• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Re:VAST comic book collection now available at my EBAY store for SERIOUS buyers

70 posts in this topic

Hey a few months on here you will be one of the guys posting those "look what he is selling for $?K" post where someone puts up a Venom Lethal Protector # 1 (RED issue) and puts it up as RARE and for $500. Hard to find RARE issue and "Wait until the movie comes out, it will be worth double. Dont miss out on this once in a lifetime auction. Good luck bidding .

Dear spidrvacc;

Thank you for all your advice-I guess I'm just so frustrated. Maybe I waited too long to sell them. If you ask me-the CGC ruined the investment value of comics and gave a permanent advantage to slabbers.The rich once again get richer and the rest of us bend over with vaseline.

Sincerely,

Andrew L.

there is thruth to that . look at a CGC copy of Hulk 340. in the 9.4 iss grades and up.I see it on Ebay for $30 to $50. it is a blanket statement but kinda true. There is a mad rush to get 9.6 issues. drives me nuts. I hate the CGC grading aspect. Comics were better off when they were NM.VF.F.VG.G . all these 9.2 and 9.8 . stuff. But that's for a different thread.people look down on a 8.5 or 9.0. I mean that's VF/NM. before this 9. whatever scale a VF copy of a book was extremly coolectable and sought after.

I know we're going down a different path, but I like what CGC's done to the hobby. Before CGC, there was a huge discrepancy in what NM meant. A dealer could have 10 NM copies of the same book, each better than the next. You could cherry pick his "NM" books, and pick the best one, and the guy who was left to choose from the worst 2 comics listed as "NM" wasn't as happy as the guy who got the best one. There was a need for some fine tuning of the grading scale. Now, we have grades for each of those different NM's, and the low ones that no one wanted before, are now the 8.5's that you speak of, which aren't very sought after still.

I think people who don't like CGC are the ones who had 8.5's that they could call "NM", and get the same price as a NM that was truly a 9.4.

Dear spidrvacc;

Thank you for all your advice-I guess I'm just so frustrated. Maybe I waited too long to sell them. If you ask me-the CGC ruined the investment value of comics and gave a permanent advantage to slabbers.The rich once again get richer and the rest of us bend over with vaseline.

Sincerely,

Andrew L.

CGC didn't ruin anything. People just believe the Overstreet/Wizard price guides are the ruling authorities on comic values. The internet and Ebay has changed everything. Before Ebay,you could've walked into most shops around looking for any issue they didn't have in stock and you'd hear "oh,thats impossible to find" or "I sold the last one for double guide because it's so hard to find"..or some other made up excuses these guys used to hose people...now,all you have to do is get on Ebay and find pretty much,any mainstream comic printed in the last 40 years,in every different condition,any day of the week. The percieved scarcity of most books has gone out the window,now that anybody in the world can be a dealer and sell their books right out of their own homes.

Last year I had a guy bring in a run of Amazing Spider-man last year #1-90,and Daredevil #1-75,among other books. He has had these books since he was a kid.So he has his printed up sheets,every issue itemized,with Overstreet prices from 3 different years..1990,1998,and the present. For one,as is usually the case,these types of guys always overgrade their books by atleast a grade.And as was the case for most of these VG-Fine books...the gap between Fine & VF is huge. Trying to tell a guy that isn't in this business that his books aren't the grade he thinks they are is an insult to him,and the deal gets off to a shaky start. Then I tell him what the stuff sells for on Ebay,at the same grade his books are in,and he clams up. I tell him,10 years ago,I would've been more interested in trying to work something out. I tell him,I have had maybe 4 copies of Spider-man #1 since the early '90's...but right now I can go on Ebay and take my pick of 20 different copies of #1 in every grade possible. As a dealer,this is what I am up against. I am trying to sell to the collectors that now have an unlimited supply of any issue they need right at their finger tips. Most buyers these days are not as lazy as they used to be. They are more trusting in the internet and with the feedback system,usually you can tell if you are dealing with a legit person. If I have a Hulk #340 in my store at book price and they can get it online at half,there's a 50-50 chance I'm gonna lose out to Ebay. sorry for the rant,the point is,don't blame CGC. like a guy earlier said,if anything,it has helped the hobby. Especially the guys that are investing in it. Joey

I have to add I was saying I did not like the 9. scale . I think CGC has been a good thing for the industry. ALways felt they should use 10.0 , 9.5 , 9.0 but thats just my personal opinion. I dont think it is a popular one either so I dont pretend it is.

