• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is there a CGC price guide?

18 posts in this topic

Thanks guys, but I am not deserving of this praise on my own. I'm pretty current on bronze/modern prices from memory, BUT I must credit... GPAnalysis, The Comic Sheet and several other data oriented contacts I swap databases with.

I keep my own specific records too for other reasons, but without the databases and data services, I'm not all that. There are several on this board that have an equally solid handle of market values/sales.

I firmly believe in the advantage of having accurate, up to the moment data for both buying and selling. I recommend that all serious buyers and sellers choose one service or another that suits their needs... they pay for themselves over and over... you'd be surprised. I feel having data available (whether to use directly, or to back up value/sales statements I've made when they are challenged) has been a tremendous tool that has allowed me to save thousands of buckaroos... believe it. An educated buyer does not overpay often unless he wants too... and I do that too. 893blahblah.gif27_laughing.gif

Does that cost money to join?

Yes... all the services do. There's more services/choices coming too from Krause and Gemstone. GPA does offer a free trial since you asked, but I don't want to take advantage and promote it on this thread. If you check it out, you'll see. There are others on this board that have good products too...it really depends on what your needs are.

If you buy CGC books regularly, it's a good idea to know what's going on. I'm not saying this because I'm involved with the GPA service and that I've barter/purchased permanent ad-space on the GPA home page for my upcoming website (since that may be brought up why I'm pro-data)... I'm living proof that data is very useful.

a valid point... but certainly having as much (publicly verifiable*) data as possible is an advantage as opposed to not having it. If you're active and network a bit, you hear about many of the bigger private sales anyway (or, are involved in some of them).

Recently, after a conversation with Bob Storms (who brought up some excellent points)... I bounced a new concept off George Pantela (creator of GPA). I proposed creating a supplemental database (to GPA) which compiled private sales on (+$200/300? books) from a group of respected dealers who would send in the data in spreadsheets. Finding a way to choose the dealers has been an issue. It would be a sensitive undertaking. I suggested having the now 400+ GPA Membership nominate dealer candidates and then a vote to choose a pre-determined amount to be "Dealer GPAdvisors". The GPAdvisor program is already in motion in another form. I'm going to be a GPAdvisor for uhh? Bronze era books (although I may take just Marvel, and seek out a DC Advisor since there are many that know more about DC than I). 1-2 other members of this board may be GPAdvisors as well.

Anyway, back on topic. If all goes well, GPA will find a way to add this to the service... we're working on it.

*(publicaly verifiable).. I say this realizing that Ebay/Heritage sales can be inaccurate (for lack of a better word) in certain respects due to various factors. To the public though, for the most part, these public sales are generally accepted/respected as confirmed sales.

Another problem is that many private deals are done with cash and trade.

Although the data would be interesting it would highly inaccurate as a guide to the market as a whole.

I'm not trying to rain on someone's parade, I just don't see the point in a larger sense.

Although the data would be interesting it would highly inaccurate as a guide to the market as a whole.

I'm not trying to rain on someone's parade, I just don't see the point in a larger sense.

Seriously, it sounds like you would rather have absolutely zero information if you cannot get all the information. Or am I misreading you?

Seriously, it sounds like you would rather have absolutely zero information if you cannot get all the information. Or am I misreading you?

Put it this way....would you rather have the PRICE of your books somewhat "defined", or would you rather the "price" remain UNKNOWN?

I guess it depends on whether you are BUYING or SELLING.....or does it? confused.gif

Put it this way....would you rather have the PRICE of your books somewhat "defined", or would you rather the "price" remain UNKNOWN?

I guess it depends on whether you are BUYING or SELLING.....or does it? confused.gif

And yet another way to put it. If so many deals are done privately, apparantly enough to make published market data useless, then why not just go the private trade route for everything? Obviously the private trades are sufficiently important to negate any known public data.

I've signed up for the free trial on this. The concept is very good, but the search interface is far from intuitive. I like the drill-down data format and the display colors are nice (though why blue is positive while red is negative is kind of funky, positive should be black, I would think). There's lots of good data in there too, lots of detail that can be quite helpful.

But the response time is incredibly slow - but maybe that's because I'm signed up as a trial user.

I'm a little leery of going for the full package if the response time is going to be as slow as is has been for me. And I've been using it at various times during the day and night so it doesn't appear to be network traffic. It's all ASP, which, if it is running on a slow box (or heaven forfend on some unix box with ASP functionality) it's always going to be slow. But it is possible to throw enough memory/processors at IIS to get it up to a good speed.

And yet another way to put it. If so many deals are done privately, apparantly enough to make published market data useless, then why not just go the private trade route for everything? Obviously the private trades are sufficiently important to negate any known public data.

You just passed your "I'm A Dealer That Likes To Sell To People That Are Kept In The Dark" test didn't you. We're so proud of you Pov. You'll be a prominent high volume dealer in no time. insane.gifgrin.gif

You just passed your "I'm A Dealer That Likes To Sell To People That Are Kept In The Dark" test didn't you. We're so proud of you Pov. You'll be a prominent high volume dealer in no time.

I blush with pride!!!!! blush.gifwink.gif