• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGM ASM 122 - Bought As NM/M 9.8

30 posts in this topic

Picked up this ASM 122 raw on eBay a couple of weeks back and received it this morning. As you can see it's not close to being the NM/M 9.8 that was advised. Now i do believe the seller is honest and didn't go out to deceive. He usually sells antiques though and i couldn't find any feedback for comics when i bid. Now however there are a few from that round of auctions that state the comics were overgraded.

I will be sending this link to the seller. I have graded the book myself but i wanted neutral opinions in order that the seller has more understanding of current grading standards. The seller is familiar with the Overstreet terms but not the CGC equivalent so please use both (example NM/M is 9.8).

Defects are as follows. Multiple stress marks along the spine (12), a vertical colour breaking crease going down the top right of the book as well as "crumpling" between the Spider-Man's head and the Goblin's leg (doesn‘t show in scan). Otherwise it is a nice book. Thanks for your help guys.

asm122.jpg

asm122b.jpg

F/F+ 6.0/6.5

hard to see for sure from that scan, unfortunately, but the back cover alone takes it to the lower regions of F/VF territory by my thinking

for what it's worth, buying an ungraded CGC 9.8 is just asking for disappointment. What kind of book were you expecting? Just curious...

Thanks for the replies everyone. I have forwarded this thread to the seller and hope the issue will be resolved. I will keep you updated.

Matt, i wasn't expecting a NM/M comic. My honest expectation was around 9.2-9.4 based on the sellers feedback and listing. I have however realised that for every time you get lucky on eBay, you will be burned 10 times so i will now limit myself to the boards and CGC graded copies because i've honestly reached the end of my tether with eBay.

"Matt, i wasn't expecting a NM/M comic. My honest expectation was around 9.2-9.4 based on the sellers feedback and listing. I have however realised that for every time you get lucky on eBay, you will be burned 10 times so i will now limit myself to the boards and CGC graded copies because i've honestly reached the end of my tether with eBay. "

boy, I couldn't agree with THAT more!

for what it's worth, buying an ungraded CGC 9.8 is just asking for disappointment. What kind of book were you expecting? Just curious...

Unless you are buying it from me, of course. grin.gif

6.5 btw wink.gif

Matt,

I agree 100% with you. I no longer buy raw books on ebay unless I have 95% or greater confidence in the seller (which is a rarity). I do agree the book is in the 7.0/7.5 range and would immediately take it up with the seller.

I know it has been said many times on the board but anyone that knows anything about comics would have a key book like that graded before selling it raw. That should have been your first flag.

This is a book that is on my wish list in NM- or better.

I will PM you with a list of books tonight.

I agree with the grade of 7.0

Looks like a solid fine to me based on the scan.

As to the comments about buying comics on ebay: I have been burned just as often as I have been pleased. I now find Ebay is a great place to buy readers. Anything I purchase for investment/ collecting purposes I now only buy from Ebay sellers I have learned to trust via experience ( there are some out there ), or Board members.

I dont buy encapsulated books anymore.

Artboy99