• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Restoration supplies and literature....

19 posts in this topic

Nope. There are lots of conservation websites (like Stanford University's ConservationOnline), but nothing comic book specific that tells you how to restore a comic book.

DIY is probably not the most prudent course, but if you peruse the following links, you will expose yourself to a lot of relevant information and will be better educated to make a decision regarding what steps you want to take with regard to self vs. professional restorarion. If you opt to try some techniques youself, be sure to practice on some cr@ppy comics first until you are confortable with the process. Some (most) restoration practices should be left to the professionals no matter how educated you become on the subect b/c you don't have the experience and necessary gear to do things properly. Academic investigation cannot replace practical knowedge.

Here are a few sites I have in my favorites. I can't remember the specifics of the sites, but I saved them b/c I thought they were useful on this subject. I seem to remember that the last link discusses (briefly) some restoration techniques explained for the lay man. Good luck. It's interesting stuff and good to know.

http://www.loc.gov/preserv/careothr.html

http://www.state.me.us/sos/arc/general/admin/doconsrv.htm

http://aic.stanford.edu/public/select.html

http://www.collectorsguide.com/fa/fa010.shtml

Is there a good book or web site for DIY comic restoration?

There's plenty of informational web sites on paper conservation and restoration, but almost anything specifically *comic book* gets treated like it's one of "The Black Arts of the Criminally Insane" or something. Which is rediculous, but understandable since undisclosed resto can be used by thieves.

That's why I'm shocked...SHOCKED I SAY... to come across what appears to be a Do-It-Yourselfer's personal website. Full Potential Comic Book Restoration

Haven't had a chance to read through it all. I'm just stunned that it even exists. 893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif

...little does he know that somewhere Hobby Thought Leaders are holding an emergency meeting on how to deal with such a blatant disregard for traditional suppression of this dangerous info. 27_laughing.gif

Is there a good book or web site for DIY comic restoration?

There's plenty of informational web sites on paper conservation and restoration, but almost anything specifically *comic book* gets treated like it's one of "The Black Arts of the Criminally Insane" or something. Which is rediculous, but understandable since undisclosed resto can be used by thieves.

That's why I'm shocked...SHOCKED I SAY... to come across what appears to be a Do-It-Yourselfer's personal website. Full Potential Comic Book Restoration

Haven't had a chance to read through it all. I'm just stunned that it even exists. 893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif

...little does he know that somewhere Hobby Thought Leaders are holding an emergency meeting on how to deal with such a blatant disregard for traditional suppression of this dangerous info. 27_laughing.gif

Hey, that's my website! I've taken on comic book restoration as a hobby and have found sites like the ones above, as well as the members here, to be very valuable sources. After trying to explain to friends, family, and coworkers what restoration actually is, I decided to design a website this summer. I've spent a lot of time on it and its about 90% done, but hadn't posted about it to anyone on the web and was surprised to find it mentioned here! I un-published it for the time being, but would be curious to hear what your initial thoughts were? The information that I discuss is not as taboo as the pros would like you to think it is, It's all out there if you want to go looking for it.

I unpublished it for the time being. its not finished and im actually suprised that davenport found it. I plan on having it finished this fall.

Not sure why you pulled it. frown.gif

Hey, I was just joking about that "Black Arts" thing. Comic book restoration sites usually have *before and after*, but leave out all the "treatment report" details.

Anyway, I did go back and read through it after posting and was very impressed with how well done your site was. Seemed very professional.

I especially enjoyed the process breakdowns with the total hours for completion. 893applaud-thumb.gif Sites like yours are a breath of fresh air, and details help remove some of the misconceptions and stigma surrounding restoration imho.

Kudos, and hopefully you'll put it back up soon. thumbsup2.gif

I unpublished it for the time being. its not finished and im actually suprised that davenport found it. I plan on having it finished this fall.

Not sure why you pulled it. frown.gif

Hey, I was just joking about that "Black Arts" thing. Comic book restoration sites usually have *before and after*, but leave out all the "treatment report" details.

Anyway, I did go back and read through it after posting and was very impressed with how well done your site was. Seemed very professional.

I especially enjoyed the process breakdowns with the total hours for completion. 893applaud-thumb.gif Sites like yours are a breath of fresh air, and details help remove some of the misconceptions and stigma surrounding restoration imho.

Kudos, and hopefully you'll put it back up soon. thumbsup2.gif

I was looking forward to reading it....

Hey guys, I republished it for those that want to take a look. The leafcasting section was the last page (plus supplies section as well) I have to work on and it will be very detailed. After researching the technique on the net, I built my own machine and used it to restore the copy of X-Men #1. There arent many projects up, but each book takes me a few months and I took a hiatus to create the site.

Hey guys, I republished it for those that want to take a look. The leafcasting section was the last page (plus supplies section as well) I have to work on and it will be very detailed. After researching the technique on the net, I built my own machine and used it to restore the copy of X-Men #1. There arent many projects up, but each book takes me a few months and I took a hiatus to create the site.

Thank you! 893applaud-thumb.gif Your gallery certainly has that wow-factor. thumbsup2.gif

Something I've always wondered about is Re-assembly. I would think trying to finger-manuver staples back in, while keeping the assembly tight, would probably be a tricky pain. Or do you just put vintage staples in a saddle stitch stapler?

reassembly is a very tricky pain! I've read a few threads on it here, there's no real easy way to do it. I use a pair of tweezers and a staple remover to reinsert them into each page and then bend them back.

I wonder if a saddle stitch stapler would work with vintage staples? Do you always re-use the original staple holes, even though the cover/folio spines are mended and reinforced? confused-smiley-013.gif

B0006YZ38O.01-A3SKJE188CW5XG._AA190_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

reassembly is a very tricky pain! I've read a few threads on it here, there's no real easy way to do it. I use a pair of tweezers and a staple remover to reinsert them into each page and then bend them back.

I wonder if a saddle stitch stapler would work with vintage staples? Do you try to re-use the original staple holes, even though the cover/folio spines are mended and reinforced? confused-smiley-013.gif

B0006YZ38O.01-A3SKJE188CW5XG._AA190_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

I use the original staples, or at least vintage staples. I will use the original staple holes, but will make new holes if every folio has been mended and repaired so that, essentially, they've all been filled in. A saddle stitch stapler may work, but you would have to get the vintage staples to fit into it and I'm not so sure that would be very easy? confused-smiley-013.gif