• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Valiant- what's good? what's not?

54 posts in this topic

and i'm realizing how much i liked the early stuff. the covers were excellent, the stories were good, and the characters were inventive. plus, i never realized frank miller did some of the covers. and you can't beat the prices.

i bought solar, man of the atom #1 in the mid '90's or so for $30 dollars! now you get it for $5. 27_laughing.gif.

It is really hard to find the white Valiant Dealer preview comics. I expect those to gain value ovee time. Rarely for sale on ebay. Where did they all go??

Are you talking about the Acclaim (1996-1998) Retailer Review (Black & White) copies?

They pop up on Ebay from time-to-time... I think a couple of larger dealers may have received

cases of them at the time, and they still sell them sporadically as a set.

Yes those are the ones. I just don't see them in my travels across the country.

Why is the Chaos gold going for such a low price. That book is not very common at all. Pretty book too.

Why is the Chaos gold going for such a low price. That book is not very common at all. Pretty book too.

Chaos Gold was "claimed" to be limited to 1,000 copies.

Valiant officially made that announcement before it came out...

so there's some "documentation" about it being 1,000 copies.

However, I have heard from a number of former Valiant employees

that they actually wound up printing 5,000 copies... like all the other gold books.

It came up regularly on Ebay for years because a seller basically found a case of them.

So, what we have is just another gold book, no rarer than the rest,

except from a later timeframe, and including a story that many didn't like.

I'd rather have a Gold of Eternal Warrior #1 or Archer & Armstrong #0. thumbsup2.gif

I'm not sure why you put "500 to 1,000 copies" in your auction description.

The 1,000 is understandable, but the "500 to" part is just a lie. poke2.gif

You've been to my website and even joined the messageboard...

so I know that you've had every possibility of seeing the FACT PAGE.

I'm not sure why you would feel the need to lie to your "customers".

Surely your integrity isn't worth scamming a couple extra bucks. 893naughty-thumb.gif

Thanks for your reply. I used the old print run numbers of "up to 1000 copies" and have now updated my records per you new information of 1k to 5k. If I get some time I plan to try and spend some time on your website. Here is the auction Thanks Jd.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260044657667

Ah dammit...after reading and re-reading this thread, I think I'm going to have to re-aquire those pre-unity books.

Way to go everyone! 27_laughing.gif

Andy

27_laughing.gif

They really are still enjoyable in my opinion

When do you see Valiants making the big big big comeback. You know it will happen. History repeats itself.......................Love your site.

Certain Valiant books may have a larger appeal if (when) the characters get back into print.

Not all Valiant books would be affected though.

1993-94 print runs are still too high to support a "comeback".

1991-92 is a better "bet"... since the "golden age" of Valiant is what would be celebrated most.

Most people who think they know Valiant really don't know the early stuff.

Bloodshot and Ninjak weren't in there... Turok didn't have a title yet...

people don't really know Valiant unless they know Magnus #1-#12 and Solar #1-#10.

(Others that make the foundation are Harbinger #1-#7 and X-O Manowar #1-#6)

Many of the things that followed were good, too... but those runs are "must read".

I expect a return of Valiant in less than a year... just call it a hunch. grin.gif

It is really hard to find the white Valiant Dealer preview comics. I expect those to gain value ovee time. Rarely for sale on ebay. Where did they all go??

Are you talking about the Diamond Limited Unity trade paperback with the white cover? I got #1 from Flying Donut a couple years ago for $110. I still have it. It is virtually perfect -- like MT 9.9 condition.

When do you see Valiants making the big big big comeback. You know it will happen. History repeats itself.......................Love your site.

Certain Valiant books may have a larger appeal if (when) the characters get back into print.

1991-92 is a better "bet"... since the "golden age" of Valiant is what would be celebrated most.

people don't really know Valiant unless they know Magnus #1-#12 and Solar #1-#10.

Many of the things that followed were good, too... but those runs are "must read".

I expect a return of Valiant in less than a year... just call it a hunch. grin.gif

Are you talking about the Diamond Limited Unity trade paperback with the white cover? I got #1 from Flying Donut a couple years ago for $110. I still have it. It is virtually perfect -- like MT 9.9 condition.

Actually, I think he's talking about the Acclaim "Retailer Review" books (1996-98),

which were black & white previews of Acclaim titles with white paper covers.

(Probably 5,000 of each were made, some "stockpiles" of those known.)

(An example) http://www.valiantcomics.com/valiant/issue.asp?cn=1275

The Diamond Unity Trades (in two volumes) are definitely rare...

1992 square-bound glossy blue Frank Miller painted cover,

signed on the first page (signing plate) by multiple Valiant artists...

Nine "chapters" per book... there were probably under 1,000 made, most likely 500 to 800.

http://www.valiantcomics.com/valiant/issue.asp?cn=1185

These are not to be confused with the 1994 Unity Saga trade paperbacks...

Four volumes, black covers, book 1 came with a slipcase for the 4 volumes.

http://www.valiantcomics.com/valiant/issue.asp?cn=952

while I was having a Sirius radio installed I stopped at a LCS (Golden Apple in the SFV) and they were having a sale 10 comics for a dollar. I went through about 5 long boxes in 45 minutes and picked out 69 books. I pulled most every Valiant that I saw. so I think almost 1/2 are Valiants.

They will be among the books that I donate to Vets for reading material.

I also picked up there ONLY Goldan Age book. A 1953 Four Color # 488. Really sad that there was only 1 Golden Age book in a major store in LA

This prediction is from October 2006.

Looks like I was right:

http://www.valiantfans.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15060

thumbsup2.gif

I wouldn't mind picking up the Magnus 1-10, Solar 1-10, Harbinger 1-7, XO manowar 1-6, and Rai 1-10 just to read. If anyone has them in full runs LMK, if the price is right I would buy them all.

When Valiant did the Harbinger coupon promotion my local shop was cutting the coupons out of the books THEN selling them on the stands. So, I wrote to Valiant and they sent me a complimentary copy of Harbinger 0 Pink with a really nice letter on Valiant letterhead. Later on, I took full advantage of their Gold promotion program where you found some creative way to promote Valiant comics and took a photo of it and they sent you a free Gold book. I have lots of Gold books from that, along with some really cool letters from the Valiant staff.

I did, however, pay $115 for a Magnus 0 with card and $53 for a Harbinger 3. I later bought multiple copies of those books for 50 cents or less each. I also passed up $300 on my Harbinger 0, but found one at a show for $60 and then turned around and traded it away for something of more value, Conan The Barbarian 1-3 in VF-NM.

Mike B.

Funny, when i was collecting Valiant back in the day i wanted to get my hands on one of those cool "gold or Platnium" editions. I also had heard about the Creative Promotion/ Giveaway. Me and my brother went outside next to the road, built a Huge snowman right on the side, and with food coloring, drew the Valiant "star" and the words: Valiant Comics below it. Took a few hours, and when finished we took a few pictures, wrote a letter to Valiant explaining that TWO of us had worked on the project so just ONE comic wouldnt cut it...lol! Couple weeks later, a package shows up with a nice letter thanking us for our intrest in Valiant Comics and inside there is 3 copies of Predator vs. Magnus Platnium edition!! We ended up selling a copy for $30. Still have the other two! They were a cool company, i thought that was a great idea, give kids a chance to get some "dealer incentive editions" for free! I think i spent the $30 on a Amazing Spidey 129. Thank god a bought the Spidey 129 rather than moderns!!

--Joe G.