as to the weird cut on this book:

[*]1 = The cover was horribly created by an inept graphics designer.

[*]2 = The cover was miscut at manufacture using the wrong width dimensions.

[*]3 = The book was trimmed by Jason Ewert.... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

In any case...it's a nice book whatever the circumstance... thumbsup2.gif

*Sigh* I guess this one is trimmed too...

The mad late-50s under $30 book trimmer strikes again!

faecetiousness aside, don't fall into the trap of thinking that expensive books or books with high investment potential are the only ones being trimmed.

it ain't the case. be'lee dat

tonofbricks.gif

faecetiousness aside, don't fall into the trap of thinking that expensive books or books with high investment potential are the only ones being trimmed.

it ain't the case. be'lee dat

tonofbricks.gif

I never said inexpensive books don't get trimmed. Christo_pull_hair.gif However, like restoration, trimming on low dollar books is going to be amateurish and easy to spot. Nobody is going to have a $30 book professionally restored, and nobody is going to have a $30 book "professionally" microtrimmed either. It isn't cost or time effective.

*cue the guy who will spend three hours searching the trimming threads to find a low dollar book that Ewert might have worked on*