• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT : Any Knowledgable People

33 posts in this topic

okay, when you say "won't open up" on the wife's system, what does that mean? does it mean you can't get the program to even come up at all, or does it mean that you get that "Page Not Found" error message when IE can't get a connection?

what type of router did you buy? i got a Linksys a couple of weeks ago and it took about a half hour to install, which included the time to read the manual. did you connect the router to the laptop before installing the software? 893whatthe.gif i hope not, because you are screwed if you did...

last thing; most wireless routers will still allow you to make a hardline connection to a computer, like any other router. i assume that's what you did with your wife's system

I bought the same router, and no I didnt connect anything to the laptop. Laptop has a build in wireless connection card.

I plugged the router into my wifes old computer and had no success and now even though I unplugged the router from her PC, it will not access the internet. It just reads page not found.

Hmm, let's see if I can help:

What sort of internet connection do you use, first and foremost?

If it is DSL, I presume you've tried running your DSL line into the router and then the router cable directly into your wife's PC, right? This is the first step. If you can't access the internet this way, you need to check out the router configuration (specifically, to make sure the drivers are installed correctly).

My wireless router came with an install/config disc...I assume your's did as well? It is most likely compatible with WIn98, so that shouldn't be the problem. You can upgrade to XP if you want (as it's a better OS) but, heed the others' warnings when they say to make sure it will run well on your PC. That means at least 733 MHz processor and at least 256 megs of RAM. Plus, I'd say at least a 15-20 Gig HD, as WinXP actually takes a good bit more HD space than Win98.

Once you can gain access to the net through a direct connection from the router to your wife's computer you can begin to work on setting up the wireless connection with your laptop. But let's make sure you can get access to the net first.

I bought the same router, and no I didnt connect anything to the laptop. Laptop has a build in wireless connection card.

I plugged the router into my wifes old computer and had no success and now even though I unplugged the router from her PC, it will not access the internet. It just reads page not found.

when i installed our wireless router, i connected cables to my wife's laptop - even though it had a built-in card - and my PC, which did not. this is what the manual suggested.

i installed the software on my PC, set up the domain and password. disconnected the wife's laptop, made sure it found the appropriate network, set up the password for her wireless card and voila, she was off and running.

i think the actual port you plug the cable in to is important. if your wife's puter was plugged into port 4 on your old router, it needs to be in port 4 for the new one. but i'm not 100% positive about this

Nikos, windows 98 is an old OS...best if you connect the router to an xp pc/notebook and have your wife's windows98 surf the internet via wireless wifi. either a card or a built in wifi in the laptop...that way you just have to update the driver of a wireless wifi. you can buy a wireless wifi usb for $40 i think.

i think the actual port you plug the cable in to is important. if your wife's puter was plugged into port 4 on your old router, it needs to be in port 4 for the new one. but i'm not 100% positive about this

The computer doesn’t care what port on the router it's plugged into, all it wants is an IP address, once it gets that from the router all is good.

Nikos, if you want you can PM me and I'll send you my phone number and walk you through getting it set up tonight. You can also call the tech support for your router.

With Windows 98 it can be more difficult then Win2k or XP. If it's an older computer I'd recommend Win2k over XP for performance reasons.

The computer doesn’t care what port on the router it's plugged into, all it wants is an IP address, once it gets that from the router all is good.

Nikos, if you want you can PM me and I'll send you my phone number and walk you through getting it set up tonight. You can also call the tech support for your router.

With Windows 98 it can be more difficult then Win2k or XP. If it's an older computer I'd recommend Win2k over XP for performance reasons.

I agree with the Win2k over WinXP for an older PC. However, there shouldn't be an issue with Win98 being incompatible with his wireless router.

It sounded as if Nikos could not connect to the internet when he tried a direct connection from the router to the PC. That sounds like the router was not properly configured to the PC. confused-smiley-013.gif

If your near a local college and know a student there have them buy you the student version of xp or 2x as it will only cost you $14 or so. Much less then the retail box and is the same thing once you do all the updates.

I agree with the Win2k over WinXP for an older PC. However, there shouldn't be an issue with Win98 being incompatible with his wireless router.

It sounded as if Nikos could not connect to the internet when he tried a direct connection from the router to the PC. That sounds like the router was not properly configured to the PC. confused-smiley-013.gif

thumbsup2.gif

Windows 98 seems to need a little more "hand holding" then 2k or XP, but it should still work just fine.

If your near a local college and know a student there have them buy you the student version of xp or 2x as it will only cost you $14 or so. Much less then the retail box and is the same thing once you do all the updates.

I wish. Some schools give it to you for free (rare), some offer a decent discount (somewhat rare), while others offer a 10-15% discount (common and terrible). frown.gif

893whatthe.gif

and i paid $90 for my copy of xp home. Microsoft sumo.gif

893whatthe.gif

and i paid $90 for my copy of xp home. Microsoft sumo.gif

confused-smiley-013.gif I paid like $80 for my copy through my school.

Thanks OG thumbsup2.gif,

One of my customers is coming over tonight to straighten it out 893crossfingers-thumb.gif if he cant get it done I will PM you tonight.

I figure between you, Ze-Man and my buddy it should be back to normal 27_laughing.gif