• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PART II - Clearest scan ever! Hands down, the winnah!

18 posts in this topic

Well... we all remember the classic scan referenced in the previous thread of Action 43...

Pac-Man eating Superman's head... you know the one...

I received the book in the mail today, and after looking it over, I now know the whole story of what happened to this book. A little deductive reasoning goes a long way...

But before I tell the tale, take a look at this partial scan, unretouched... I have edited out the corner with the real damage. I'll post a full scan after the basketball game is over...

Did anyone think the rest of the book would look THIS good? Because looking at this scan, what happened to the book is nothing less than a tragedy...

action43.jpg

I'm watching the Finals as well, go nets btw. This series is certainly filled with scoring spurts and droughts. Is it a bad series? No. Is it really good? Not really. But it's decent enough that it certainly warrants watching some of the games, IMO.

Brian

Nope... I didn't place another bid after I was overtaken at 284.50...

I actually planned to, but then a little birdie told me there were more 35c variants auctions coming soon... so I let someone else have that beauty...

I'll probably bid on another book of his, find one that books around $75-100... Those recent Spideys are way out of my price range..

And here's the full scan...

The stroy of this book, based on the evidence available...

Book was originally part of a collection of Golden Age stored in flat stacks. This comic was in Fine to Fine+ condition, with impact damage in the LRC the only flaw keeping it form VF. Gorgeous color and great eye appeal.

A fire started near the books, and it burned the edge of the stack about four inches long near the top of the spine. Water was thrown on the fire, dousing it, and that water soaked the ULC of each book in the stack, but did not wick through the remaining paper.

The books were left stacked long enough for front covers and back covers to stick together througout the stack in the corner where they had been wet. The owner of the books fanned through them at the LRC to see which books were which, and carefully separated out the more important issues.

This issue was separated from the pile, but took parts of the covers of the book above and below. The owner carefully separated as much of the extra covers as possible to reveal the Action 43, but wound up having to cut through the front cover and several pages in the process.

So 75% of the book is in Fine to Fine+ shape. The remaining corner has burn damage removing the spine, water damage rippling the corner, rust migration from the top staple, extra pieces of cover stuck to the book, and incisions from the attempted removal...

Here's the book, in all its glory:

act43.jpg

And here's the full scan...

The stroy of this book, based on the evidence available...

Book was originally part of a collection of Golden Age stored in flat stacks. This comic was in Fine to Fine+ condition, with impact damage in the LRC the only flaw keeping it form VF. Gorgeous color and great eye appeal.

A fire started near the books, and it burned the edge of the stack about four inches long near the top of the spine. Water was thrown on the fire, dousing it, and that water soaked the ULC of each book in the stack, but did not wick through the remaining paper.

The books were left stacked long enough for front covers and back covers to stick together througout the stack in the corner where they had been wet. The owner of the books fanned through them at the LRC to see which books were which, and carefully separated out the more important issues.

This issue was separated from the pile, but took parts of the covers of the book above and below. The owner carefully separated as much of the extra covers as possible to reveal the Action 43, but wound up having to cut through the front cover and several pages in the process.

So 75% of the book is in Fine to Fine+ shape. The remaining corner has burn damage removing the spine, water damage rippling the corner, rust migration from the top staple, extra pieces of cover stuck to the book, and incisions from the attempted removal...

Here's the book, in all its glory:

act43.jpg

Still looks better than that POS CGC 7.0 Superman 233 that you said had 9.0 "eye appeal"! cool.gif

Still looks better than that POS CGC 7.0 Superman 233 that you said had 9.0 "eye appeal"!

So I posted one book drunk... shoot me... mad.gif

Still looks better than that POS CGC 7.0 Superman 233 that you said had 9.0 "eye appeal"!

So....were you drunk when you sent me a PM stating that you found some nice Witching Hours?

Or....are you bitter that the Spurs blew a golden chance for another away win? insane.gif

So....were you drunk when you sent me a PM stating that you found some nice Witching Hours?

Or....are you bitter that the Spurs blew a golden chance for another away win? insane.gif

Not at all... this way I can still do a bet with shadroch... I was rooting against the Spurs tonight...

That's a shame! I assume you'll be sending the POS back to the scammer?

Considering he described it as poor, and I paid 30% of Good... no.. I'm pretty happy with it...

It's complete and very readable... with inside back cover ads for:

Green Lantern 1

All-Flash 2

World's Finest 4

All-Star 8

Batman 8

Heck, that's pretty cool all by itself...

how would damage occur to a book in that fashion? It's almost as if you'd have to try to do that...

That's why the story is so easy to piece together... there's really no other course of events that achieves the same result...