• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DOOM & GLOOM

25 posts in this topic

Hey Hogations, here's the line up for the November show so far:

Confirmed:

Jim Starlin - I think he was here last in the seventies

Paul Gulacy

Dan Brereton

Steve Rude

Kaare Andrews

Ian Boothby

Paul Rivoche

J. Bone

J. Torres

Andy Lee

Dave Ross

Vatche Mavlian

Brian Rood

Stuart Sayger

Kagan McLeod

R.G. Taylor

Rob Walton

Walter Dickinson

Ron Kasman

Alex Perkins

Expressed Interested but schedule permitting/confirmation pending:

Phil Jimenez

Mike Kaluta

Darwyn Cooke

UDON Studios

Cameron Stewart

Paul Jenkins

Bruce Jones

Dale Keown

Steve Skroce

Pia Guerra

David Mack

Darick Robertson

Pat Lee/Dreamwave Studios

Ty Templeton

CGC is going to be there..

We'll have more independant creators as well. Information is being sent to them this week. Unfortunately Dave Sim says he'll be too busy trying to finish Cerebus at that time but we might be able to get him to drop by on his day off.

Our website should be up and running soon. If you go to www.paradisecomics.com there is a popup with the flyer we prepared for Wizard World East. We are booking tables quickly, so any interested dealers who we haven't spoken to yet should contact the store e-mail via the website and we can forward table costs and a floor plan to you.

And we've already got some great names lined up for the spring 2004 show. Date and list will be available by the end of the summer.

Kev

CGC

Confirmed:

Jim Starlin

Mike Kaluta - NEW

Bill Sienkiewicz - NEW

Paul Gulacy

Phil Jimenez - NEW

Dan Brereton

Steve Rude

Darick Robertson - NEW

Kaare Andrews

Ian Boothby

Paul Rivoche

Cameron Stewart - NEW

J. Bone

J. Torres

Andy Lee

Dave Ross

Vatche Mavlian

Brian Rood

Kagan McLeod

R.G. Taylor

Rob Walton

Walter Dickinson

Ron Kasman

Alex Perkins

Expressed Interested but schedule permitting/confirmation pending:

Tony Harris - NEW

Terry Austin - NEW

Marshall Rogers - NEW

Brian Michael Bendis - NEW

David Finch - NEW

Stuart Sayger

Darwyn Cooke

UDON Studios

Paul Jenkins

Bruce Jones

Dale Keown

Steve Skroce

Pia Guerra

David Mack

Pat Lee/Dreamwave Studios

Ty Templeton

www.torontocomicon.com

Kev

Hmmmmmmmm, well two things really. All the doom and gloomers, I mean the perpetual ones, are wishing for the demise of the industry so they can snap up all the books they dont have now. Of course I will be beating them back and trying to get the books myself. goodevil.gif

Second, I've heard alot of moaning about the modern comics as well and there are some points on either side. On the mad.gif side, they are too expensive, about $4 a book or more in Canada is really pricing them out of reach for most kids. I had a friend of mine dispute this saying what about video games they are expensive and kids still buy and play them. My rebuttle, you can rent them for a couple of bucks, they depreciate, comics will usually increase in value. And finally I remember when Atari came out when I was a kid and it was around $250. Thats still thesame price for most video game systems now and yet comics have gone up 1000%. What the publishers must understand is that they need to get new customers earlier and they may have priced themsleves out of the age bracket that will acomplish this.

On the smile.gif side there are some really great new books out there with amazing art and stories. Anyone who say new books suck should read 100 bullets cloud9.gif I have to say that the computerization of the art, or the degree that its been taken to now has left me thinking that we are losing something in the process. This was really impressed upon me through the last 10 issues of Uncanny X-men, cant remember the artist but it was like a video game gone wrong.

In short

Future lies with kids 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

New comics need to come down, the 10cent, 9cent thing was nice to see

There are great talents still in the industry

The hobby infighting will always be there though it detracts as much as it informs

I'm happy to be back, but I still think someone is more likely to return to something they enjoyed as a kid than start something like collecting comics in their 20s or later confused.gif