• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Can someone tell me why the first appearance of the JL ........

33 posts in this topic

Can someone tell me why the first appearance of the JL is in

my mind so under valued?

I mean shouldn't it be before the X-Men at least? It pre dates

it. It's harder to find.

Just wondering?

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

One things for sure,B&B 28 and JLA 1 can be had in mid grade for a decent deal if one is patient.I too,have wondered why that is.The GL #1 is another that surprises me on occassion.And it's not like they're junk.The early DC silver is all very well done.And their line is as popular as ever.I suppose that there is less material now that is truly undervalued,although there do continue to be some surprises.GL # 8 in high grade is one.That JLA 16 on www.PEDIGREECOMICS.COM looks interesting in 9.2 @ $ 900.Sometimes this hobby of ours simply DEFIES logic.GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) thumbsup2.gif

p.s. the GL # 2 on www.heritagecomics.com looks interesting in 9.0

One things for sure,B&B 28 and JLA 1 can be had in mid grade for a decent deal if one is patient.I too,have wondered why that is.The GL #1 is another that surprises me on occassion.And it's not like they're junk.The early DC silver is all very well done.And their line is as popular as ever.I suppose that there is less material now that is truly undervalued,although there do continue to be some surprises.GL # 8 in high grade is one.That JLA 16 on www.PEDIGREECOMICS.COM looks interesting in 9.2 @ $ 900.Sometimes this hobby of ours simply DEFIES logic.GOD BLESS...

I don't know that much about mid-grade prices, but I think you'd be surprised at how high prices have gotten on NM early SA DCs, and they actually compare favorably to equivalent Marvels. For instance, a 9.4 copy of Flash #125 sold for $4182 at the last Heritage Signature auction. Because Flash started with #105, this is effectively Flash #20 (and actually Flash #24 if you include the four Showcase appearances). I don't think anyone considers it to be any sort of key.

I don't have access to GPA, but I bet that $4182, for a non-key mid-run SA DC issue, compares pretty favorably to the prices achieved for a 9.4 FF #20 (which is actually a minor key) or #24, a 9.4 ASM #20 (which is a minor key) or #24, a 9.4 JIM #103 (which is also a minor key) or #107, or a 9.4 X-Men #20 or #24.

all things being equal i would take the B&B 28

over X-MEN 1.

893applaud-thumb.gif

Actually, in CGC 9.4, prices are pretty comparable for the two books. I believe a 9.4 X-Men #1 goes for around $60K, which was also the price for the only 9.4 B&B #28 that has been publicly sold thus far. Granted, the buyer of the B&B #28 was undoubtedly gripped with a temporary bout of insanity when he bid that high. tongue.gif

I don't know that much about mid-grade prices, but I think you'd be surprised at how high prices have gotten on NM early SA DCs, and they actually compare favorably to equivalent Marvels. For instance, a 9.4 copy of Flash #125 sold for $4182 at the last Heritage Signature auction. Because Flash started with #105, this is effectively Flash #20 (and actually Flash #24 if you include the four Showcase appearances). I don't think anyone considers it to be any sort of key.

I don't have access to GPA, but I bet that $4182, for a non-key mid-run SA DC issue, compares pretty favorably to the prices achieved for a 9.4 FF #20 (which is actually a minor key) or #24, a 9.4 ASM #20 (which is a minor key) or #24, a 9.4 JIM #103 (which is also a minor key) or #107, or a 9.4 X-Men #20 or #24.

You're right.

All most recent sales prices in GPA:

ASM#20 CGC 9.4: $2800

ASM#24 CGC 9.4: $2185

FF#20 CGC 9.4: $2760

FF#24 CGC 9.4: $880

JIM #103 CGC 9.4: $3207

JIM #107 CGC 9.4: $2000.

X-Men #20: $341.13

X-Men #24: $599.95

over X-MEN 1.

893applaud-thumb.gif

Actually, in CGC 9.4, prices are pretty comparable for the two books. I believe a 9.4 X-Men #1 goes for around $60K, which was also the price for the only 9.4 B&B #28 that has been publicly sold thus far. Granted, the buyer of the B&B #28 was undoubtedly gripped with a temporary bout of insanity when he bid that high. tongue.gif

And he was also bidding against JP, as rumor has it, otherwise the price would have been much lower. poke2.gif

over X-MEN 1.

893applaud-thumb.gif

And he was also bidding against JP, as rumor has it, otherwise the price would have been much lower. poke2.gif

Christo_pull_hair.gif893naughty-thumb.gif

Interestingly, that had always been the rumor that I heard too. But when I talked with Mark Wilson at the Forum Dinner, he swore up and down that he was with JP at the time of the auction and it was NOT JP bidding the book up. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Which means someone else can now be the target of my "affection". sumo.gif

over X-MEN 1.

893applaud-thumb.gif

Christo_pull_hair.gif893naughty-thumb.gif

Interestingly, that had always been the rumor that I heard too. But when I talked with Mark Wilson at the Forum Dinner, he swore up and down that he was with JP at the time of the auction and it was NOT JP bidding the book up. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Which means someone else can now be the target of my "affection". sumo.gif

I thought Bill Hughes was doing all of JP's buying at those auctions? confused.gif