• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WTB DC Rudolph comics in high grade CGC

13 posts in this topic

I'm new to this title, so if anyone could share with me info on it (rarest issues, what I should expect to pay, etc), I'd appreciate it.

EDIT: OK, I've learned the '62/'63 80-page Giant Annual is the rarest. Anyone have a copy of this, CGC'd or not?

I'm new to this title, so if anyone could share with me info on it (rarest issues, what I should expect to pay, etc), I'd appreciate it.

EDIT: OK, I've learned the '62/'63 80-page Giant Annual is the rarest. Anyone have a copy of this, CGC'd or not?

Might as well give up before you even start. Here is some sad truth.

I started collecting DC Rudoplh many years ago as a fun project. I now have every appearance he had which is the 1950-1963 annuals, the numerous treasuries and a digest I believe.

The 1950-1963 books just DO NOT exist in high grade and I know of no pedigree copies of any issues. Here is what a combination of GPAnanlysis and CGC report:

GPAnalyst has 4 TOTAL reported sales and they are all on the same issue, the 1962/3 25 cent giant. The sales range on copies from 6.0 to 9.0. The 9.0 is the highest in the census.

CGC reports 1 1950 in 9.0 and 1 1951 in 9.2 but after that, it's only the 1962 and 1963 issues that have even been certified.

So basically, there are three high grade copies graded, 1 1950, 1 1951 and 1 1963.

It's a myth that the 1962/3 copy is rarer or scarcer than the other issues. It's actually not hard to find. I have like a F/F+ copy I bought for $4 from John Hauser.

By far the 1954 issue is the hardest to find in ANY condition.

My advice if you want to collect this series is to just start buying the copies you find, and upgrade as you find better copies. If anyone has high grade issues they either aren't selling or aren't talking or I just haven't found them yet! stooges.gif

My advice if you want to collect this series is to just start buying the copies you find, and upgrade as you find better copies.

Are any of the ones in eBay stores right now (a few <$10 copies) worth getting?

I wouldn't be in too much of a hurry, if I were you. I've been buying Rudolph's for the last year or two, they come up on ebay often.......usually around Christmas there is a small flood. They only one you'll end up paying guide for will be the annual. Just MHO. They are great books & quite fun to work on the run. thumbsup2.gif

That's what I was looking for, thanks!

I wrote an article about collecting DC Rudolph's that was pubslished in CBM I think issue 88 (says there is a Rudolph article on the cover). Gives a nice cross reference and checklist to all the issues he appeared in and which are original stories versus reprinted issues. It really is a fun series!

Might as well give up before you even start. Here is some sad truth.

I started collecting DC Rudoplh many years ago as a fun project. I now have every appearance he had which is the 1950-1963 annuals, the numerous treasuries and a digest I believe.

The 1950-1963 books just DO NOT exist in high grade and I know of no pedigree copies of any issues. Here is what a combination of GPAnanlysis and CGC report:

GPAnalyst has 4 TOTAL reported sales and they are all on the same issue, the 1962/3 25 cent giant. The sales range on copies from 6.0 to 9.0. The 9.0 is the highest in the census.

CGC reports 1 1950 in 9.0 and 1 1951 in 9.2 but after that, it's only the 1962 and 1963 issues that have even been certified.

So basically, there are three high grade copies graded, 1 1950, 1 1951 and 1 1963.

It's a myth that the 1962/3 copy is rarer or scarcer than the other issues. It's actually not hard to find. I have like a F/F+ copy I bought for $4 from John Hauser.

By far the 1954 issue is the hardest to find in ANY condition.

My advice if you want to collect this series is to just start buying the copies you find, and upgrade as you find better copies. If anyone has high grade issues they either aren't selling or aren't talking or I just haven't found them yet! stooges.gif

hail.gifhail.gifhail.gifhail.gifhail.gif

Good job, Danny! thumbsup2.gif

I wrote an article about collecting DC Rudolph's that was pubslished in CBM I think issue 88 (says there is a Rudolph article on the cover). Gives a nice cross reference and checklist to all the issues he appeared in and which are original stories versus reprinted issues. It really is a fun series!

You wrote that?! I just snagged a BIN on eBay for that issue, just for that article! Funny!

You wrote that?! I just snagged a BIN on eBay for that issue, just for that article! Funny!

Plus the full color photos of all the Rudolph issues are from my collection shy.gif