• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Valiant- what's good? what's not?

54 posts in this topic

Looking for something good and cheap to collect , and thought I might try some Valiants. What's good to start with? and what books should I avoid? I'm typically into non-superhero type books, and recall liking Eternal Warrior for a few issues I bought a long while back...

and it iss safe to assume that no non-cgc Valiant book costs over $10? and most are a quarter?

It's almost safe to assume non-CGC Valiant books are under $10.

Most are around $0.25 to $1, particularly 1993-94.

(This guide includes shipping costs in the price estimates.)

http://www.valiantcomics.com/valiant/guide.asp

There are very few regular issues that sell above $10.

http://www.valiantcomics.com/valiant/mostwanted.asp

When do you see Valiants making the big big big comeback. You know it will happen. History repeats itself.......................Love your site.

What are the best Valiant books?

Almost universally, the answer is Pre-Unity (1991-mid1992).

http://www.valiantcomics.com/valiant/issuelist.asp

Once you've read Pre-Unity, and the Unity crossover, it's easy to pick your favorites

and continue those series.

thumbsup2.gif

When do you see Valiants making the big big big comeback. You know it will happen. History repeats itself.......................Love your site.

Certain Valiant books may have a larger appeal if (when) the characters get back into print.

Not all Valiant books would be affected though.

1993-94 print runs are still too high to support a "comeback".

1991-92 is a better "bet"... since the "golden age" of Valiant is what would be celebrated most.

Most people who think they know Valiant really don't know the early stuff.

Bloodshot and Ninjak weren't in there... Turok didn't have a title yet...

people don't really know Valiant unless they know Magnus #1-#12 and Solar #1-#10.

(Others that make the foundation are Harbinger #1-#7 and X-O Manowar #1-#6)

Many of the things that followed were good, too... but those runs are "must read".

I expect a return of Valiant in less than a year... just call it a hunch. grin.gif

Certain Valiant books may have a larger appeal if (when) the characters get back into print.

1991-92 is a better "bet"... since the "golden age" of Valiant is what would be celebrated most.

people don't really know Valiant unless they know Magnus #1-#12 and Solar #1-#10.

Many of the things that followed were good, too... but those runs are "must read".

I expect a return of Valiant in less than a year... just call it a hunch. grin.gif

I think if you're talking quality, then the 1991-1992 are a safe bet. I also think Rai 1-5 is a part of the Valiant foundation.

It doesn't get any better than Solar 1-10, Magnus 1-12, Harbinger 0-7 and X-O Manowar 1-6, true, but Rai 1-6 was pretty good, too, as was Shadowman 1-6. Some of the Shadowmans that Bob Hall worked on are good, too. After Shooter left, the quality went downhill fast.

Valiant then led the rest of the comics industry on a downward, variant-laced spiral and the boom went bust.

But, if you want to buy Valiants for investment purposes, those issues I already listed are safe bets and the last issues are seeing some increased prices.

They're not back to where they were in 1992 and 1993, but the Valiant values are slowly gaining steam again.

Mike B.

Just sent an X-O Manowar 1/2 gold in to get slabbed. Got it free from wizard back in 95' for subscribing to Wizard. Still have the letter they sent with the comic saying they apologize that they are out of the 1993 fan awards video and they have enclosed a very special gold edition of wizards X-O Manowar 1/2. I really wanted that video 27_laughing.gif

I was knee deep in valiant when I was stationed in Germany back in 1991-1993.....I picked up copies of ever title back then and enjoyed them immensley!!!

I ran into hard time in mid 1993 and needed some money so I bought a table at a show in Oklahoma where I had been transferred too and set out my Valiants for half book price.....which was still a ton of money at that time and sold them all to dealers before the show even opened. Mind you I paid cover price and was selling some of these for between $30-$60 bucks a piece since the early Harbingers were going for crazy money as was Solar #10. 893whatthe.gif

I have fond memories of them all and have reacquired all that I sold and more for pennies on the dollar and I still think the pre-unity stuff is some of the best story lines I have ever read. I know have most of the tough issues including the Golds and the Last issues of all the early stuff. I don't know if I will ever sell them but if anything gets hot....you can bet I have a copy. 893applaud-thumb.gif

When Valiant did the Harbinger coupon promotion my local shop was cutting the coupons out of the books THEN selling them on the stands. So, I wrote to Valiant and they sent me a complimentary copy of Harbinger 0 Pink with a really nice letter on Valiant letterhead. Later on, I took full advantage of their Gold promotion program where you found some creative way to promote Valiant comics and took a photo of it and they sent you a free Gold book. I have lots of Gold books from that, along with some really cool letters from the Valiant staff.

I did, however, pay $115 for a Magnus 0 with card and $53 for a Harbinger 3. I later bought multiple copies of those books for 50 cents or less each. I also passed up $300 on my Harbinger 0, but found one at a show for $60 and then turned around and traded it away for something of more value, Conan The Barbarian 1-3 in VF-NM.

Mike B.

It doesn't get any better than Solar 1-10, Magnus 1-12, Harbinger 0-7 and X-O Manowar 1-6, true, but Rai 1-6 was pretty good, too, as was Shadowman 1-6.

I enjoyed Pre-Unity Valiants very very much. The stories were excellent, and they held my imagination. Even the Unity story I felt was well done. I enjoyed Archer and Armstrong and Eternal Warrior the most. I made fistloads of money off any Pre-Unity book (back in the day) cloud9.gif, and most of them sold to dealers. Then came Turok #1..... 893whatthe.gif

Valiant then led the rest of the comics industry on a downward, variant-laced spiral and the boom went bust.

