• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What are the coolest full-size statues?

32 posts in this topic

The statue itself is mostly darker, but it was given that blue-ish finish to add effect with lighting.

And when I say "bootleg", I mean that it isn't licensed by Marvel. It is an original sculpt, and stands about 14-15".

I've seen a lot popping up on ebay from Mexico and South America for some reason. They high on sculptors down there, or just low on ethics?

I think that it's a combo of things. An artist in North America can find work. I'd have to imagine it is much more difficult to do that in South America, so you have to be more creative. I also think that they are less afraid of licensing/copyright infringment because of their location. I don't think it's unethical at all. If I had that kind of talent, and more limited opportunities, you bet I would be using it.

I think that it's a combo of things. An artist in North America can find work. I'd have to imagine it is much more difficult to do that in South America, so you have to be more creative. I also think that they are less afraid of licensing/copyright infringment because of their location. I don't think it's unethical at all. If I had that kind of talent, and more limited opportunities, you bet I would be using it.

Well you're in Canada...couldn't you hypothetically do it? US copyright law doesn't apply to your country, does it?

As far as I know a copyright is a copyright, regardless of where you are.

Actually, thinking back, I believe many countries respect each other's copyright and patent laws. And I remember reading an article a few years ago about the United Nations having some provisions for enforcing patent/trademark/copyrights in foregin countries. I've heard of the Chinese government helping Microsoft crack down on software piracy in their country.

I would imagine it'd be expensive to prosecute, though.

Yeah, it would probably have to be a pretty big operation to give Marvel the incentive to prosecute.

Either way, I encourage these Bootlegs especially with this kind of quality.

Yeah, it would probably have to be a pretty big operation to give Marvel the incentive to prosecute.

Either way, I encourage these Bootlegs especially with this kind of quality.

Couldn't Marvel sue an American seller a lot more easily if they tried to resell them? That's the only thing that makes me hesitate to buy them--potential hassle during resale, or in the worst case a lawsuit. I guess it's easy enough to sell a unique, quality statue below board, though.

Other than that, I encourage them too...like I said before, I can't figure out why Marvel holds onto their rights for statues like these so tightly. They've got companies creating action figures left and right...why not statues?

Couldn't Marvel sue an American seller a lot more easily if they tried to resell them? That's the only thing that makes me hesitate to buy them--potential hassle during resale, or in the worst case a lawsuit. I guess it's easy enough to sell a unique, quality statue below board, though.

What I don't understand is where is the line drawn? If I make a Spidey Painting, or even a pencil sketch, and sell it, isn't it the same thing as making these statues? People are always selling their own art on ebay, and no one seems to care.

The line is drawn wherever people think they're gonna get caught. Convention dealers like people who pay in cash because they can fail to report it on their taxes that way since there's no paper trail...in most states in America we're supposed to be reporting everything we buy via mail order to the state and pay sales tax on it but almost nobody does since it's hard to track transactions...people download songs and movies from Napster/Kazaa because they know there's too many people doing it for the copyright owners to chase it down.

I guess Marvel would really only go after somebody directly taking money away from them...and in the case of sketches at conventions or a few statues from Brazil, they're not losing much if anything.

The first Bowen Batman Statue. Batman looking over a building cornice in the shape of a gargoyle. The statue is numbered to about 5500 pieces, but about half of them were damaged upon shipping (ears and cape tips broken off).

The statue is so well done that you can see the detailed shape of Batmans body beneath the cape draped over his back.

The Spidey wall statue is my second favorite piece. Great detail and Spidey clinging to the wall is a classic pose.