• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The reluctant seller

27 posts in this topic

I don't think I know 3 people who collectED comics to the extent they would have accumulated that much stuff (and still have it).

See what I mean, everyone's an expert and assumes their own situation mirrors the entirety of the human experience. foreheadslap.gif

Personally, I have known people who used to collect comics, had comics given to them, inherited them from family members, were asked to sell them by friends or neighbors, or who had just carted them around from place to place.

There are many ways to own a "box of comics", and actively collecting is only one of them.

Did it ever occur that maybe the sale of the books isn't as important to them as to you? Out of sight, out of mind. When people approach us it's important, to them it's a moment of their life. Welcome to the life of being a dealer.

It's up to you to "close the deal" or follow up with the them, not the other way around.

I think you are correct, the sale of the books must not be all that important to any of them. Unfortunately I know of no other way to "close the deal" than literally offering them the money they say they want ( which I have done in all 3 situations ).

The guy with the 19-194 ASM run wanted a specific amount of money, I offered it to him, he has agreed. I now am waiting for him to "get them from his garage", which apparently takes 2 years to do :PP. I have even told him I am pulling out of the deal as I am tired of waiting, then he "panics" and tells me not to pull out and that he will get the books before the end of the month...then of course something comes up and he doesnt.

The guy with the Hulk 181 has over 100 longboxes of comics ( he used to run a store ) and can't recall exactly which one contains the book. I am waiting for him to find it, which seems to take a year.

The guy with the 250+ run of ASM turned me off by doubling his price after finding the books. I dont want his books anymore. So if there is anyone out there that wants to pay 200 bucks for 98 ASM comics from around issue 250 - 500 let me know I will get you in touch with the guy. Maybe he has 252 and 300, I really dont know.

Artboy99

Basically I look at it that my time and $$$ is as important to me as their comics. I would expect that someone would value my time and effort in coming up with the offer and having the ability to pay. A person constantly blowing me off shows that they don't respect my patience. I would ask them if they would be as accomodating if the situation were reversed. Or if my check bounced.

The guy you mentioned as having a store and the 181 in the long boxes is probably weighing the effort in going through all the boxes to find it. Basically the work outweighs the reward. I'd be surprised if it ever shows up.

I'd dump the last guy. You had a deal, now he changes it. He deserves to be treated the same way he treated you.

As to the guy with 100 boxes-why not offer to go over and pick thru the boxes. I'm fairly sure you'll find a bunch of other stuff you'd buy as well,and it would be win-win for both of you. You'd get the books and he'd turn some occupied space into cash.

As to the guy with 100 boxes-why not offer to go over and pick thru the boxes. I'm fairly sure you'll find a bunch of other stuff you'd buy as well,and it would be win-win for both of you. You'd get the books and he'd turn some occupied space into cash.

That's a good idea.

Perhaps we could also hook up this person with the 100 boxes with Richnerd's friend's dad from the other thread. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

While I've never bought comics there, I've had some very odd experiences buying off of Craig's List. Last year a guy had an X-Box for $100. I e-mailed him with a question, and he replies back not really answering my question and asks if I want a modded PS2. I say no to the PS2 and after a few more back and forth e-mails I get the info I want and am ready to buy. He asks for my phone number. I give it to him and he calls, caller ID shows his number as being restricted. We arrange a time to meet at my place (seller didn't want me to come to his place even though I got his address - WTF?). And by the way, did I want a modded PS2? Nope. I wait at home and the seller never shows.

I e-mail the next day asking what happened and he says something came up and we could meet tonight. He would call me to confirm later. I get his call later and he says he can't make it tonight. I say I'd really like to buy this and ask when I can get it. In two weeks is his reply. I say the deal's off. He says ok but would I like a modded PS2? I hung up.

-Bob