I have about 15 CGC books and think it has helped comics alot . I think the nit picking between a 9.8 and 9.6 is just subjective . anyways did not want to go off topic. I think what rob said above is what I mean. A dealer has 3 NM but one is better than the other. To me they are 3 NM . one a .02 better than the other just sounds strange . Again just my humble opinion and not the majority.Most of my CGC are 8.5 or 9.0 or 9.2 as they look great and I dont want to pay a premiun for another .02 I guess if they are for investment purposes then having that 9.8 is a good thing but I am not an investor just a comic fan.

By the way great and interesting post comickings. I can see how Ebay has hurt many a dealer. Much like how Home depot killed all the small time hardware stores or Walmart killed toy R us Etc.. Ebay has aslo helped many a dealer to go go global and sell to the world so it is a double edged sword I guess. You can debate for hours the merits of Ebay like you can debate the impact of walmart.

and I DARE anyone to find private collectors who will do better at grading.

sumo.gifpoke2.gif

Nikos

Doc Banner

Greggy (kills me to admit it)

High Voltage

About 50 other guys on here... tongue.gif

and me, don't forget me! yay.gif

You sir are one of the 50! thumbsup2.gif

Thanks Aces! It feels good to be recognized (in a nice way)! flowerred.gif

Ok I'll add in my serious 2c here.

On the CGC issue: CGC did not ruin the hobby. It facilitated ease of mail order/internet sales through being an acceptable third party grading and authentication service. We all know for the most part what to expect in a book when CGC grades it as a blue label 9.4 or a green label 8.5. Whereas my qualified 8.5 may be different from spidrvacc's qualified 8.5 CGC for the most part offers a consistent (in theory) set of guidelines for grading and authenticating books. Collectors are willing to pay more for CGC authenticated books because of this and because there is less risk of purchase.

Powerman: I totally and fully apologize for the prozac remark. It was way out of line now that I can understand and appreciate your situation. I never owned a collection long enough to cherish it, but I can see where there is a great deal of sentimental value placed on it taking into account the years and effort you invested in putting it together. I can tell if that if you paid cover prices for the Silver/Bronze age books then even in VG condition they have appreciated some beyond their initial investment. The modern stuff, outside of keys, you'll have to wait on before they truly gain any value (if at all). Obviously you won't get your money's worth by selling it at 10c/book to a dealer and you probably will do better selling it on EEEKbay or BOC, but if you want to assess the full value of the collection, I would recommend taking it to or inviting over another collector/dealer that is a friend to grade the collection as he/she sees fit. Buy them dinner or something nice like that for their time. Ask them to be fair in assessing condition. Scan the key books using a good quality flatbed as digital cameras can be tricky to operate (trust me, I know!), and use a small pocket digital to take shots of the collection as a group. Start off the bidding at about 25% of what your friend appraised the collection at (or less), and optionally place a reserve if you want to get at least X for it.

I think people who don't like CGC are the ones who had 8.5's that they could call "NM", and get the same price as a NM that was truly a 9.4.

I think you're wrong.

One of the main reasons I dislike CGC's impact, is that it's become more difficult to find certain issue in Raw HG, and has made NM "dealer stock" suspect in the "why didn't he CGC it" way. CGC also favors US sellers/submitters over Canadian or International, when previous to that, EBay had leveled the playing field.

I think CGC did bring a few positives as well, but not everyone with negative views on the company is an "over-grading sociopath".

I recommend going on ebay and paying the $25 headlight auction and then ask for $10 for 20 comics telling everyone that you'll add at least one $10 comic in the mix. That can work sometimes and its a lot of fun for everyone.

Grab Bags get everyone excited, see.

Ed

Illegal?

One of the main reasons I dislike CGC's impact, is that it's become more difficult to find certain issue in Raw HG, and has made NM "dealer stock" suspect in the "why didn't he CGC it" way.

You got that right! It's like trying to find a silver quarter in a pocket full of change. You'll find one once in awhile,but the days of picking up high grade raw books have been long gone!

