• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tradin' Up to the Grail in the Sky

16 posts in this topic

I've been wanting to try something like the guy who traded a giant paper clip for a house, but less amazing. I'd like to start with three random and low key items and continously trade upwards to a grail item. One of the three can be picked and a trade will be made. I hope to take that item and trade up again, and again... I've thought a long time about what the grail should be and I want it to be good, but nothing crazy like Action 1. It might be a reach, but I'd like to go for Tales of Suspense #39, hopefully in at least fine condition. For the first round I have this to offer-

Wanted #1 Death Row Edition signed by Mark Millar at Wizard World Chicago 2004

wanted1millar.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Or a regular Tales of The Teen Titans #44 which has the Origin of Deathstroke, 1st Jericho and first Grayson as Nightwing.TTtitans44.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Lastly is a sketch of Iron Man done by Jerry Beck at Wizard World Chicago in 2004. It cost me ten bucks. The sketch is pencil shading outlined by a darker pencil.Jbecksketch.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

If anyone wants to trade, please PM what you have to offer.

Just to let everyone know, 500 was my original username and I had a bit more than 200 posts. However, I stopped to concentrate on school, since graduating I don't have a huge focus anymore and when I decided to start posting again I'd forgotten my password and the email account used is defunct.

However, I will take into account that my low post count can be regarded as untrustworthy, and risky to work with, and if you want to trade but are unsure because of it, PM me and maybe we can take precautions or build up the level of trust.

This is supposed to be fun, see if it can be done project, if it falls flat on its face then so be it, someone else can try, hopefully with better luck. Or if this has already been done, or is regarded by everyone as stupid, I'll delete it and post with the stigma of being that guy with the dumb idea from now on.

<p>New Item on the Trading Block

<p>The first decision was pretty hard, I was also offered an ASM 300, but I ended up choosing the 299 because it was in better condition. Thank you Erato!

<p>Amazing Spiderman #299

<p>ASM299fr.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

<p>and the back

<p>ASM299bk.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

What condition was the 300??

I'm sort of doing the same (not a trade-up, but a traditional buy/sell strategy)...started with $600 in Jan 06. Now at approx. $8,500..nearly a 15-fold turnaround. I've been setting several milestone goals rather a single ultimate goal. By smaller goals with short intervals, I don't get discouraged from the long process. Plus, at each milestone, I can sit down and review what has worked and what hasn't in regards to purchases, sales, and marketing. As an example, my first milestone was to acquire a mid-grade Amazing Fantasy #15 at a relatively low price, turnaround and sell it at 2x the cost. Achieved.

My knowledge about the comics business has evolved in the course of it all. I understand better how to negotiate with sellers (namely, dealers who ridiculously overprice their books). And as a comic fan, I have seen and read so many great stuff than ever before!!

Not easy and it has to be thought out and planned well. Excel spreadsheet with formulas is a must...don't know if certified dealers even bother with this!! Plus, the fact that I am a programmer has helped too. I let my programs do things that I couldn't possibly do myself ina timely fashion (eg. automated ebay auctions sniffer, personal inventory management).

Good luck on the trade-up project!

Pete

Ok, so I made 8 acquisitions since Jan 06. Spent 30mins on average with the seller each time to neg. and do the transaction. 3 purchases were for single books. 5 were for collections that I did not break apart and sell individually. Then, if you consider the time to list on eBay, picking up packaging material, and finally shipping via USPS, approx. 18-20 hours of actual work.