• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hawkman No. 1 staple question

9 posts in this topic

Hi, All,

I wondered if anyone else has noticed this...I collect a lot of Hawkman issues. I have a beat-up copy of issue 1 from the 1960s and would like to upgrade eventually. That said, I've looked at dozens of copies of Hawkman No. 1 at ebay, online stores, etc. Many copies of this book have covers or centerfolds detached from at least one staple. It seems to me there was some printing issue with this book that causes the staples to pull away more easily than other books. Anyone know anything about this issue? Is this defect a known issue? Just a curious little thing I have noticed as I've shopped around. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Scott

Popped bottom staple is a know problem with Hawkman #1. Not sure if it came out same month as Batman #222 ? Beatles cover that seems to have same popped staple problem from what I've seen. foreheadslap.gif

Aren't they about half a decade apart?

I can confirm the Batman 222 staple. I was just scanning and grading some Batmans last night and remembered this thread. Sure enough, the cover and the next two wraps had the bottom stapled pulled through. The rest of the wraps/centerfold are tight, though. What does the pulled staple do to the grade?

A lot of the DC books from the early to mid-60s had covers printed on thinner paper stock.... asa result, staple pulls are very common. I have several otherwise VF/VF+ books from this era that have a popped staple. It's really a pain.

What does it do to the grade, I wonder?

Shep

I can confirm the Batman 222 staple. I was just scanning and grading some Batmans last night and remembered this thread. Sure enough, the cover and the next two wraps had the bottom stapled pulled through. The rest of the wraps/centerfold are tight, though. What does the pulled staple do to the grade?

I went through four copies of 222 before I finally found one with tight staples. It's odd, but that book is VERY prone to pops, especially at the lower staple. confused-smiley-013.gif

A lot of the DC books from the early to mid-60s had covers printed on thinner paper stock.... asa result, staple pulls are very common. I have several otherwise VF/VF+ books from this era that have a popped staple. It's really a pain.

What does it do to the grade, I wonder?

Shep

I agree , i have a JLA # 46 a beauty , 1st silver age Sandman, but popped staple also. Thinner paper stock!! frustrated.gif

I know what you mean, Puny. I bought an excellent looking Hawkman 12 for a nice price but the bottom staple is popped from the cover. I'm torn. I love the look of the issue but the staple sucks.