I always felt it was Image and Gen13 #1 with the 13 variants that started the variant craze.... yeahok.gif

But, if you want to buy Valiants for investment purposes, those issues I already listed are safe bets and the last issues are seeing some increased prices.

They're not back to where they were in 1992 and 1993, but the Valiant values are slowly gaining steam again.

Mike B.

I agree, these books will make a comeback, it's only a matter of time. Right now, nearly all Valiant books are affordable, and because of their cheap prices, you can't go wrong out of the reading enjoyment. thumbsup2.gif

My crystal ball sees a rise in prices, but the time is still unclear. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Andy

I loved Valiant when it was new and hot, it was some thing different and I liked that idea. Several times in the past 2 years I have tried to reread them and I just can't get back into them, now they seem horrible...strange but true.

I loved Valiant when it was new and hot, it was some thing different and I liked that idea. Several times in the past 2 years I have tried to reread them and I just can't get back into them, now they seem horrible...strange but true.

Since you've tried a couple times, would you mind mentioning which books you can't get into?

(I'm particularly wondering if you're having trouble with 1991-92 books, or the 1993-1996 stuff.)

On another note....here's a quick Valiant story.

When I was in Germany I really wanted a Platinum copy of Predetor vs Magnus Robot fighter. The only way I knew I could get one was to order 50 copies of the regular comic from a distributor in the USA. So I ordered my 50 copies and was thrilled when I opened the box and saw the Platinum on top. I was then able to go to the local AAFES book store and place the rest on the shelf for sale since I had an inside connection and I knew that nobdoy else would be able to get their hands on a copy. The next day I took my platinum copy to the barracks to gloat to another fellow collector. When I showed him the book he smiled and pulled out his Platinum copy!!! 893whatthe.gif

I asked him where he got the book and he told me it was on the shelf with the normal issues and the women behind the counter charged him the normal $3.95 cover price even though there wasn't a price listed on the book foreheadslap.gif

That's right.....They sent me two platinum editions and I inadvertantly placed one on the shelf with the normal issues..............needless to say I was sick to my stomach as they were selling for around $80 bucks at the time tonofbricks.gif

Well we live and we learn thumbsup2.gif

When Valiant did the Harbinger coupon promotion my local shop was cutting the coupons out of the books THEN selling them on the stands. So, I wrote to Valiant and they sent me a complimentary copy of Harbinger 0 Pink with a really nice letter on Valiant letterhead. Later on, I took full advantage of their Gold promotion program where you found some creative way to promote Valiant comics and took a photo of it and they sent you a free Gold book. I have lots of Gold books from that, along with some really cool letters from the Valiant staff.

I did, however, pay $115 for a Magnus 0 with card and $53 for a Harbinger 3. I later bought multiple copies of those books for 50 cents or less each. I also passed up $300 on my Harbinger 0, but found one at a show for $60 and then turned around and traded it away for something of more value, Conan The Barbarian 1-3 in VF-NM.

Mike B.

I picked up a NM'is Harbinger 0 pink in my LCS quarter bin a few years ago 27_laughing.gif

I was trying Magnus, Rai, External and X-O. Maybe it was just meI go through phases where I like moderns then vintage then super hero then independent etc...,I guess when I mix it up it keep me from getting bored with comics. Trust me I will try again haha

Since you've tried a couple times, would you mind mentioning which books you can't get into?

(I'm particularly wondering if you're having trouble with 1991-92 books, or the 1993-1996 stuff.)

Do you still have it, I would love to see a scan.

On another note....here's a quick Valiant story.

When I was in Germany I really wanted a Platinum copy of Predetor vs Magnus Robot fighter. The only way I knew I could get one was to order 50 copies of the regular comic from a distributor in the USA. So I ordered my 50 copies and was thrilled when I opened the box and saw the Platinum on top. I was then able to go to the local AAFES book store and place the rest on the shelf for sale since I had an inside connection and I knew that nobdoy else would be able to get their hands on a copy. The next day I took my platinum copy to the barracks to gloat to another fellow collector. When I showed him the book he smiled and pulled out his Platinum copy!!! 893whatthe.gif

I asked him where he got the book and he told me it was on the shelf with the normal issues and the women behind the counter charged him the normal $3.95 cover price even though there wasn't a price listed on the book foreheadslap.gif

That's right.....They sent me two platinum editions and I inadvertantly placed one on the shelf with the normal issues..............needless to say I was sick to my stomach as they were selling for around $80 bucks at the time tonofbricks.gif

Well we live and we learn thumbsup2.gif

Actually....I believe I do still have it! I wouldn't say they are very rare....I am sure you can pick them up today for $5 or $10 bucks at the most......

Here's an Ebay auction with a scan.....ended for $19.99....which is way to much at this point....others have sold for only a few bucks!!!

Ebay Platinum Predator vs Magnus

I picked up two Platinum versions back in the day when "Platinum" editions were sky High. Think I may have paid $20 per for them.

I had some guy named "shooter" scribble on one for me at a convention though, so the price is down on that one. He also wrote on my Harbinger 0pink and a couple of other books.

Mike

It is really hard to find the white Valiant Dealer preview comics. I expect those to gain value ovee time. Rarely for sale on ebay. Where did they all go??

It is really hard to find the white Valiant Dealer preview comics. I expect those to gain value ovee time. Rarely for sale on ebay. Where did they all go??

Are you talking about the Acclaim (1996-1998) Retailer Review (Black & White) copies?

They pop up on Ebay from time-to-time... I think a couple of larger dealers may have received

cases of them at the time, and they still sell them sporadically as a set.

I had some guy named "shooter" scribble on one for me at a convention though, so the price is down on that one. He also wrote on my Harbinger 0pink and a couple of other books.

Mike

When a 6'7" guy wants to write on your comics, you let him. headbang.gif