• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WW Chicago and my collection

22 posts in this topic

Here are two head sketches by my favorite artist, Phil Hester. Phil did the Spider-Man for my 6 year old nephew. I give him all of my Spider-Man comics after I read them and he loves them. He does not touch the books when I am not around and everytime I come over, he grabs his short box and brings it out so we can flip through some issues.

Phil-Hester-Spider-Man.jpg

and a Green Arrow for me.

Phil-Hester-GA.jpg

I have been talking to Phil for some time now about getting a commission done and about a month ago, I decided what I wanted. I told him that I would like Nightwing fighting Deathstroke and each of them using their staff weapons. This is the end result and I am very happy with it. I got to see the pencil version before Ande Parks inked it and hope to have those pictures up tonight as well.

Hester-Parks-commission.jpg

Next I stopped by the booth of some Indie artist and got a Batman and Superman sketch. These are probably my least favorite pieces but they still have a home in my collection.

Superman by Terry Huddleston

Terry-Huddleston-Superman.jpg

Batman by Chad Fuller

Chad-Fuller-Batman.jpg

Since I am a DC fanboy and rarely buy anything from other companies, I am not all that familiar with the work of the Fraim brothers but they had some nice pre-drawn work. I grabbed two pieces and am very happy with them.

Batman

Fraim-Batman.jpg

and Green Arrow

Fraim-GA.jpg

One of my favorite moments from the entire convention was watching Andy Lee paint. His work is beautiful and he paints faster than most people can draw. I think it took him less than 4 minutes to draw this piece. He did some great work this past weekend but of all i saw, this is my favorite thing he did.

Green Arrow by Andy Lee

Andy-Lee-GA.jpg

Some of you may remember me asking for the contact info for Doug Mahnke a while back. I never got that but I did find his inker, Tom Nguyen, at Chicago and managed to get a few pieces from the Batman Under the Hood series

Batman 637, page 18

Batman637-18.jpg

Batman 647, page 18

Batman647-18.jpg

I have been talking to Phil for some time now about getting a commission done and about a month ago, I decided what I wanted. I told him that I would like Nightwing fighting Deathstroke and each of them using their staff weapons. This is the end result and I am very happy with it. I got to see the pencil version before Ande Parks inked it and hope to have those pictures up tonight as well.

Wow thanks for pointing me to this thread. I love love love this one! Oh and the Spidey isn't bad. I went through an OA "phase" a few years ago but now im thinking 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Great stuff! hail.gif

Awesome Stuff Darrell! So nice to see the Hester commission piece, I have been waiting for awhile!!!

Great start to your collection. Congrats! Love the Andy Lee GA. He's the man. I always try to pick up something from him.
He is on the list for Dragon Con here in Atlanta next month and I plan to get another piece from him.

Awesome Stuff Darrell! So nice to see the Hester commission piece, I have been waiting for awhile!!!

It took some time for me to decide what I wanted. You should post your Deathstroke piece.

I love love love this one! Oh and the Spidey isn't bad.

You can't compare the commission to the Spidey. The Spidey was a 2 minute sketch. I really love the commission though.

I said i liked the Spidey makepoint.gif

Yes but I said that the Spidey wasn't in the same category as the other one. I like all of them. Well I could do without the two by the Indie artist.