• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WHY CAN'T PEOPLE SPELL?!?!?!?

30 posts in this topic

Don't even get me started on spelling these days, particularly on the Internet. Search through boards and note how many people use "to" and "too" incorrectly, "loose" and "lose," my all-time favorite "its" and "it's," and for some bizarre reason, "definately" instead of the correct "definitely" and other similar words where an "a" is used incorrectly in place of an "i" or "e."

Arnold, your just being picky. Its no big deal, and your definately being dum about this.

gossip.gifHad a little fun on the forum when I first came on board. I purposely miss-spelled Turock in my signature line while calling myself a Turock expert after I was able to find a missing issue # someone was looking for based on a storyline. I had most of the set, so it was a simple matter for me to find a cover that fit the story. Didn't take long. I was called an expert by a fellow member, so I used it in my signature line.

To this day, I am having trouble convincing people I do know and did know how to spell it, even back then. Fellow members here, bless their kind hearts, were trying to get me to understand that I was consistantly mis-spelling Turock without getting me embarrased or disenchanted because I was new.

Sorry guys, but watching you guys tip-toeing through this was kinda' fun. grin.gif

From the gman Boston Show thread:

shuley76: "I think it's not the fact that this book particualar book cost this and this book costs that and goerge saying "wow that's alot for those!""

shuley76 (again): "Since when do you know what my finaneses are? And since the LASt Hulk 4 9.2 went for 2800.00 16 years ago,anything more than 2800 is too much? Since when do you know anything about priceing of early Silver? How many 9.2/9.4 early silver age books have you bought? Your awesfully opinionated about a subject you know nothing about. Kevin"

I'll grant that "goerge" is a transposition error that can happen to any of us... and that in an effort to bust out a quick reply it's pretty easy to use "Your" by mistake... I'll even grant that, in a hurry, you could wind up with "particualar"...

But finaneses? priceing? awesfully?

I'm not trying to pick on Kevin; he made the fastest example for me to reference. But proper use of language is one of the first things people evaluate when they meet you in person, and it's one of the few things they CAN evaluate when talking online. Even the guy who pumps my gas doesn't use the word "awesfully."

Whether you are communicating with a supervisor, a co-worker, a subordinate, a customer, a client, a prospective mate, or a coinee who needs punking, your command of the language is critical to your success. Language is what separates us from lower primates. And people can talk all they want about the need for speed in an instant-message-world, but I don't see the degradation of language as a good thing. The monkeys are catching up, and it's our own fault.

Many people will hide behind the rationale that English, ever an evolving language, is simply adapting to a new generation of usage online. I say it's being murdered by people who don't take the time to learn the rules before they break them. But then I'm a 31-year old fuddy duddy according to those people.

Damn whipper-snappers...

Blame it all on Ebonics...when you have 9-11 year old kids on TV, spouting off "In the HIZouse, off the hook, in the HEAZY FOSHEAZY" to express themselves, makes me want to "bust out" a can of Campbell's Alphabet Soup and clock 'em all across the head, in the hopes that they might yet glean some grammatical knowledge from the physical impact with letters...better yet just take a Post Alpha-bits box and jam it over their head and make them walk around until they speak properly...

This country is in dire need of a GRammar Gestapo....

{{{{to all newbies....ninanina did not know that Turok was spelled incorrectly}}}}}

Sorry buddy...not gonna let you live that one down.... laughing-smiley-002.gif

makepoint.gif

Ya see. That's exactly the kinda thing I'm talkin' about.

grin.gif