These negatives aren't going to help the sale (and 8 negs for <500 total is a red flag):

"Auction 'haulted' right after closure. Item 'should' be mine. Not good at all!"

Reply by locasciosales: ITEM WAS SUDDENLY LOST IN A FIRE

"BEWARE!1SOLD OLD DAMAGED AS NEW,PLAYS DUMB"

"slow shipping ,missing items, false contact info, still waiting for items beware"

Reply by locasciosales: I Should have Blocked his bid from the start , Piece of Garbage.

"you are the RUDEST seller on ebay w the HIGHESTshipping charges! F- - -"

"The book was not brand new as i've been told in the description, it's really old"

Reply by locasciosales: DO NOT DEAL WITH THIS BIDDER , LIAR & LOSER FROM THE START

(positive)

"Sent immediately after payment, look at pictures. Wasn't what was described."

Reply by locasciosales: This bidder is a Lunitic ,This Is revenge for not granting him free shipping.

(positive)

"Good seller, great shipping, but not "MINT CONDITION"- scratches & fingerprints"

Reply by locasciosales: I waited 1 month for his payment and then he LIES about the condition...

"Sent a check, never heard from him again...do not buy from this guy! CROOK!!"

"this guy is a thief"

There seems to be a pattern of items being described better than they are. In 10 years on eBay, my only neg is a retaliation from a non-paying bidder. Not one person has been unhappy with something I've sent them. But when his customers complain, he responds by calling them liars and losers. Don't be surprised if this $6500 auction gets no bids. There's no excuse for misleading buyers about the condition of an item, in hopes to sucker them out of more money than it's worth. That's theivery....lying! I can't believe this guy has no remorse with conning people out of their money, and sending them something completely different than what they thought they were getting. Just because they're getting the actual comic doesn't excuse the fact that the condition is different than what they were told they were getting. They're willing to bid a certain amount, based on the value of it being in a certain condition. If you're going to lie to someone and say you have a mint comic, and send them a VG, you might as well tell them you have a Hulk 181, and send them a Hulk 182.

If you're going to lie to someone and say you have a mint comic, and send them a VG, you might as well tell them you have a Hulk 181, and send them a Hulk 182.

Don't give him any ideas. 893naughty-thumb.gif

If you're going to lie to someone and say you have a mint comic, and send them a VG, you might as well tell them you have a Hulk 181, and send them a Hulk 182.

Don't give him any ideas. 893naughty-thumb.gif

Well, you said you'd send a Hulk in the 180's, and you did. What's the harm?

OK, so this is 'Near Perfect'? And I'm going to assume you've assigned a notional value of NM- Guide? Which is $95?

Let me tell you right now that the book in question is no better than VG. Which Guides at $16.

See how far off you are? See why there might be a problem?

That's not as bad as the Tales To Astonish #59 that's claimed to be NM (NM- guides for $500), and looks like it might be VF on a good day (probably less) which guides for $227. How can you tell someone you have a $500 comic, when you really have a $227 comic? That's criminal!!!

"On the CGC issue: CGC did not ruin the hobby. It facilitated ease of mail order/internet sales through being an acceptable third party grading and authentication service. We all know for the most part what to expect in a book when CGC grades it as a blue label 9.4 or a green label 8.5. Whereas my qualified 8.5 may be different from spidrvacc's qualified 8.5 CGC for the most part offers a consistent (in theory) set of guidelines for grading and authenticating books. Collectors are willing to pay more for CGC authenticated books because of this and because there is less risk of purchase."

Fo r expensive books, CGC is a nice service, but for the $10-$50 book, it's generally not worth it, yet many buyers now expect those books to to be slabbed as well, so it has hurt those sorts of books. I'm not going to spend $25 to slab a book that guides for $25 in OBG in VF/NM so that I can sell it for $25 (maybe). Now, when bidding on sharp raw books I have to figure that buyers are factoring in "well, it'll cost me $25 to send that the CGC, so I'll deduct that from what I'm willing to bid"

(It's a Wonderful Life)

George Bailey: Oh, I don't know... why not right here? You remember that old tool and machinery works? You tell your father he can get that for a song. And all the labor he wants, too.